What's new

Scored at Fat Boy, maybe to good to be true

Philly has some nice up and coming flea markets that are always good fun on the weekends. Today I decided to check out a new one down on 8th and Market aptly called the Franklin Flea. On any note I walked in and it was small by comparison so I dident expect much. I went over to the first booth and in a small box in the corner I saw 2 DE razors. Once was a Gillette travel tech and the other... was it... could it be... just sitting there... it was, A FAT BOY! I tried my best to contain my excitement. I quickly asked the woman how much she wanted for the two and she hesitated then told me she would do $3 for the travel and $5 for the Fat boy. I quickly handed her the money no questions asked and left with a big smile on my face. She did inform me that she was told there was some issue with the razor but I could not see it. So any way I put a blade in and decided to give it a go. First off, what a shave! My slim is going to be replaced...

But on to the problem, the silo doors dont seem to close all the way. I tried a break down of the razor to see if there were any issue but I couldnt find any. The issue seems to be that little ends of the bar are not pushing the doors all the way together. Its not a huge issue as it still shave fine but does any one know how to fix this?

The blade gaps are a bit uneven as well but I figured out that could be solved with a little bending of the base. Are there any accepted measurements for the blade gap.

The other small issue is that the bottom piece that unscrews is wearing out. I fear if I remove it many more times it may strip the threads. Does anyone know the thread size on that little bottom cap?

Regards
Dave

It has the screw style cap, I have taken it down 3 time now to try and get to the bottom of the issue with no luck. Its not that it does not close just that it does not close as tightly as my other TTO's. I shaved with it again today and it works fine so I'm just going to use it as is.

$photo 1(3).jpg
$photo 2(2).jpg
$photo 3(1).jpg

This is how it looks when its closed on its own
$photo 4(1).jpg

When I push down on the top you can see the silo doors close a bit more. I still cant tell if it effects the shave that much but it is an issue I can see.
$photo 5(1).jpg

Either way its a Fat Boy and for $5 I think it all turned out quite well!

Regards
Dave

Your doors closed, looks the same as all my FB's and Slim's.

The doors have a natural gap like that and don't fit snug or touching.

looks good to me and sounds like it shaves fine. I wouldn't muck around with it, if I were you.

Its not that they are lose or rattling but there is visible movement when force is applied, this is something I have never seen on any of my other TTO's. If you guys are saying its the way the Fat boy was made than so be it and ill just shave on!

Regards
Dave

Its not that they are lose or rattling but there is visible movement when force is applied, this is something I have never seen on any of my other TTO's. If you guys are saying its the way the Fat boy was made than so be it and ill just shave on!

Then don't apply force :wink2:

That's a nice score! I love my Fatboy. It never hurts to give it a good soak in hot water and Dawn.
Lots of questions that photos will answer. Also a really good soak! I do the boiling water and soap trick in a mason jar for an hour or so and then scrub with scrubbing bubbles. A lot of the problem could be gummed up interiors that a good soak will clean out. There are also two styles of caps on the bottom. One that is pressured on that is near impossible to take off without ruining and a super simple screw cap. Again pictures will help.

Your doors closed, looks the same as all my FB's and Slim's.

The doors have a natural gap like that and don't fit snug or touching.

looks good to me and sounds like it shaves fine. I wouldn't muck around with it, if I were you.

Ditto on mine as well. Don't mess with it or you might regret it.

I'm pretty sure mine all have the same gap, and my superspeed doesn't.

I would still do the soak in hot soapy water or scrubbing bubbles. Those TTO and especially the adjustables get a lot of stuff up in there. I thought my Fatboy was clean until I decided to soak it in hot water and dawn. That water turned nasty in about 20 minutes.

just had a look at my fat boys, both are the same as yours, for $5 thats in great condition, the little black ring on the handle is still black rather than brassed,nice score.

Top Bottom