What's new

Scotch, where to start?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Still interesting. A Canadian that really is a rye!

Canadian rye cannot be discussed without mentioning Alberta Premium.

1663878538011.png

100% rye, with a strong flavour more to impress the Islay fans than the Speyside fans. Their standard Premium (confusing, ain't it?) is inexpensive and a good experience ... even if a lot of people will end up relegating it to "mixer" duties after trying it neat.

They also offer, from time to time, some more "deluxe" versions with extra age or cask strength &c. Worth looking out for!

1663878734130.png

Personally, I enjoy the big smoky ones, the A'bunadhs, the Laphroigs, the Taliskers, and the Lagavulins (if you can find it, get a bottle or five of the Nick Offerman Guinness cask expression, it's a treat).

The Scotch I cut my teeth in is now harder to find, at least in the U.S. (…plus, a lot of their output gets used for Johnnie Walker Blue blends), is Royal Lochnagar. It's a nice smooth Speyside, well worth picking up if you happen across a bottle.

For someone trying to get into single-malt Scotch now, I'd recommend Scapa (a very gentle single malt), the Balvenie Double Wood expression, or one of the Glenlivet sherry cask versions.

Blends are OK, but I find them a bit on the bland side. IF you wanted to stay in blends for the time being, seek out Johnnie Walker, but look for their Johnnie Walker Green blend, which only uses single-malts in the blend.

And strangely, another path into Scotch can be an Irish, Connemara is an Irish single-malt. Usually, it's a path for Scotch drinkers looking to get into Irish whiskeys, but it'll also work the other way, for someone used to the softer Irish pot-stills to move towards the peatier Scotch whiskys.

Ice? I prefer neat, or with a mere barspoon of cool water, but if you're used to ice, don't beat yourself up. Eventually, though, try it neat.

458612_10150942834468521_707653309_o.jpg

Personally, I enjoy the big smoky ones, the A'bunadhs, the Laphroigs, the Taliskers, and the Lagavulins (if you can find it, get a bottle or five of the Nick Offerman Guinness cask expression, it's a treat).

The Scotch I cut my teeth in is now harder to find, at least in the U.S. (…plus, a lot of their output gets used for Johnnie Walker Blue blends), is Royal Lochnagar. It's a nice smooth Speyside, well worth picking up if you happen across a bottle.

For someone trying to get into single-malt Scotch now, I'd recommend Scapa (a very gentle single malt), the Balvenie Double Wood expression, or one of the Glenlivet sherry cask versions.

Blends are OK, but I find them a bit on the bland side. IF you wanted to stay in blends for the time being, seek out Johnnie Walker, but look for their Johnnie Walker Green blend, which only uses single-malts in the blend.

And strangely, another path into Scotch can be an Irish, Connemara is an Irish single-malt. Usually, it's a path for Scotch drinkers looking to get into Irish whiskeys, but it'll also work the other way, for someone used to the softer Irish pot-stills to move towards the peatier Scotch whiskys.

Ice? I prefer neat, or with a mere barspoon of cool water, but if you're used to ice, don't beat yourself up. Eventually, though, try it neat.

View attachment 1536874
The JW Green lost its allure. My last bottle felt thin and with an ashy aftertaste, the Blue is still an excellent but pricey Powerhouse.

I’m a big fan of Famous Grouse 12 though which is also a Blended/Vatted Single Malt but it’s getting scare as many other nice ones.

I would start by trying out some exemplars of different styles to get an idea of your taste:

1) Islay: e.g. Ardbeg
2) Campbeltown: e.g. Springbank
3) Pure cherry cask speyside: e.g. Aberlour A'bunadh
4) Pure bourbon cask speyside: e.g. Balvenie Single Barrel
5) Lighter single malt: e.g. Glenfiddich 12
6) Richer single malt: e.g. Dalmore Port Reserve
7) Japanese: e.g. Chita (or Karuizawa if you have wads of cash you don't know how to spend...)
8) Blended scotch: e.g. Johnny Walker Black Label

When you know what you like (and don't like) you can explore further but more focused. Also, I'd recommend buying samples. In the UK, we have the whisky exchange and master of malt that sell samples.

Personally, when I started I loved the Islays - the smokier the better - Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc. Now I prefer a bit more balance - Oban and Talisker 18 YO are the favourites...

<Royal Lochnagar. It's a nice smooth Speyside, well worth picking up if you happen across a bottle.>

Very hard to find. I have some bought at Heathrow, as I recall. Quite good. I would not kill myself to get more though.

Personally, when I started I loved the Islays - the smokier the better - Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc. Now I prefer a bit more balance - Oban and Talisker 18 YO are the favourites...
Exactly my path. Those last two will cost one!

Reactions: PWJ
<Royal Lochnagar. It's a nice smooth Speyside, well worth picking up if you happen across a bottle.>

Very hard to find. I have some bought at Heathrow, as I recall. Quite good. I would not kill myself to get more though.

Exactly my path. Those last two will cost one!

Especially, the price for the Talisker has run away - used to be around half the current price not long ago... well, well, that's life.

I am lucky that my palate is open to all Scotches. I drink more peaty/smoky pours in the winter, and then transition over to more Speysides and some Highlands as it gets warmer.

Reactions: PWJ
OK guys, Where to start with scotch? -- Just about anywhere will do, but understand it is an adventure, and scotch, whether blended or single malt is quite a broad subject. I think a good starter is a "sherried" single malt, i.e one that was aged in regular used American oak bourbon barrels (yes, that's what they use in Scotland) for however many years it says on the bottle, and then finished by aging for a short time in used sherry casks. A couple of examples along these lines, with which you cannot go wrong, are Balvenie Doublewood and Macallan 12. Unfortunately, scotch, single malts in particular, has really gone up over the last couple of years, new tariffs and all.

Best thing to do is collect your buddies and each buy a different bottle and have a tasting session. Do not try more than 10; it gets hard to manage, and your tongue gets so muddled you lose track. Six is plenty; live to taste another day! Have some good water choices with that and some not too overly flavorful palate-cleansing food during the early part of tasting - good bread and simple crackers. Save the more tasty food for afterward - some good meat, smoked fish and cheese and any old thing you like. Scotch goes good with "winter food", but do not eat anything overly flavorful, if at all, during your test. Do not pour yourself more than a half ounce of each sample while you're testing -- you're not trying to get muddled, you're trying to figure out what you like. Yes I know . . . anything worth doing in moderation must be worth doing in excess . . . but . . .

Oh, one more thing -- You've probably heard somebody say "put a little water in it to release the flavor". Usually they can't explain how this works or even exactly what it means; they've just heard it somewhere. I had also, and I used to repeat that advice. A trip to Scotland wised me up. We had rented an apartment right on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, and lo and behold at street level below us was a Scotch retailer. We popped in and they were of course dying to have we tourists sample their wares. The young fellow started off with the "watered" advice but with an explanation that made all the sense in the world. When trying scotch (or any other spirit for that matter), first try it straight up (no ice) full strength --a small sip - just enough to wet the tip of your tongue. It likely will numb your tongue to some degree. A numb tongue cannot taste properly - too much pain. Then put in a very small amount of water and try again, repeating this till there is a balance between pain and flavor that suits you. Every whisky is different, everybody is different, and maybe every day might be different for anybody. So sneak up on scotch that way. You'll eventually get the hang of it. Bottom line: It isn't a sin to water your whisky. You aren't less of a man by doing so. When you order a good malt in a good bar in Scotland, along with your dram you get a little pitcher of water, maybe 4 ounces or so, and this pitcher will be labeled with the trademark/brand of scotch you ordered -- similar to the way beer in Germany and other European places comes to you in a glass appropriately labeled with the brand of its contents.

Oh -- my favorite scotch? Talisker 10 -- Robert Louis Stevenson's fav. The only whisky from the Isle of Skye. It's peaty and has a finish described as black peppery. The more aged Taliskers lose a lot of that punchy character, and for the price I can't appreciate them.

Cheers!
Tony

P.S. -- In the long run, I'm more of a classic cocktail craftsman than a scotch or bourbon drinker. I'll try anything, though. I have won gold medals in serious multi-state and province beer competitions, but I don't brew beer anymore -- too much great stuff on the shelves these days, and I have to watch my weight, too -- ha ha! I digress, I guess. Ciao!

OK guys, Where to start with scotch? -- Just about anywhere will do, but understand it is an adventure, and scotch, whether blended or single malt is quite a broad subject. I think a good starter is a "sherried" single malt, i.e one that was aged in regular used American oak bourbon barrels (yes, that's what they use in Scotland) for however many years it says on the bottle, and then finished by aging for a short time in used sherry casks. A couple of examples along these lines, with which you cannot go wrong, are Balvenie Doublewood and Macallan 12. Unfortunately, scotch, single malts in particular, has really gone up over the last couple of years, new tariffs and all.

Best thing to do is collect your buddies and each buy a different bottle and have a tasting session. Do not try more than 10; it gets hard to manage, and your tongue gets so muddled you lose track. Six is plenty; live to taste another day! Have some good water choices with that and some not too overly flavorful palate-cleansing food during the early part of tasting - good bread and simple crackers. Save the more tasty food for afterward - some good meat, smoked fish and cheese and any old thing you like. Scotch goes good with "winter food", but do not eat anything overly flavorful, if at all, during your test. Do not pour yourself more than a half ounce of each sample while you're testing -- you're not trying to get muddled, you're trying to figure out what you like. Yes I know . . . anything worth doing in moderation must be worth doing in excess . . . but . . .

Oh, one more thing -- You've probably heard somebody say "put a little water in it to release the flavor". Usually they can't explain how this works or even exactly what it means; they've just heard it somewhere. I had also, and I used to repeat that advice. A trip to Scotland wised me up. We had rented an apartment right on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, and lo and behold at street level below us was a Scotch retailer. We popped in and they were of course dying to have we tourists sample their wares. The young fellow started off with the "watered" advice but with an explanation that made all the sense in the world. When trying scotch (or any other spirit for that matter), first try it straight up (no ice) full strength --a small sip - just enough to wet the tip of your tongue. It likely will numb your tongue to some degree. A numb tongue cannot taste properly - too much pain. Then put in a very small amount of water and try again, repeating this till there is a balance between pain and flavor that suits you. Every whisky is different, everybody is different, and maybe every day might be different for anybody. So sneak up on scotch that way. You'll eventually get the hang of it. Bottom line: It isn't a sin to water your whisky. You aren't less of a man by doing so. When you order a good malt in a good bar in Scotland, along with your dram you get a little pitcher of water, maybe 4 ounces or so, and this pitcher will be labeled with the trademark/brand of scotch you ordered -- similar to the way beer in Germany and other European places comes to you in a glass appropriately labeled with the brand of its contents.

Oh -- my favorite scotch? Talisker 10 -- Robert Louis Stevenson's fav. The only whisky from the Isle of Skye. It's peaty and has a finish described as black peppery. The more aged Taliskers lose a lot of that punchy character, and for the price I can't appreciate them.

Cheers!
Tony

P.S. -- In the long run, I'm more of a classic cocktail craftsman than a scotch or bourbon drinker. I'll try anything, though. I have won gold medals in serious multi-state and province beer competitions, but I don't brew beer anymore -- too much great stuff on the shelves these days, and I have to watch my weight, too -- ha ha! I digress, I guess. Ciao!
I have been living in Scotland for about 15 years and having developed a taste for a large glass of whiskey and soda on ice in South Africa to quench your thirst, I naturally explored the famous product of my new home country.

Try discussing what was considered "good" whiskey outside Scotland with a local, and you will notice a vague slightly puzzled expression in their eyes. Some of the brands like Chivas, Bells, Dimple Haig, J&B, and to some extent Johnny Walker are not commonly available from the supermarket shelves. Even if they have heard of them, it is not something any true Scot would ever consider drinking. Don't even mention whiskey and soda, or any other whiskey cocktail, or risk loosing all credibility. Ice is a stretch.

After starting my education by attending various tasting tours at the most famous distilleries, I discovered that my preference trends towards the lighter, smoother brands, typically Speyside. One of my clearest impressions is that the environment makes a huge difference in how you experience the taste. When you arrive at a distillery, the smell of the process is ever present and it sets the background before you have even tasted your first drop. After going through the history and the whole process, you can't wait, and when you finally taste it, you are sure that you have never tasted anything quite like it. A few times I have bought some of what I tasted, and really enjoyed, only to be disappointed when back home you take your fist few sips. It's never the same.

I once bought a bottle of Laphriog and to say the least, I didn't like it. I have tried other Isla whiskies since then and I must say that some are quite enjoyable, but still not my favourites. One that comes to mind was Tobermory, when I was visiting the island.

In my opinion a whiskey should suit the occasion. When I want to have a few drinks at a social gathering, I like a budget friendly, easy to drink whiskey blend like Chivas or Monkey Shoulder, it's good enough to really enjoy. When I want to treat myself to a single drink of something special, it would be something like Macallan, Highland Park, Old Pulteney, or some of the Speyside whiskies already mentioned.

The standard joke is the bit of advice about the two things a true gentleman should never do: Never get to friendly with another mans wife, and on the same level of severity, never water another man's whiskey. :c9:

I also profess that I adhere to the black coffee = prefer peat/smokey Isley scotch rule. I think there is probably something to that comparison.

I like Glenlivit. Dewars 12 year is actually decent. Not great but decent. Johnny Walker is decent but barely scotch in flavor unless you pass over the red label. I've never tried Chivas Regal. Cutty Sark is sorta drinkable for bottom shelf but I've got to be rolling change for gas and really have a hankering for a "scotch like substance" to frequent the Sark. I'm on a famous grouse smokey black kick now. It's pretty good for cheap scotch.

Teacher's is an excellent cheaper blend. I liked it a lot.

On the wagon. Scotch hasn't been fellating me lately like it should.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the various regions. See Scottish Whisky Regions Guide covering all 6 different Whisky regions in Scotland - Wineware.co.uk - https://www.wineware.co.uk/decanting/spirit-whisky-decanters/scottish-whisky-regions-guide. There are other guides as well. The one I linked is the result of a Google search for "scotch whisky variety chart."

I went to a whisky tasting sponsored by my college alumni organization several years ago. My favorites was Bowmore along with some other Islay distilleries. Two other Islays I have since discovered that I like: Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain. Other Islays are also good. Islays are on the smokey/peaty side.

Your mileage will certainly vary, but if you sample the regions, you may find a favorite. It can be a slow, but enjoyable, process!

Top Bottom