What's new

Scratch in Chrome - Fixable?

I noticed this morning that I'm starting to get some minor scratching on the top of my Muhle R89. I already have figured out what the culprit is - the head is getting dingers when I place it in my Dirty Bird scuttle which I have stopped doing effective immediately.

As far as the damage that has been done to the plating - what is the best method for buffing out the scuffs/scratches and restoring the head to its original beautiful flawless finish?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Minor scratching? (photos would be helpful)... I don't think you could buff-out scratches on a chrome plated surface. Chrome is hard. I don't mean difficult, I mean it's a hard surface. Leave it alone. Be happy. You could try... with metal polish and a soft cloth, or a wheel, but that's up to you.

Damage in chrome is going to be pretty hard to fix without stripping and replateing the whole head. You can try to buff out the scratch but you will end up removing some of the chrome depth around the scratch to try and level off the scratch, that could lead to more problems then it's worth. I would probably just leave it be.

Minor scratching? (photos would be helpful)... I don't think you could buff-out scratches on a chrome plated surface. Chrome is hard. I don't mean difficult, I mean it's a hard surface. Leave it alone. Be happy. You could try... with metal polish and a soft cloth, or a wheel, but that's up to you.

+1 i would leave it alone.

You could get another R89 to keep as a pristine backup. That way the scratches on your user razor won't bother you as much!

Leave it alone and live with it. You'll just make things worse, and without really good buffing equipment you'll never get the luster back that the factory put on it anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys - sounds like a good excuse to buy the rose gold R89 if I can ever find one :)

Top Bottom