What's new

Scratched my Fatboy :(

I made the mistake of trying to clean the head of my beautiful, shiny Fatboy with a green scouring pad! What was once a shiny head, is now dull with tons of tiny scratches! Has anyone been successful in buffing out micro-scratches from their razors? How did you do it? What did ya use?

Please help :(

:eek: :cursing: :001_unsur

The trick with polishing is to use a lightly abrasive polish (like Maas) in small, circular motions, usually with the corner of a cloth. Given the small size of the shaving head, you might try to use a Q-Tip. Just dab the polish on the Q-Tip, and apply it in small circular motions, with light pressure. Depending on how deeply you scratched it with the scouring pad, you should be able to polish most blemishes out. If you have a rotary electric toothbrush, you could try using that to apply the polish as well.

Yes, i had no idea the nickel would scratch that easily. Got to be more careful. I did it to my Futur a little too, but it's not as noticeable. No idea what I'm going to do about that matte finish...probably nothing.

Cape Cod polishing cloths work real well to polish up old razors, but you have to be careful because they take off a microscopic layer of plating. I use them on watch bracelets and cases, and tried one on an old razor and it looked just like new.

They are available in most hardware and home improvement stores.

I made the mistake of trying to clean the head of my beautiful, shiny Fatboy with a green scouring pad! What was once a shiny head, is now dull with tons of tiny scratches! Has anyone been successful in buffing out micro-scratches from their razors? How did you do it? What did ya use?

Please help :(

:eek: :cursing: :001_unsur

The only two ways to remove scratches on any surface is to either fill them or remove part of the surface layer so that all is smooth again. The trouble here is that you are dealing with an almost microscopic layer of plating on top of the base metal. The real solution might be to replace the doors with some from a sacrificial razor. (If it's only the doors that are damaged)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try giving it a polish. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to take it as a lesson to not use scouring pads!

Top Bottom