What's new

Scritchnscrub On Scritch, Scrub, Softness, Density, Backbone and Flow-through

Nice write up Then again we can dispense with the formalities and just describe a brush such as my Kent BLK 12 as....pure awesomeness!! :D
Much shorter review that way. Thank goodness this isn't a term paper.

Very well said Scritch.... Concise and VERY informative. I could have really benefitted from this thread back many years ago,when I first began buying brushes.

Superb job !

Craig

One of our friendly moderators, @ackvil, has just updated the OP which got corrupted during the forum update.
So, not only is it great information... but we can read it too now. :laugh:

A big THANK YOU to the OP @Scritchnscrub. :thumbup1:
A big THANK YOU to Jim (the Moderator). :thumbup1:

One of our friendly moderators, @ackvil, has just updated the OP which got corrupted during the forum update.
So, not only is it great information... but we can read it too now. :laugh:

A big THANK YOU to the OP @Scritchnscrub. :thumbup1:
A big THANK YOU to Jim (the Moderator). :thumbup1:

And a big thank you to you Cal, for catching the problem in the first place.

Peter

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd figured out what these terms mean through reading and context and experience but it is fabulous to see them precisely defined and explained and distinguished from one another when necessary.

In other words, this is a bump. Read the first post.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
And of course, if you lose it again... you'll always find it in the Find Key Informational Threads on Shaving Brushes Here! thread in the Shaving Brushes forum stickies. :wink2:

Yes, and your post today has an avatar worth mentioning (and saving, and stealing).

BOSC.2.PhotoShop Competent.jpg

Fully BOSC you are, and a gentleman of many talents.

I did not know of that information stash. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just bear in mind that you may not be entitled to display the MacCallum tartan. :wink2:

No doubt that's possible, likely more like.

I have very strong lineage, and am, according to my cousin, descended on my maternal side from grandparents who, by their marriage, reunited two branches from some ancient king of Scotland I'd never heard of, Malcolm, but I'm not sure which Malcolm. A great many of my origins go back to Scotland. But, there are limits, rules, and customs.

My wife by her Ancestry DNA has me beat with her clear Pict ancestry. Explains a lot.

I do some family tree stuff myself but usual limit my endeavors to this side of the pond. I find it interesting, but take it not so seriously.

I would display a tartan to which I'm not entitled only if it were understood I understand it is not mine (if that makes sense). The tartan rules are vague to me.

I'll stick with one I know I'm entitled to.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is likely the very best and to-the-point thread I've read on shaving brushes, so far. WOW, just WOW!

So @Scritchnscrub, I'd like to ask you for a BADGER brush recommendation. Say, I'd like the following:

No "scritch", scratch, scrub, prickliness or anything to that extent.

Ultimate softness of tips and therefore that pillowy, feather-like face-feel is all I care about.

Solid backbone, as I like to splay the brush when face-lathering in a swirling motion. That said, I always build the lather in a bowl and then proceed to face-lathering, swirling, mashing and ultimately painting the lather over my face. I hate "mops", but likewise I don't like brushes that are so dense that you can't splay them.

Good flow-through, although I don't mind loading heavily. I am not concerned about how much soap/cream the brush "eats". I have too much software anyway.

Medium know-size, ideally smth. in that 22-24mm range

Am I looking for the Simpson CH1 in Super... or are there better alternatives?

TIA!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message and glad you found the post helpful. I actually have a great recommendation for you but with the caveat that I really haven't purchased from any of the popular brush-makers that have cropped up in the last 5 years or so, other than for synthetic brushes.

As far as badger brushes go, I've stuck to the following brands: Shavemac, Savile Row, Simpson, Rooney, Thater, Kent and Vie-Long. Of these I can highly recommend Shavemac's 2-band Silvertip brushes, not to be confused with Shavemac's 2-band Silvertip D01 hair which has their best backbone but also the most scritch of any hair they offer. By the way, their Silvertip 2-band wasn’t available at the time I wrote my original post and in fact, please keep in mind that this recommendation is written at a moment in time and may have changed by the time you’re reading this post.

I have found this Silvertip 2-band knot to be just as you have described: Extremely soft tip with zero scritch, good backbone – no flop - and great flow through. They are really great quality knots and the price is fair by today’s standards – well under $200 for a 24mm brush. Though there are other hairs that are equally good or possibly a bit better – Rooney Heritage 2-band in its heyday about 12 years ago comes to mind - the price/performance ratio is unbeatable in my mind. And a Rooney brush from this era now goes for $200 to $300+++, used, on the BST when they pop up, which is infrequently.

Personally I’m not a fan of Simpson super in general. I found those knots to lack backbone. They’re soft but unremarkable. I think their 2-band hair is great depending on the batch but last I checked it’s significantly more expensive than Shavemac and Shavemac knots are very consistent.

Personally, after owning many great brushes including Rooney Heritage 2-bands from their heyday, I sold off all my brushes and have bought up used Simpson and Rooney brushes for their handles and replaced them with Shavemac knots. Of course, as we all like to say, YMMV.

Hope this helps and best of luck. Let me know what you end up with.

Peter

Top Bottom