What's new

Scuttle Poll

FWIW, most of the folks who have bought GP seconds have reported that the defects are almost undetectable and are defects only in the finish, not in the construction.

I replaced a Georgetown Pottery G5 with a SchwarzweissKeramik S-Scuttle and it is definitely superior.
Georgetown now has the G20 and G12 which were improvements on the G5, so those seem to be great options given everything I've read.

Two important considerations when choosing a scuttle are 1) how much water does it hold? and 2) how wide is the 'inner' lather bowl?
More water will enable the scuttle to stay warm for a longer period of time. And a wider bowl will make building your lather more comfortable. My S-scuttle holds 16oz of water and the width of the inner bowl is 4.5''.

Last edited:
Two important considerations when choosing a scuttle are 1) how much water does it hold? and 2) how wide is the 'inner' lather bowl?
More water will enable the scuttle to stay warm for a longer period of time. And a wider bowl will make building your lathering more comfortable. My S-scuttle holds 16oz of water and the width of the inner bowl is 4.5''.

+1 Larger capacity is better, and for me, anything less than a 4" wide bowl is a non-starter.

I use a "Poor Mans" Scuttle...

proxy.php

$14.00 Dip Chiller from Amazon.

Keeps the lather warm, easy to clean (you can take it apart), and the price is right. :w00t:

I have only used the Georgetown G5. If something were to happen to it, though, I would go with a DB brush scuttle. I really don't use the scuttle to build lather. I just need something to keep the lather and brush warm between passes.

GP 12, but I have also been talking to a local potter who wants to introduce one in the Spring, stay tuned, will let y'all know!

I replaced a Georgetown Pottery G5 with a SchwarzweissKeramik S-Scuttle and it is definitely superior.

I agree with shevek. Not having the Schwarzweisskeramik in the poll is a major oversight. The "Panzer" of scuttles is all you'll ever need.

Don

This thread encouraged me to use my G20 for the first time in a while. Took a bit longer than usual to whip up lather this morning, but I ended up with a nice full bowl of warm creamy lather that lasted beyond my three pass shave. Good stuff! [emoji106]

Somewhere along the line I decided I "had to have" a scuttle so, I got one. It was fun for a few days then I got tired of it in favor of the next thing I "had to have."

My advice is get one that's pretty because it's more likely to wind up as a decorative piece than a useful utility.

YMMV

The Georgetown Pottery seconds are pretty affordable and many people (myself included) are not able to figure out what makes them seconds.
X2 my G20 Second is pretty near flawless. Not having used other scuttles I can't comment on best. However, I will say that my G20 is a damn fine product and a nice cold weather addition to any wet shavers arsenal.

I'll cast my vote for Robert Becker (who I understand is taking a well deserved sabbatical)! He gets 'alota' love here because he is such fine 'Potter' with great customer service!

proxy.php
"The things I make [in pottery shop] may be for others, but how I make them is for me". Tony Konovaloff

Plus One: Very partial to my R.B. scuttle

Top Bottom