What's new

Scotch, where to start?

1636859896835.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As of late, I have begun to explore distilled spirits and have found two or three bourbons that I've really taken a shine to. My preferred serving is "on the rocks". I would like to venture into the world of scotch but don't know where to start. My budget won't allow me to partake of Pappy Vanwinkle's bourbon and the same financial limitations apply to scotch. Where to start?

I haven't had that one in a long time but as I remember it was pretty good. I think just about any 12-year single malt is a good place to start. If you really enjoy the peatiness, you can try some of the longer aged ones but 12-years are kind of a sweet spot for me. Nice flavors but not over the top.

Both Glenfiddich 12 and Glenlivet 12 are nice whiskies, and while some would classify them as scotches suited for the beginner, I don’t know that I’m one of them. I’d probably look for even less complex, yet smooth whisky like a Dalwhinnie 15 or Macallan 10 to ease your way into it. Scotch is definitely not bourbon.

Or you might even go blended with Monkey Shoulder which is a very good blended scotch at a great price point.

I’d stay away from the Islay scotches for now. While they’re my favorite, that full peaty flavor can turn some off never to return. Though when you’re ready, treat yourself to something decent like Lagavulin 16 so you get a taste of “good”, and then you can settle into Laphroaig 10 as a daily dram.

And there’s nothing wrong with enjoying your whisky the way you like it. I’ve known a few whisky loving Scots that ice their dram, so don’t let any purists tell you differently. Just remember that ice and the cold numb your taste buds thereby muting some of the true flavors of your whisky (which is why many people prefer their whisky on the rocks).

If you like ice in it - and I do cringe a bit ;) - then go all the way and try a Whisky Highball.
Glenfarclas 105 and Japanese Nikka From The Barrel are ideal for it. A Highball also works astoundingly well with Sushi and Sashimi.

My standard suggestions for Single Malts are The Famous Grouse 12y andThe Singelton of Dufftown 12y though. The former is an excellent blend of Single Malts only with a tiny hint of peat while the lauter is a typical Speyside with Sherry tones.

One high level idea is to do this by region ( get a rec. for each region ) and at your first pass at a bar w/ friends and/or really good food:

The regions are listed here:

Regions are vaguely similar ( people will object to this ) but the differences in regions are quite noticeable so you’ll get a nice breadth from this approach.

As of late, I have begun to explore distilled spirits and have found two or three bourbons that I've really taken a shine to. My preferred serving is "on the rocks". I would like to venture into the world of scotch but don't know where to start. My budget won't allow me to partake of Pappy Vanwinkle's bourbon and the same financial limitations apply to scotch. Where to start?

I would start with "blended" Scotch. First off, it can be more budget friendly. Second, you will be able to explore different distilleries all in one glass.

EXAMPLE: Peat Monster by Compass Box is a blend of heavily peated Malts. By sampling this, you can determine if the smoky Isle of Islay is where your tastes lie (or not), and then branch out into, "What aspect of the blend do I like?" At that point, you can look to an Islay Malt that brings those characteristics to your glass before investing in a Single Malt that may not meet with your liking.

The same would hold true for sherried Scotches.

The ONLY caveat I would make to this notion is that you should try Glendronach. It is a VERY good "value for dollar" single Malt, and a wonderful example of a sherried Scotch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been gifted a bottle of 12yo Glenlivet, where does that fall on the drinkability scale?

Give it a try! It's a very good "beginner" malt ... "beginner" in that it is a good, reliable, middle-of-the-road single malt that isn't overly "challenging" the way the more unique or advanced whiskies can be.

So give it a whirl and let us know what you think!

Speyside is a great place to start so the Glenlivet is a good starter whisky. By all means have it on the rocks but try it by itself as well. It might grow on you. I also recommend a Balvenie (Double Wood). The Arran whiskys are good value and are quite approachable. The best bet is look about for tastings where you can try a variety at a reasonable price without having to buy a whole bottle.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you enjoy bourbon, you will likely find the Sherry or Port finished ones like Macallan, Glenmorangie, or Dalmore pretty accessible. I totally agree on Dalwhinnie, too. It is very light and to me has a honey like pleasant note. In a bourbon comparison I would liken it to Evan Williams SB. Personally I find all of the big names like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Glenmorangie delightful on the rocks. Up a notch or two in complexity, I like a lot of the Glen Rothes and Aberlour. If you want to give Islay a try, I find Bowmore 10 and Ardbeg 10 to be among the most accessible. Both are relatively affordable. I would not spring for a Lagavulin or any of the pricier Islays unless I liked some of the more affordable ones. As you get into some of the Islays like Lagavulin or Ardbeg Uigedahl, I'd try them with no ice and just the tiniest splash. They are going to provide layer upon layer of flavor. Cheers!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Some of your choices were already on my radar after doing some reading once I decided to jump in. It's a relief that my research has been corroborated by you guys as sometimes these "best whisky" comparisons can be quite biased.

Chivas is the gateway. Try it on the rocks, then just with a hint of water. Now try it straight up.
Chivas has hints of most styles of scotch. Which do you like?

Top Bottom