What's new

Scotto's Musings on DEs

Scotto said:
Well, first shave with the Feather in the Futur was a success. In retrospect, I could have shaved with it wide open as I usually do, but discretion is the better part of valor, as they say.

I like these blades a lot. Very smooth shave, and they appear to do a better job on my gorilla-whiskers than the Merkurs do. Going across and against the grain with Merkurs, I always feel a bit of pulling around my chin and moustache area which can get a bit uncomfortable. Not so with the Feathers. These babies are so sharp that they cleaned up those areas with no discomfort. I am looking forward to cranking the razor wide open tomorrow to really see what they can do.
I suggest you don't do that all at once. As you open the razor, it's weight starts to become a factor. That is, just the weight of the razor starts approaching too much pressure.

Why not try a 6 and see what happens.

You didn't mention anything about this, but I found that the most remarkable thing about the Feathers in the Futur is how smooth they made the razor. I had used that razor over 40 years and just accepted its harshness. Then, with the Feather it was gone! I had to make sure I had a blade in the razor.

guenron said:
Hi Randy,
It's amazing how similar the results we are both receiving. I was getting 8 or 9 shaves from the Feathers if I was willing to accept the change me now nicks. I wasn't and now they get 7 days max. The Merkurs I can use until I get diminished closeness without fear. They do have a nasty problem with dragging like crazy against the grain on the moustache and environs when it is time to retire the blade. Seven days will have to be enough.
I was reading an article from the early eighties where two or three different testing agencies arrived at the conclusion that you should be able to get 40+ shaves from a "GOOD" blade (whatever that was). I can't get that even if I count each pass as a shave.:frown:
Ron,
That must have been an interesting read. I can only manage 21 passes or so before it is time for a new blade. There is no way I would ever attempt 40 or so passes. I would need a couple of blood transfusions if I tried to do that.:scared:

There is no way I would ever attempt 40 or so passes.

Randy,

I don't think you read correctly what Ron was saying. I believe Ron has posted making 4 passes per shave. 4X7 is 28 passes. 40X4 is...just wrong!

Randy

Randy,
Wow, I can see how you were cofused by what I wrote. I was figuring 3 passes per shave time 7 days a week equals 21. Whew, I would like to meet the man who has the cojones to go 40X4.

I am lovin' the Feathers. There are areas on my face that I never thought would be stubble free, especially around my chin area, that are now glass-like The Feathers are doing a great job in the Futur. Very comfortable blades for thick beards.

guenron said:
I was getting 8 or 9 shaves from the Feathers if I was willing to accept the change me now nicks. I wasn't and now they get 7 days max. The Merkurs I can use until I get diminished closeness without fear. They do have a nasty problem with dragging like crazy against the grain on the moustache and environs when it is time to retire the blade. Seven days will have to be enough.
I was reading an article from the early eighties where two or three different testing agencies arrived at the conclusion that you should be able to get 40+ shaves from a "GOOD" blade (whatever that was). I can't get that even if I count each pass as a shave.:frown:
My solution has been to change all my razors at the same time. When I rotated only DEs that meant changing blades once a month. Now that I use str8s in my rotation it has gone to every other month. I need to be careful to keep the razors dry.

Ok, so it's wasteful. But whenever I think about scrounging around for a better price on blades or the higher cost of Feathers, I think about how much my next tub of English cream will cost. Probably the cream will last as long as the package of razors. So, who am I kidding? If I used a less costly cream one time I could probably pay the price differential for years of razor blades. So, why think of price of blades? I won't compromise there just like I won't compromise on cream, where the savings would be real.

Scotto said:
I am lovin' the Feathers. There are areas on my face that I never thought would be stubble free, especially around my chin area, that are now glass-like The Feathers are doing a great job in the Futur. Very comfortable blades for thick beards.
It is quite surprising, especially when you've been using that razor for years with other blades. It's almost a magical combination, like the razor and blades were meant for each other. The razor always gave a close shave, but who would could have predicted this kind of closeness combined with a smootheness unknowwn to the Futur. IMO it's the chamrion when combined with Feathers. The slant is great, but the Futur consistently shaves closer.

With the Futur everything fell into place automatically from the start. I was not that lucky with the Vision. Somehow, it's weight and size made it a real challenge. After a lot of practice, I've learned to use it consistntly with negative pressure, and it's gradually coming up to the level of the Futur. I really expected it to surpass the Futur, but somehow the Vision and Feather blades are not a natural combination.

Joe Lerch said:
My solution has been to change all my razors at the same time. When I rotated only DEs that meant changing blades once a month. Now that I use str8s in my rotation it has gone to every other month. I need to be careful to keep the razors dry.

Ok, so it's wasteful. But whenever I think about scrounging around for a better price on blades or the higher cost of Feathers, I think about how much my next tub of English cream will cost. Probably the cream will last as long as the package of razors. So, who am I kidding? If I used a less costly cream one time I could probably pay the price differential for years of razor blades. So, why think of price of blades? I won't compromise there just like I won't compromise on cream, where the savings would be real.
Joe,
You are right on with your economic analysis here! I have three different brands of blades and the Feathers are the sharpest by far. The prices range from 13.9 to 55.5 cents per blade with the Feather being the most costly. Wow, so I am wasting 41.4 cents a week. I guess I'll just have to tough it out!:smile:

guenron said:
Joe,
You are right on with your economic analysis here! I have three different brands of blades and the Feathers are the sharpest by far. The prices range from 13.9 to 55.5 cents per blade with the Feather being the most costly. Wow, so I am wasting 41.4 cents a week. I guess I'll just have to tough it out!:smile:
And is it worth compromising your comfort to stretch it a few days so you can get it down to 30 cents wasted?

Back to musing....:wink:

Last week was kind of crazy, being off from work, having the Holiday, etc. I decided to return to my origins, using the Progress and a Merkur blade. Comfortable, adequate shaves. Unfortunately, adequate is not sufficient for me, especially after using the Futur/Feather combo for a while.

Today I started with the Vision and a new Feather blade. I have to admit it was with some trepidation, since the Vision and I have had a relationship with as much soreness as my first.... but I digress. It turned out the be a very nice, very close shave indeed. I think my muscles have built up over time throwing around these big razors. The knack of "negative pressure", as I believe Joe called it, is paramount so as not to get razor burn. We shall see how this week Progresses with this combination.

Been using the Vision with a Feather for a few days. I just don't like this razor. Too big, unwieldy, and likely to cut you if you run it with a lot of blade exposure. With a Feather in it, you have to be way too careful. With the Futur and the Feather it was smooth sailing, even at the most wide-open settings. Those were my Nirvana shaves, I think.

Methinks the Vision will wind up on the Trading Forum soon. I think I'll pick up a slant instead, with lots of $$ left over....

Well, I finally got my mitts on a Merkur slantbar. Weird looking little instrument, designed to get sort of a scything action to the cut, like a str8 razor. This is an "aggressive" razor (I hate that term), not for the newbie or faint of heart. The lore is that you need a Feather blade to get a smooth shave, and a Merkur won't show its greatness.

So of course I had to try a Merkur blade first.:tongue: Let me tell you, this is one impressive razor. For guys with tough beards like mine, it is sent from heaven. On my chin, the whiskers are super tough and dense. Even the best prep will sometimes not avoid some razor skipping in this area, and it takes multiple passes from different angles to get even near a close shave. The slantbar cut though these whiskers like a hot knife through butter. An incredibly smooth and comfortable shave was the result. It also produces the best shave on my neck that I have been able to get with any razor thus far. Very nice. If you are looking for a close shave and you have a tough beard, this might be your razor. I am going to keep the Merkur in it for a while and then try out a Feather. Stay tuned.

Scotto, Ron, I keep my Vision at the lowest and least agressive setting when I shave with it, and I have a very tough beard. Yet, I still get damn nice shaves with it. It's all in the angle, and in the light hand touch! :wink:

Jeff

Scotto said:
Well, I finally got my mitts on a Merkur slantbar. Weird looking little instrument, designed to get sort of a scything action to the cut, like a str8 razor. This is an "aggressive" razor (I hate that term), not for the newbie or faint of heart. The lore is that you need a Feather blade to get a smooth shave, and a Merkur won't show its greatness.

So of course I had to try a Merkur blade first.:tongue: Let me tell you, this is one impressive razor. For guys with tough beards like mine, it is sent from heaven. On my chin, the whiskers are super tough and dense. Even the best prep will sometimes not avoid some razor skipping in this area, and it takes multiple passes from different angles to get even near a close shave. The slantbar cut though these whiskers like a hot knife through butter. An incredibly smooth and comfortable shave was the result. It also produces the best shave on my neck that I have been able to get with any razor thus far. Very nice. If you are looking for a close shave and you have a tough beard, this might be your razor. I am going to keep the Merkur in it for a while and then try out a Feather. Stay tuned.

Scotto- This sounds very appealing. I may work my way to a Slant once my technique improves.

Scotto said:

I hate to admit it, but I get my best shave using a Merkur Slant with a Merkur blade - including my str8ts.:redface: Lately I'll been using it quite a bit.

Rik said:
I hate to admit it, but I get my best shave using a Merkur Slant with a Merkur blade - including my str8ts.:redface: Lately I'll been using it quite a bit.
I agree. I get a better shave with a slant using a Feather blade than I do with a str8.

I have to say, after using the slant bar with a Merkur blade for a while, I got spoiled. Unbelievably close and comfortable shaves, and great for my tough beard. This week I plugged in a Feather blade, and I have to say I was nonplussed. Can you get closer with it? A bit. Is it worth it? Not for me. I had some great shaves, and I had some days with burn like no other. For me, the slant is going to stay with a Merkur blade.

As a side note, I do notice substantial variation in Feather blades. Some are smooth as butter, and others leave destruction in their wake. Merkurs appear much more consistent.

Top Bottom