What's new

Scuttle comparison: Crown King and Ebay "Traditions of Shaving"

I haven't used either of the scuttles you mentioned, but I would like to share some information about other scuttles that should be looked at.

I've been using the Crown King scuttle for a couple of years now and really like it. It's quality construction and it's easy to whip up nice warm lather in it. I have been using it in all season, not just cool/cold weather, because I really like the feeling of warm lather on my face. When I've had to use a regular dish while traveling, I realized how inferior cool lather is compared to warm as it feels on my face.

My one issue with the Crown King scuttle was that it was smaller than I liked for my Jayruh brush with a 28mm Silvertip knot. So I wanted a larger scuttle. After looking far and wide, I finally found this scuttle on ebay from "Traditions of Shaving". I received it a couple of days ago after waiting about 6 weeks for it to come from Russia. After using it a couple of days, I've found it to be excellent in whipping up warm lather. It's also really big compared to the Crown King.

The moral of the story is to consider the size of your brush(es) when choosing a scuttle. Size does matter in this case. Below are some photos of the two scuttles so you can see the size difference. I'm showing them with a restored Rubberset 200-3 with a 24mm Silvertip knot, which is probably more of a standard size than the Jayruh 28mm I have.

Nice write-up, John. This is my first winter using a scuttle, and I have the Traditions of Shaving scuttle also, in deep midnight blue.

Scuttle-b.jpg

I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems very well crafted to me. Takes a while to arrive from Ukraine, but seems completely worth it to me.

I copied and pasted my initial post from another thread so that it would be its own thread, and I just realized I forgot to cut out the first sentence, which will make no sense to anyone. Sorry about that.

Nice write-up, John. This is my first winter using a scuttle, and I have the Traditions of Shaving scuttle also, in deep midnight blue.
I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems very well crafted to me. Takes a while to arrive from Ukraine, but seems completely worth it to me.

I like the blue. I thought about that one before going with the white.

I have the Crown King and agree completely—it works great, but the bowl is too small. I would recommend getting the larger one if you don’t yet have a scuttle.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Two truly beautiful pieces! :thumbup:

Could someone post a photo of the Crown King scuttle with a Simpson Duke 3 or Colonel inside, please? I'd like to see the proportions with one of these two brushes I could use for bowl lathering. Thanks!

Top Bottom