What's new

Screwed up that recipe

OK, we all post our successes. I have a failure to report.

My neighbor gets some food assistance and from time to time he gives us items his family cant use. I always appreciate it. Yet I think he doesn’t like celery. Today he gave me two bunches of celery. I googled celery recipes. We don’t eat it much so I was looking for inspiration .Cream of celery soup came up. Lots of slicing and dicing, time and effort. At the end I was supposed to remove the bay leaves before blending. Well, I didn’t and it ruined the batch of soup. Although I don’t think it would have been very good even if I didn’t mess up the way I did. It was a bust.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That sucks, @Buster !

You still can't beat the guvmint American Cheese! We'd get that as kids and think we died and gone to hillbilly heaven!

We ended up with a BUNCH of celery from a funeral dinner this summer. Ended up going to waste, most of it. Wish we'd have thought of soup, as my lovely bride uses it in different chicken recipes...

Lol! What are the odds I'll remember this the next time it happens?

We are going shopping tomorrow for as many cases of canned goods we can find. We've got enuff toilet paper to last through another three plagues, and I've got deer I could shoot from my back porch, but I need canned corn and peas.

LOL, then I'll open a general store, bartering or precious metals good in trade!

Celery is useful for making vegetable stock. Saute onions, carrots (or parsnips) and celery in a small amount of oil. Add water, bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. You can add some herbs of your choice, also spices such as peppercorns and salt. Simmer for 45-60 minutes and allow to cool.

Strain stock and freeze liquid portion in small containers. It will keep for months. You can use this to add flavor to many recipes instead of using plain water. For example, soups, stews, pasta sauce, rice.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Clam and vegetable sauce for pasta uses lots of celery.

Food programs are not uncommon in my area and I have been given some of the extras from friends. In my experience, the celery is usually pretty tough. So I slice it as thin as I can before using it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Celery also makes a very tasty gratin. Slice the celery thin and toss it in a bechamel, top with grated Parmigiana and panko, and bake. Around here celery gets used quickly making soffritos or mirepoix for various sauces. The ends go in the freezer bag for vegetable stock.

Good for you! Celery belongs with onion and cilantro---in the trash can! I'd rather take a bite of Arko than a bite of celery.

I know someone who made an apple cinnamon cake for a church gathering. In their hurry they grabbed the container of cayenne pepper instead of the cinnamon... It was still good, hot, but good.

I do like celery and cream of celery particularly. The most messed up recipe I've been witness to is one my neighbor made nearly 45 years ago. She was one to substitute quite often. We had a get together and she said, "I'm making bread pudding!" Well, I was excited because I had made bread pudding and loved it but didn't like the baking involved. I got there and it was very obviously vanilla pudding mix with pieces of bread thrown in (not even blended in). Now, pudding is pudding, it was delicious, but it was not bread pudding.

Haha... oh dear, sorry to hear that!

For next time though... remember that celery is an absolutely essential ingredient for huge swathes of French and Italian cooking as part of Mirepoix or Soffrito. Which can be frozen to use later in whatever dish you desire.

[EDIT - I've just noticed @Atlantic59 and @Tirvine have mentioned this already! So here's a different tip - raw celery goes excellently with blue cheese.]

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I buy and go through a LOT of celery.
We don't eat it, but it makes a great dog treat.
Crunchy, and virtually no calories so the pups don't get fat.
Aside from that, don't have much use for it.

How many bay leaves were in the soup? I make a batch of creamless creamy tomato soup every week for my lunches, and sometimes i can't find the bay leaf and it goes into the blender with the rest of the soup without being a problem.

Next time I’ll make vegetable broth or the gratin? My neighbors are sweet retirees and give often from the food assistance. I pass a lot on to the art teacher at my sons school. Single mom with two teenage boys in an area of high rents. She‘s allergic to celery. My wife is not a fan also. That’s how I ended up in this predicament. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cooking failures?

Classic from my youth. I wanted pancakes for Saturday breakfast, and wanted to make them myself (from scratch). I had the recipe. We ate a lot, so have to double the recipe. So far so good, until I get to the salt. I don't really know what "tsp" means ... "tablespoon"? I guess so ... so ... add the tablespoons of salt. Then ... the recipe wants baking powder. We have baking powder and baking soda ... which one to use ... I'm confused ... but the recipe only wants a little bit so ... probably okay to just skip it and not use either. Oh darn, I think I forgot to put the salt in ... better put those tablespoons of salt in the mix!

Done.

My pancakes turned out to be flat, salty monstrosities.

Cooking failures?

Classic from my youth. I wanted pancakes for Saturday breakfast, and wanted to make them myself (from scratch). I had the recipe. We ate a lot, so have to double the recipe. So far so good, until I get to the salt. I don't really know what "tsp" means ... "tablespoon"? I guess so ... so ... add the tablespoons of salt. Then ... the recipe wants baking powder. We have baking powder and baking soda ... which one to use ... I'm confused ... but the recipe only wants a little bit so ... probably okay to just skip it and not use either. Oh darn, I think I forgot to put the salt in ... better put those tablespoons of salt in the mix!

Done.

My pancakes turned out to be flat, salty monstrosities.
I think I burned hard boiled eggs before. 😁

Top Bottom