What's new

Scotch&Stowe Stainless on the Bay.

Just wanted to share about an affordable stainless steel handle. I ordered one because the cost was less than $20. I did not care for the head but I loved the handle. I lent it to a friend for his opinion. His opinion mirrored mine. He wants to keep the handle. I'm buying another one for myself knowing I'll trash the head immediately. The handle is that nice. (It might be a Maggard MR5 at a deep discount. I don't have one to compare it to).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Stow...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa7aaeb07

It looks identical to my Maggard "MR5". I glanced at their other available option, and they also mirror the MR handle. If pressed to guess, I'd say they both use the same supplier. Maggard of course rebrands theirs w/ the Maple leaf.

Last edited:
I received mine yesterday - The handle was good, weighed 75.3 grams, and felt nice and grippy in the hand. The "Scotch & Stowe" stamp on the bottom was slightly off center, and looked a little sloppy.

The head was a little less than mediocre. It has *a lot* of play for blade alignment, and it took me a good 2-3 minutes to line the sucker up. Once lined up, it shaved a bit more aggressive than a Merkur 34c, but not overly aggressive. It was actually a pretty good shave. But, because of the blade alignment issues, the head will make it to my scrap pile, and the handle will have an EJ DE89 head (or one of the favorites I have).

Overall, not bad for $14.95 (That was the amount I paid). For more than that, I'd stop at Maggards to get their MR8 (or any of the stainless steel handle options they have).

I sent them a offer and they countered offer at $17.49. I have to pass especially if everybody is getting it cheaper. It won't even let me counter offer again.

I received mine yesterday - The handle was good, weighed 75.3 grams, and felt nice and grippy in the hand. The "Scotch & Stowe" stamp on the bottom was slightly off center, and looked a little sloppy.

The head was a little less than mediocre. It has *a lot* of play for blade alignment, and it took me a good 2-3 minutes to line the sucker up. Once lined up, it shaved a bit more aggressive than a Merkur 34c, but not overly aggressive. It was actually a pretty good shave. But, because of the blade alignment issues, the head will make it to my scrap pile, and the handle will have an EJ DE89 head (or one of the favorites I have).

Overall, not bad for $14.95 (That was the amount I paid). For more than that, I'd stop at Maggards to get their MR8 (or any of the stainless steel handle options they have).

The first one I ordered had that same head. I threw it away too. The second head aligned the blade but the shave was still a little too rough for me. I'm going to try my Rimei head on the Scotch&Stowe handle this weekend.

Would love to know the weight of that handle, looks very nice. I'd be interested in the head of a few if someone is tossing them (after Savager of course).

-Stephen

I just received my new Scotch & Stowe in the mail yesterday. I bought it for the handle & have no use for the head if you are still wanting one.

Reviving an old thread ...

What is the outside diameter of the threaded end? Would anyone that has one be willing to measure it? I'm wondering if it'll work with a Gillette NEW (the SC or older LC head). It needs to be at most 9mm.

Top Bottom