What's new

Scotch recommendations for a bourbon guy.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
American bourbon and rye are not that distinct as far as varieties of whiskey

That had been the case for a good while, as rye whiskey was looked down upon by the broad market for some time. Very few examples existed. What few there were often included the minimum, 51% rye (maybe a little more) and still a heck of a lot of corn. So, yeah, they weren't terribly distinct from bourbon.

People really were afraid of the stuff. I drank a lot of Jim Beam Rye in college. While I actually did enjoy it, more important was that no one would touch my bottle when I took it to a party. Were I to take Beam white label bourbon, the angels seemed to get a lot thirstier, so to speak.

The last several years, though, have been good to rye. There are many more examples, and a lot more rye finds its way into the mash tun. My favorite (10th Mountain) is 80% rye. I recently got to try a 95% rye whiskey (Laws).

I think if you’re putting ice in good whiskey you’re not getting what you paid for. Ice reduces the flavor and especially the aroma, which is a big part of both the flavor and the enjoyment.

Instead, pour it at room temperature and use your hand to warm the glass and the whiskey. Let the aroma drift up into your nose before you take a sip. If the whiskey is too sharp from alcohol and this is interfering with your ability to taste it, pour a few drops of water into it until it’s dilute enough.

The Glencairn whiskey glass is my favorite. It’s a great shape for your hand to warm it and it concentrates the aroma rather than let it escape:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I think if you’re putting ice in good whiskey you’re not getting what you paid for. Ice reduces the flavor and especially the aroma, which is a big part of both the flavor and the enjoyment.

Instead, pour it at room temperature and use your hand to warm the glass and the whiskey. Let the aroma drift up into your nose before you take a sip. If the whiskey is too sharp from alcohol and this is interfering with your ability to taste it, pour a few drops of water into it until it’s dilute enough.

The Glencairn whiskey glass is my favorite. It’s a great shape for your hand to warm it and it concentrates the aroma rather than let it escape:

A little chilling is sometimes not so bad. But if you’re a purist, you’re not going to water it down with ice. A couple of chilled stainless steel balls does the trick.

However, the older I get, the less purist I get about these things. If adding a little ice or a little water makes it a more pleasing cocktail, then by all means do so.

If adding a little ice or a little water makes it a more pleasing cocktail, then by all means do so.

I'm not saying ice should be banned, especially for mixed drinks or even for whiskey by itself if that's what you're in the mood for. Sorry if I came across as absolutist. I drink Scotch on the rocks, too. :)

For whiskeys that have great aroma, though, that were spendy and that I'm sipping, I would rather warm them in my hand to above room temp to foster the aroma and flavor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Canadian is similar to American like Irish is similar to Scotch.
Say more, Ian!

Well, in each circumstance, you start with geographical proximity.

Then, overall, you have a certain similarity in style/taste/presentation. And in each case you have more variation of that in the "big brother" producer (Scotland & USA) compared to the little brother. Eg: Irish whiskey doesn't really have an Islay.

But put four glasses of whisk(e)y on the table, unlabeled. One is Glenlivet, one is Bushmills, one is Jack Daniels, and one is Canadian Club. In a blind tasting, ask tasters about them, and you'll end up with "these two and those two" time and again.

And certainly, the Scotch and American versions are far better known, popular, and ... as a result ... expensive. The quality bargains lurk in the mists of obscurity.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I prefer wheated bourbons, particularly Makers 46. That said, Walkers Black is hard to beat at the price. Crown Royal Limited Edition is delicious, if a touch sweet, and very smooth. It's only available in Canada.

If you dont like smoke, stay away from Ardbeg 10.

Well, in each circumstance, you start with geographical proximity.

Then, overall, you have a certain similarity in style/taste/presentation. And in each case you have more variation of that in the "big brother" producer (Scotland & USA) compared to the little brother. Eg: Irish whiskey doesn't really have an Islay.

But put four glasses of whisk(e)y on the table, unlabeled. One is Glenlivet, one is Bushmills, one is Jack Daniels, and one is Canadian Club. In a blind tasting, ask tasters about them, and you'll end up with "these two and those two" time and again.

And certainly, the Scotch and American versions are far better known, popular, and ... as a result ... expensive. The quality bargains lurk in the mists of obscurity.

Thanks. Interesting take. Irish whiskey used to be huge in the US. Pre-WWI and maybe II, much bigger than Scotch, or so I hear. And there used to be lots of distilleries in Ireland. Now Scotch far out sells Irish whiskey, probably around the world. And for a while Ireland was down to three distilleries, the largest two owned by the same French company. Until recently, I would have said the bargains and "finds" in Irish whiskey were few and far between.

Scotland has at least 128 distilleries owned by a big cross section of potential kinds of owners. But my understanding is that Scotch production is pretty tightly controlled. Not many bargains. I do not know how many bourbon distilleries there are or what the ownership is like. More than 50 I would say and fairly diverse. To me, probably a few bourbon finds and bargains out there. I do not know much about the Canadian whiskey industry. Seems to me when I was growing up, things like Canadian Club were a bigger deal than they are now. I think Canadian whiskey still has a pretty good rep in most of the states.

I have a couple of bottles pretty nichy Canadian whiskey, but I do not know much about it. I bet there is good Canadian rye we never see in the states, or at least as far South as I am. Didn't Whistle Pig source from Canada early on?

I sort of lost my train of thought!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@The Knize, there are all sorts of Canadian rye whiskies out there. We have friends that go back to Canada from time to time and always come back with something new (although not always a true rye). Canada grows a whole hell of a lot of rye, and a lot of that winds up in a bottle.

I believe that WhistlePig still sources from Canada, except for their "Farmstock" expression. I haven't poked around to confirm that, though.

There are so many different scotches you can try. It's like shaving. The list is endless. You just have to try them and see what you like. If you like peaty smokey scotches I suggest my favorite, Lagavulin 16. They also have an 8 that is excellent. And there is Laphroig, Caol Ila and Talisker. But there are tons of really good scotches. Oban, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Bruichladdich, MacCallan. Even the big names have some nice ones. Glenlivet Nadurra is a nice bottle. Each brand has several different offerings. Some aged in different kinds of casks. The only one I can't recommend that lots of people seem to like is Ardbeg. I bought a bottle of their 10 Year and I literally could not drink a single glass. I tried several times over many days to try it and I just couldn't do it. I found it to be disgusting. I put it away for about a year and then decided to give it another shot, thinking it was my taste buds. Nope. Same result. Gifted the mostly full bottle to my neighbor. Just try them and enjoy them all. That's what I did. It helped me find the one that I like most of all. Lagavulin. I just keep coming back to it and it hits all the right notes for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I tried several times over many days to try it and I just couldn't do it. I found it to be disgusting.

I'm still trying, and failing lol. I appreciate the flavours and the craft to make it but my first reaction was, it tastes like an ashtray that was rinsed with ammonia. I shall try it again however....one day.

I'm still trying, and failing lol. I appreciate the flavours and the craft to make it but my first reaction was, it tastes like an ashtray that was rinsed with ammonia. I shall try it again however....one day.

It seems we both have similar reactions to it. I've heard others who also said they couldn't drink it. My own recommendation is to not bother, gift it to someone who will appreciate it and find yourself a bottle that you will really enjoy.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It seems we both have similar reactions to it. I've heard others who also said they couldn't drink it. My own recommendation is to not bother, gift it to someone who will appreciate it and find yourself a bottle that you will really enjoy.

I do have one friend that only drinks single malts, but he hasnt been over yet for a while.

I'm a Bourbon kind of guy that is looking to get into Scotch. I had a dram of Glennfidich 15 year the other night on ice and it wasn't bad. Any recommendations for something not peaty or overly smokey and under $100?

Not too peaty or smoky? Glenmorangie has been mentioned, and that is an excellent recommendation.

I am a scotch fan but several years ago I received a bottle of "Irish" Redbreast. I keep 2 in the cabinet which looks like this was a good move given our shelter in place order. A very easy to enjoy neat.

Redbreast is excellent Irish whiskey, both the 12 and the 15. It might be a good way to ease a bourbon drinker over towards Scotch whisky, but it ain't Scotch.
I agree it is not Macallan 18 but it is a very nice other side of the pond spirit.

Top Bottom