What's new

Screens . . .

Anybody use them?

I assume they are meant to sit in the bottom of the bowl to prevent ash from heading up the stem and into your mouth.

Seems kind of gimmicky to me, though I suppose they "could" provide an air pocket when you pack your pipe.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Anybody use them?

I assume they are meant to sit in the bottom of the bowl to prevent ash from heading up the stem and into your mouth.

Seems kind of gimmicky to me, though I suppose they "could" provide an air pocket when you pack your pipe.
To make it perhaps more clear then some others have, screens are not commonly used in tobacco smoking pipes. They are often marketed that way...but most often used when smoking marijuana.

You won't be using one in your tobacco pipe as long as you're smoking tobacco!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Some folks have used them, but I think it's a solution to something that's not really a problem. I pretty much never smoke my tobacco down to ash to the point where I'm sucking ash in.

Now, if you wanted to try putting something in the bottom of the bowl, there are a couple of products out there which absorb moisture and create some space--Nording Keystones and Denicool Pipe Crystals. I haven't tried either, but I've heard that the Keystones are OK.

Now, perhaps a better solution if you want to prevent ash from getting sucked in and to absorb some moisture, is to smoke a filtered pipe. Filtered pipes typically use either 6mm filters or 9mm filters. In 6mm I like the Savinelli balsa filters, and in 9mm I like the Natur Meerschaum filters best, but the Savinelli balsa filters are also fine (I prefer both of those over the Dr Perl/Vauen/Adsorba activated charcoal style filters).

Top Bottom