What's new

Scotch - Getting started

I never liked Glenlivet myself. Although I do really like Glemorangie. They have a very nice line. Starting out with the sample pack of Glenmorangie might be a good way to go. It is nice because it gives you more than a taste being 10CL's each instead of a small airplane bottle at 50ml. Twice as good.
Balvennie Caribbean Cask is another nice one to try. Nice and mellow, aged in rum casks.

Bourbon is nice but not the same as Scotch, both are whiskies but are made from different recipes. I just started getting into bourbons this year and can taste the sweetness of the corn in them. Depending on how much rye is in the bourbon will determine the spiciness of it.
Scotch has a completely different taste even though it may be aged in bourbon barrels.
There are also some Japanese Whiskies(that are in essence Scotch but cannot be called that due to being made outside Scotland) that I have yet to try, but have heard good things about them.

So back to the original question, what to try. Have you seen this Map yet?

View attachment 618349

This should help you on your journey. Wish I had it when I started.
Go to the store and see if you can find some sample packs of different sectors and enjoy. You can choose neat, water, or ice whatever works for you. Always try different ways, but don't let anyone tell you how you should drink it. how you like it is how you like it!
Excellent chart! Thank you for sharing this.

The most approachable single malt I've had was Old Pulteney 12. Closely followed by Dalwhinnie 12 which has a bit of smoke in it, and Bowmore which has a fair amount of smoke, but much less than the other classic Islays.

Starting is easy! Finishing is not possible.

Echo OP statement that one should start in the mid-range rather than inexpensive! :thumbup1:

As others have mentioned, Highland Park 12 is affordable, and good.

Others I'd recommend starting off with are Tullibardine 500 and Ilach. Both affordable, and a good range of flavour.

This time of year is a great time to get into scotch. Mainly because a lot of liquor stores carry sampler packages of scotches. Something similar to the below:

proxy.php

These allow you to try a few different scotches without having to worry about buying a whole bottle of something you don't care for. Additionally, most good liquor stores will have single sample bottles for sale, usually near the register.

Alternatively, I would suggest finding a restaurant/bar with an extensive scotch list and try a few from each area of the spectrum to see what you really like.
+1 for sampler packs. That Quinta Ruban port cask finish is delicious stuff.

I didn't see it posted but Glen Moray 12 yr is my favorite scotch whisky. Just smooth. If you have a Spec's near, they carry it.

just buy some scotch, and drink it!!, it's not a test, you can't fail it!!, buy some, drink it, if you don't like it, try a different one, why all the pissing about??
Well, it's an old thread that popped up for you because someone else brought it back on the 29th. I'm sure he's made some decision by now. (I hope anyway!) But seriously? (totally not seriously!) You are asking "why all the pissing about" . . . on B&B? Where we can argue for weeks about the best Indian-lime shave cream? :a30: I have to agree with you though on the point that the only way to learn to like Scotch (or anything for that matter) is to buy it and try it.

I echo the sentiment to either buy sample bottles or hit a bar with a good scotch inventory. I am not a scotch guy. I have tried about 10 to 12 different kinds and it just doesn't do it for me. After hearing several people talk about the Laphroaig I ordered a glass at a very nice restaurant in KC MO and I hated it. I have had a couple different Glenlivet bottles and while I liked the 18 yr very much the 12 is just a bit too spicy for my pallet. Overall I decided that Bourbon is my drink of choice. I just like that flavor profile more. Not that liking Scotch is better or worse, just a subjective thing. Enjoy the hunt.

A lot of Bourbon drinkers do not like Scotch and vice versa. I guess I am a rare breed because I happen to enjoy both. A good Scotch or Bourbon with a cigar. Life doesn't get better.

Blended scotch tend to be a lot more palletable for the beginner. Look to Dewars, Chivas.

Last edited:
I guess I am a rare breed because I happen to enjoy both. A good Scotch or Bourbon with a cigar. Life doesn't get better.
Blended scotch tend to be a lot more palletable for the beginner. Look to Dewars, Chivas.

We are becoming more common, I think. :thumbup1: But I actually find newbies, when we do tastings, to take much more quickly to some of the singles than to blends- some of the less 'smoky', for example. Different populations, perhaps. :thumbup:

I am going to toss out there one of my favorites that was hard to find, but has come back, but for how long, I do not know. Johnny Walker Green Label. It is a single scotch blend. There is a lot of Talesker that is part of the blend, which is what I like also some Isle scotch which gives a hint of peat / smoke. The reason I say try this is that this is about $45 a bottle where some of the others are more expensive. Give it a try. Cheers

A lot of Bourbon drinkers do not like Scotch and vice versa. I guess I am a rare breed because I happen to enjoy both. A good Scotch or Bourbon with a cigar. Life doesn't get better.

I like both as well. As I like to say, "I'm an equal opportunity imbiber!"

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I prefer Bourbon whiskey, but my brother in law likes Scotch.

When I go to his house, I go down to his basement and drink five ounces of his Scotch. I consider it to be pretty good.

I am going to toss out there one of my favorites that was hard to find, but has come back, but for how long, I do not know. Johnny Walker Green Label. It is a single scotch blend. There is a lot of Talesker that is part of the blend, which is what I like also some Isle scotch which gives a hint of peat / smoke. The reason I say try this is that this is about $45 a bottle where some of the others are more expensive. Give it a try. Cheers

Where are you finding Green Label for $45?

Round here, cheapest I ever saw was $65. If you can find it (difficult since it was discontinued in 2012) it is closer to $75. For some reason I can still find a couple bottles, but I'm not sure it will last.

Top Bottom