What's new

Scotch, where to start?

Chivas is the gateway. Try it on the rocks, then just with a hint of water. Now try it straight up.
Chivas has hints of most styles of scotch. Which do you like?

Just to make the point that tastes vary, I love Scotch, and strongly dislike Chivas. But I like Laphroaig, so I guess I'm an outlier.

I once attended a blind scotch tasting run by an irascible but lovable Scotsman. There were some greats in there. He was thoroughly disappointed with us when the group blind choice was Johnny Walker Blue. His point was that we had failed at our tasting duty, beguiled by the sweetening effect of sherry casks.

Tastes definitely vary. I'm not a fan of Chivas or any color of Johnnie Walker. For quite a while, I thought that's what scotch tasted like and had no desire to try any others. One of the great things about Scotch is the huge variety of flavors. You can probably find something you'll like. You just don't see that much variety in other liquors.

Brown liquors, I think I agree. But gin and absinthe have enough variety to give scotch a run for its money.
Interesting. I've tried a few gins and never really liked any of them. Maybe I've fallen into the Chivas/Johnnie Walker trap with them too. Only tried absinthe once, while I was in Russia so it may not have been the good stuff.

Hmmm, Lagavulin and Laphroaig yum! My choice.
I started by drinking Chivas.
Its fun to try different Scotch’s. Seeing how adding ice or water changes their taste. Especially when you’re paying?😏

Explore some blends here and there. They are reliable , consistent and affordable. Dewars, J&B or even Kirkland brand is decent. I’m not a fan of Johnny walker’s red and black but give it a go and decide for yourself.

Single Malts are fun to explore. im a fan of Balvinie 12 double wood and the other offerings as well but there’s a price jump after the 12. Glenmorangie, anything with glen on the label really 😄. After exploring for a few years I heard about Islay. Lots of peat smoke, leather and some powerful flavors. these are a love or hate kind of thing. I fell in love but your milage may vary? Lagavulan 16, Laphroaig Quarter cask and the 10 year. As well as anything from Ardbeg or my go to choices.

if you shop Costco you will find some good prices on blends and single malts. I hope you post some of the things you try.

Some great suggestions here. Welcome to the world of brown liquors! Considering costs, my “daily drivers” for scotch are Glenmorangie 10 and Monkey Shoulder. Slightly up the ladder are Macallan 12 and Balvenie Doublewood. I think the Islay’s are very accessible to bourbon lovers.
Recently I’ve been exploring Anejo Tequilas. Found some really nice ones.

Just to make the point that tastes vary, I love Scotch, and strongly dislike Chivas. But I like Laphroaig, so I guess I'm an outlier.

I once attended a blind scotch tasting run by an irascible but lovable Scotsman. There were some greats in there. He was thoroughly disappointed with us when the group blind choice was Johnny Walker Blue. His point was that we had failed at our tasting duty, beguiled by the sweetening effect of sherry casks.

I prefer sherry cask Scotch, guess I would have failed tasting duty as well.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

That is why bourbon drinkers seem to like Sherry or Port finished whisky, the cask imparts sweetness. It can certainly be done with enough subtlety to let other flavors join in (Ardbeg Uigedahl), but it can also just mask the Scotch (names withheld so as not to rain on anyone's parade).

On the subject of Johnny Walker, I love a dram of the red. Sure it is a blend and not a pricey one, but it's pretty good! As to Chivas, it is its own thing. I don't find it very complex, just smooth. Same with Dimple Haig, another 12 YO blend.

If someone is trying to "get into" Scotch the sweet ones are one accessible route, and the light ones like Dalwhinnie are another route but with very few options. I think the best way in is to put aside the things that make it accessible by sweetening or lightening and just jump into something that is distinctly Scotch like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Highland Park, etc. If you don't enjoy those, there is nothing wrong with sticking to bourbon or rye!

Don't give up on Islay malts if you don't like your first try. "This tastes like TCP!" Lots of people don't at first. Then, later in their whisky drinking career, they become firm favourites.

Can confirm. Used to be virtually unable to swallow peated Scotch. Then tried a Jura bottling and **click**, instant peat-monger.

Top Bottom