What's new

Scored an SA-35!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
😸 The polynines are fine, but wow! Lookit that SA-35 rig! And your Hogue grips look great on both sides. (Lot different than my red cocobolos).

Just got back from putting another hundred through mine. Sharing silhouette targets with a bud, kept all my shots but one in the head. I really really like that pistol. Zero malfs, of course...

AA
This polynine owner agrees. There is just something stately about 1911s and High Powers.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I really enjoy custom leather, which (as with grips) adds so much to the carry choice.

For now, puzzling over what's on hand that fits. A surprising number do:

artrt.jpg

erytyy.jpg

AA

I really enjoy custom leather, which (as with grips) adds so much to the carry choice.

For now, puzzling over what's on hand that fits. A surprising number do:

View attachment 1622664

View attachment 1622666

AA
Hey, fold 2 old bath towels into a ~8 layer block and take a heatgun (or hairdryer you don't care about) to that shell until it loses form, then drop the towel pad atop & lean on it for about 1 minute & you'll have a custom mold fit!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Broke down and ordered the Sarco 21-round BHP mags. Though no-name - or made by them - I suspect they'll work fine as range mags. Springs will be closely examined. This SA-35 simply doesn't want to jam - at least with MecGars!

15s work, but a 13-rounder is shortchanging yourself. The ProMag 32-rounder is ridiculous and their products have a poor reputation. The MecGar BHP 20 is out of production and expensive ... so are the +2 kits. But the MecGar 20s work super well in Beretta M9. Hopefully these Sarco mags (or at worst, mag bodies) are decent.

er.png

ER would know. His K98 held five, the British SMLE ten, and the American Garand eight. We know who won! :001_tongu

AA

Last edited:
Broke down and ordered the Sarco 21-round BHP mags. Though no-name - or made by them - I suspect they'll work fine as range mags. Springs will be closely examined. This SA-35 simply doesn't want to jam - at least with MecGars!

15s work, but a 13-rounder is shortchanging yourself. The ProMag 32-rounder is ridiculous and their products have a poor reputation. The MecGar BHP 20 is out of production and expensive ... so are the +2 kits. But the MecGar 20s work super well in Beretta M9. Hopefully these Sarco mags (or at worst, mag bodies) are decent.

View attachment 1628991

ER would know. His K98 held five, the British SMLE ten, and the American Garand eight. We know who won! :001_tongu

AA
Its been a long time singe I played with an M9, you might check how close the fit is in the SA35. I made my own Sig P250 30 rounders out of PX 4 Storm mags.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Its been a long time singe I played with an M9, you might check how close the fit is in the SA35. I made my own Sig P250 30 rounders out of PX 4 Storm mags.
No, no; mags for guns as designated... I was rambling or unclear there. Never even tried sticking a Beretta mag in the SA - shocking to think it might fit or work, actually! 😸

AA

No, no; mags for guns as designated... I was rambling or unclear there. Never even tried sticking a Beretta mag in the SA - shocking to think it might fit or work, actually! 😸

AA
I get it, but when they first came out the Sig mags were $60/ea. I got the Storm mags for $20/ea.:biggrin: Even if I'd had to change followers, I was well ahead of the game!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Outside my lane. I have never owned a H-Power, just an admired from afar. I would trust new mags by FN and MecGar in any capacity. I would be inclined to trust anything Mil Surplus as well as those mags made in client/license companies i.e. ARgentina, Israel, South Africa etc. I am sure the is a BB like forum for the BHP which Has the low down on Mags and Mag sellers:

For your review. I am not vouching for these folks as I have never done business with them. My go to has always been the big three Midway/Brownells/CDNN.

how about 21 rounds

PS- I am told the the new HIGH POWER 17 and 17 + rounders are NOT comparable with the original Hi-Power/SA -35 and other recently released clones. FWIW

Sarco 21-rounders arrive, and they are excellent! Thanks @dojpros

Signs of long-term storage (oiled bags), so I took them apart to clean and lube - impressive! Black, coated magazine springs. Follower is solid plastic. QC seems very good and they fit, function and drop free. Now to shoot 'em!

dfzgg.jpg

Exactly what I'm looking for. Do not mind a slight extension, to pick up 6 more rounds!

ghjjj.jpg

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I looked at a SA-35 at my LGS. I was impressed on how much it felt like a 1911 even thought it holds almost double the ammo. Did I score it...no, I like being married.
It borrows, much, they say; from 1911, whose patents ran out just a few years before the BHP was finished. I get it, but never loved a 1911 like I do this SA-35. I just shoot it a little better than the others.

Speaking of love, still can't believe Mrs. AA blessed this; I'm fortunate twice! :lol: As long as I get away with the grips, magazines, holster ... :blushing: the flap holster can hold a 21-rounder, too.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
150+ rounds through the Sarco 21-rounders only; one odd "pop-up" malf. 🤔 Going to attribute this to the spring settling... Ran 84 more rounds through that mag and could not replicate the malfunction. It was the first run through that mag. These may have been in Sarco's warehouse for many years, who knows. Or my disassembly. The followers do sit up a bit higher than the MecGars. While I'm passing out blame, the Uplula loader wasn't getting squeezed fully. Safe to not blame the SA-35, I think. Shooting was just OK, too much cold brew coffee! 🤣 I'm in the vicinity of 1K rounds now with only 2 malfs, and neither was the gun.

It is extraction issues after 800 rounds that bothered the low serial SA-35s... This one is 16Kseries. None of that seen yet...

AA

IMG_20230407_100806_HDR_edit_1680890357193.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 1628991

AA
this quote is the result of a face to face during WWI. he took a bayonet in the leg and had one more round than the other guy as I recall. and as an officer, he was likely carrying a pistol.

I can't remember what the French carried, Brits still had the SMLE, US 1903s.

Last edited:
this quote is the result of a face to face during WWI. he took a bayonet in the leg and had one more round than the other guy as I recall. and as an officer, he was likely carrying a pistol.

The French carried the Lebel 1886 mostly, a revolution for it's time. First small bore cartridge at 8mm, bolt action but tube magazine under the barrel. Like the fate of many highly advanced 'firsts', it was quickly overtaken by competitors, especially in using stripper clips.

Funny, but the Luger had 8 rounds, so did the Lebel.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

🤔 I have a copy of Rommel's book, "Infantry Attacks," but haven't read it in decades. I recall the WWI fighting in the Italian mountains was really bad, Artillery causes rock splinters...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The SA-35 is yet another great frame from Tisas.
🤔 I heard rumors the frame blanks were Italian or whomever makes forgings for Glocks... But you're right (link below). It can be American made and still have a Turkish forged frame IMO, though some nit-pickers out there disagree...

Wow, great read.
"... let me say I believe this to be maybe the most important handgun introduction since 1982.

" Why? Because I also believe the Browning Hi-Power was and remains one of the top three fighting pistols ever created. Present any argument you like, but it’s still in military use all over the world and has been used by more militaries than any other handgun... "

" SA-35 should get the gun of the year award for 2022, and I’ll offer it as Springfield Armory’s best-ever contribution to the world of firearms."

🤔 Man, how did I miss this review? Thanks for making me dig re:frame forging.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yet another grip swap, this time for Altamont silver walnut. (Not among those who that think grips permanent. I have a ridiculous number of K-frame grips, for example. I change them like watch straps. Anyways).

It's interesting, but aftermarket grips for BHP have been fairly limited over the years. Hopefully this will change. Last time I looked Altamont was not producing their BHP wood grips, so. Found a place on the bay with several new sets, cheaper than mfg).

sdfsf.jpg

dsfff.jpg

These are interesting. They make the Hogue cocobolo feel like slim-fit; these are bulkier/higher/more hand-filling. The sharp edge on the transition makes for a firm(er) grip - considering these are smooth, that's good. These may make excellent target grips. The Hogue's slimmer feel would be better for carry, though.

I have a pair of these Altamont silver walnuts on a K-frame that I'm fond of, so. Now they can match.

full

edit: hey, forgot they also match the Ruger BH:
full

AA

🤔 I have a copy of Rommel's book, "Infantry Attacks," but haven't read it in decades. I recall the WWI fighting in the Italian mountains was really bad, Artillery causes rock splinters...

AA
And steel splinters. And quite loud noises. Not welcome during tea, obviously

Top Bottom