What's new

Scuba's Str8 Shave Journal

Shave #1

NOTE: all shaves will be with Kyle's Prep unless otherwise stated.

Equipment:

Col Conk Dovo 5/8 Best Quality Str8
Illinois Strop Co Strop (thx to Bear Den) - 35 strokes on the leather

Pass#1
Awkward...definitely going to take a bit to get used to the hand positions etc which are different from a DE. It helped to know blade angles from my DE experiences, to have watched all the vids and simply try to adjust for a str8.

Cheeks went well with ATG. Chin...eh...neck...YIKES OWWW! All the hair goes E--W on my neck, so WTG is always out. But I initially went XTG down part way below the jawline (similar to what I do with a DE). Lots of tugging and catching. Adjusted angle a bit and tugging subsided somewhat....still there, but better.

Pass#2
More of the same...maybe a tad better. XTG on cheeks was flat out awkward, but I was able to knock it out. Neck...better. Still not the best, but its my first shave after all!

After this pass I did what all say not to...reached for the DE. Face was started to get that certain feel that says: "I can't take much more w/o irritation." I can't describe it...just get a feeling. Couple of quick swipes with a DE and I'm in BBS with no irritation.

WWR/CWR
Proraso ASB....good to go!

All in all...I can't complain. It was my very first attempt with a str8 after watching Lynn, Joel, Jockeys vids etc.

Tomorrow...shave #2!

Last edited:
Nicely done!

Who honed your razor for you?

don't give up! I'll look forward to checking in on your journal!

Nicely done!

Who honed your razor for you?

don't give up! I'll look forward to checking in on your journal!

Razor was picked up by another B&Ber and bought at a brick and motar store. I'm not certain who did the initial honing.

Also have a couple on the way from Richmondesi so I can compare how the different edges affect my face.

As much as I love DEs...really looking forward to this journey!

While I'm still not happy with my straight shaves, let me tell you the FIRST one is the hardest. The trembling hands, the instintive flinching.......

It's all good from there !!! :biggrin1:

Congrats on your first shave! With more razors in bound it will probably help you get more of a handle of what you like and what you don't. Variety is always good!

Congrats, not bad for a first shave - just hang in there, it will get better.

And +1 on the pics :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work, take it slow and it will get better!! As long as you don't expect a BBS right away, you will be fine...

Shave #2

Str8 shave #2 went much like the first....unfortunately, I havent had time this week with work and life to really take time to shave (wife gave birth recently to twins!!! :thumbup:)...so, needless to say I'm a little busy!

But, still thinking about my new str8 hobby in between visits to the little tikes while they're sleeping (no...I'm not so hopelessly lost as to be on B&B when the babies are around! :lol:)

Angles got the tiniest bit better with #2...I can tell this is truly the Major Leagues of shaving...its just going to take time and practice.

Cheeks went fine for pass #1. I even managed a nice swipe from my lower lip down my chin and around.

Neck still flat out sucks and is the hardest part....I can't seem to get the nack of shaving up on the neck with the blade up...just doesn't feel comfortable yet, but it will come!

So...now I'm off to hunt for a nice str8 to celebrate the kids arrival! Only on B&B would you find guys who celebrate this way...cigars? Well...sure...but I'll take a razor first :wink:

Congrats on the twins! I'm still new to straights, but I found a really shallow angle on the neck, especially going up, helped alot.

Shave #2

Str8 shave #2 went much like the first....unfortunately, I havent had time this week with work and life to really take time to shave (wife gave birth recently to twins!!! :thumbup:)...so, needless to say I'm a little busy!

But, still thinking about my new str8 hobby in between visits to the little tikes while they're sleeping (no...I'm not so hopelessly lost as to be on B&B when the babies are around! :lol:)

Angles got the tiniest bit better with #2...I can tell this is truly the Major Leagues of shaving...its just going to take time and practice.

Cheeks went fine for pass #1. I even managed a nice swipe from my lower lip down my chin and around.

Neck still flat out sucks and is the hardest part....I can't seem to get the nack of shaving up on the neck with the blade up...just doesn't feel comfortable yet, but it will come!

So...now I'm off to hunt for a nice str8 to celebrate the kids arrival! Only on B&B would you find guys who celebrate this way...cigars? Well...sure...but I'll take a razor first :wink:

Twins! Congrats brother!

Shave #3

Abandon all hope all ye who enter here....

Ugh...all I can say is ugh. Had a few hours in between trips to the hospital to get a good shave in...haven't shaved since Friday morning.

So, I broke out the Pen's BB shave cream...I mean...I'm a new dad right? So, time to celebrate!

Extra long on the prep...extra long on the hot towel...extra long on the stropping on my new Vintage Blades Red Latigo. Everything was set up great.

MEGA tugging, MEGA pulling, MEGA sucky overall with my Dovo Best str8. So much so, I only did one pass.

I know I'm a newb at this...and I know the thing had to be taking off some hairs...but I think I'm going to wait for some of my other razors to come in before I pass judgement. They say all newbs think their razors aren't sharp enough.

Well...I fit into that category!

After the dismal first pass and some attempts at a second, I picked up my Hoffritz slant DE. One pass and I was BBS all over.

FRUSTRATION!!!

Been looking forward to a good shave and instead I got this!

But...my wife says I have the patience of Job. Tomorrow (or likely Wed) I will try again...hopefully with a different weapon in my hand!

Top Bottom