What's new

SCS - Very V & B&B Bay Rum with a twist - Initial Impressions....

Fellas,
I recently ordered some goodies from the lovely Sue at SCS. As always - the items were shipped to me promptly, good service, etc etc. Only one gripe.... about 1/2 inch of the very V cologne leaked out in transit - and good god did it make the house reek! :em3000: I thought after having been covered in the stuff, and having everything in the package smell of the "Very V" scent - I would not be able to review/comment on the cologne fairly, as I had such a terrible first impression. Luckily I was able to banish it to the closet for a few days - come back to it, and wear it today.... and I am glad I did as I really enjoy it. Two warnings though - it is very..... very... did I mention very? potent stuff. One SMALL 1/4th spritz is all that is needed, anything more will be overpowering and simply overwhelming. Personally I am not a fan of the spray nozzles on these colognes at all as they have a narrow mist pattern and apply way too much product - but luckily they are somewhat easy to control, thus allow a somewhat managable distribution of product.

The scent - While it is a vetiver, it is not a "typical" smokey vetiver, as this seems to have more of a polished/soapy dry down to it. For the first few minutes - it is awful smokey/woodsy but the drydown is very fresh/clean and I received several compliments on it - which is not too common. I'd give this cologne a solid 8 out of 10 on scent alone, and give the price - it is one hell of a buy.

SCS B&B Bay Rum with a Twist....
I am gonna be honest here.... the only reason I purchased this cologne was the fact that it was a "B&B" item, and I felt a little guilty I hadn't tried it - and fellas seemed to like it. Let me say this... I was quite shocked when I smelled this stuff, it is simply superb! Without question this is one of my favorite colognes - PERIOD! Just a WONDERFUL masculine lime scent that has the longest lasting power of ANY lime I have experienced to date. While it is "Bay Rum with a twist" the main note in this cologne is lime - with a delicate, soft background of bay rum. This is NOT like a dominica bay rum, or a trumper, etc bay rum, this is a VERY soft, unoffensive, "polite" bay rum. While I primarily like the "rip your nose off" potent/sharp bay rums - this one seems to really capture the essence, and masculine tones of the bay rum while leaving the abrupt/harsh/ridgid nature of bay rum scents to make this a terribly smooth easy going scent. This is probably one of the best "daily use" colognes I have had the pleasure of adorning, and I simply cannot help but smell myself all day when wearing this magic potion! Although I am not head over heels in love with the atomizer top - it isn't too hard to control, and if you dispense too much of this fragarance - it will NOT be overwhelming, so the atomizer dispense rate is far less of an issue. Overall - at first I was a little uneasy about this scent (until I smelled it) but once I gave it a whiff, and wore it - I found out there is a heck of a lot more to love about this wonderful product than the B&B name.... it is a grade A - 9.5 out of 10 scent, with great all day staying power, a very unoffensive PC scent, and is simply a steal at under $10 a bottle. If you haven't bought this stuff - do yourself a favor.... buy some. While you may not think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread - with it being so clean, fresh, invigorating, etc - I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who DIDN'T really enjoy this scent... even you fellas who don't care for bay rum.

A BIG hats off to Kyle and Sue for this wonderful cocktail of pleasure!

On a side note - along with my order came 2 samples of Sue's new shaving cream. Personally - I was highly underwhelmed, but i'd love to hear more opinons on 'em!

Nice review Joel!

I also have the B&B with a twist and I was lucky enough to get a puck of the shave soap flavored the same way.
I always feel refreshed and scrubbed up when I use the with a twist.
This is one of the longest lasting fragrances on me also. I love it.:thumbup:
Super product from a super lady! :biggrin:

I too absolutely love the Bay Rum w/ Twist scent, but sadly, I can't say it has the same kind of staying power on me. After applying at approx. 7AM I find it to almost completely dissapate by 10:30 or so, 11 at the latest. But at that price, I can keep a bottle at home AND a bottle at work. Wonderful :thumbup:

The Very V IS super strong. It can be overwhelming if you don't take it easy. A different vetiver scent is true. I'm not totally in love with the initial spray, but it really gets going good after the dry-down.

The B&B with a Twist is one of my favorites from Sue. I was never a lime fan until I got my hands on a bottle. I'm actually wearing it today. Sprayed it on this morning before and I can still catch whiffs of it at 9:00 this evening.

joel said:
A BIG hats off to Kyle and Sue for this wonderful cocktail of pleasure!

On a side note - along with my order came 2 samples of Sue's new shaving cream. Personally - I was highly underwhelmed, but i'd love to hear more opinons on 'em!

I have both of these scents and really enjoy them. They are part of my rotation. Great job Kyle and Sue!

I also have a couple of Sue's shave creams and also enjoy them. They are in my rotation. I don't have a problem producing lather. The real joy is the slickness of this product.

I appreciate the kudos on the B&B Bay Rum with a Twist but must give the bulk of the credit to Sue and must also acknowledge that there were at least 2 other members of our board who were equally helpful in testing this product. It was a true group effort with the genius touch coming from Sue.

I am a huge fan of both the Bay Rum with a Twist and the Very-V scents. Sue has a very high standard that she holds herself to and both of these scents are proof. Additionally, If you have not yet tried any products in the Fairway scent, you owe it to yourself to do so.

While my visits to B&B have been pretty limited lately, I hope to get a little bit of time this evening so that I may put together a full review of Sue's new shaving creme line.

I only have one complaint about the B & B Bay Rum with a Twist- I ordered to late to get a puck of the soap that had the same smell! :crying:

Marty

htownmmm said:
I only have one complaint about the B & B Bay Rum with a Twist- I ordered to late to get a puck of the soap that had the same smell! :crying:

Marty

Marty,
I'd really like a cake of B&B bay rum w/twist as well..... maybe we should setup a group buy?

joel said:
I'd really like a cake of B&B bay rum w/twist as well..... maybe we should setup a group buy?

Absolutely-I'm sure if Saint Sue knew it would be worth her time, she would oblige. Then again, maybe she will make it a soap of the month- either way, we win!

Marty

Randy,
How about a Body Wash/Shower gel? I am waiting for delivery of 'Very V' labels for already bottled shower gel; Bay Rum with A Twist would also be nice I think.
Sue

Sue said:
Randy,
How about a Body Wash/Shower gel? I am waiting for delivery of 'Very V' labels for already bottled shower gel; Bay Rum with A Twist would also be nice I think.
Sue

Sue,

I've never been a big fan of "gels"...but, I'm open minded! The scent is fantastic. It has a somewhat short life on me, about 4 hours, so I just pack the bottle in my briefcase and re-apply when needed! Good stuff!

Randy

Thank you, I'm very pleased the fragrance has so much appeal. Every fragrance has such a different time frame of "staying power"; it's an impossible task, too strong for one person is too weak for another. I will probably offer fragrance in a dry oil spray later on as that is supposed to be more stable in length of 'lasting time' than alcohol based.
Sue

I love the B&B with a twist, but I do have one tip, SHAKE THE BOTTLE before you use it. My bottle ( the oils ) had separated, but after a good shake, I was back in B&B heaven.
Cheers, DJ.

The B and B lasts over 12 hours for me and if I do an evening workout--it's right back for a little aromatherapy. I agree that lime dominates. I like it and 2-11/sandalwood all from SCS very much.

The vetiver is something that I am still trying to get used to. It's not offensive but to my nose it is a foreign smell--I am more a citrus kinda guy. The initial spray even if just a fraction spray, hits me like a ton of bricks. Fortunately, it settles. I will continue to give it a try now and again--but I doubt it will be a go to scent for me.

Top Bottom