What's new

Scored an SA-35!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After hounding the local range/gun store (LGS) for - admittedly, months - I finally got my hands on a Springfield Armory SA-35.

There WAS a waiting list, and I wasn't on it. But when one finally came in, No1 guy on the list had just bought two guns, and No2 guy snagged one online. Did I want it? After a quick exam... Hayll yeah! Shot it today.

IMG_20230128_091342446.jpg

Ergos are astounding, if you've never handled or shot one. Pointability is amazing. It's smaller than I realized, and will carry very well. I had toyed with the idea of getting a G19, seeing a need for "larger than micro nine carry but smaller than G17 or M9." This is it.

Watched about 30 YouTube videos and yeah, low serial pistols had some extraction issues around 800 rounds. This one's serial is 16K-something, and I firmly believe that SA has addressed these issues. Still, will keep a round count.

Steel frame and 31-oz weight means mild recoiling and little jump. Mrs. AA can shoot this certainly. It's a sweet target pistol and conceals on me, anyways. Seems to fit right in a K-frame holster. Only one mag, made by Mec Gar (good! They run flawless in M9) but mags are readily available online, $25 Mec Gar, $40 branded SA Mec Gars.

Initial range trip: fired 3x brands of ammo, 115-147 grains, ball and JHPs. Flawless. I did put hold Glock grease on its rails yesterday. Cost was MSRP, but I got a free month at the range, and that's $20 a pop, so. Going to beat that up.

IMG_20230128_092318384.jpg

🤔 I like it, lots, and agree with everyone who says nice things! Why didn't I get a Browning HP years ago? Seriously do like this more than 1911 - blasphemy, perhaps, but it's ok to like one of JMB's daughters better...

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Out-freaking-standing!
Thanks! 😂 The gun is "magnifique," gotta say. Points like a good dog. Shoots like a 22. Clever engineering, love its manual of arms, safety etc. Even the wife admits its lines are beautiful... after she watched all those YouTube videos with me. 🤔 Since I haven't bought a new toy in years, even had HER blessing!

AA

Edit: got done shooting and I was like, "where did all my ammo go?"

Emptied the range bag, "man, that's a lot of brass..."

Last edited:
Ok, have to ask... has it made you do the prone-fall-roll-to-the-side-while-shooting-ahead SAS drill yet? Successfully. With real bullets. At the range, if your wife is sensitive to loud noises in the basement?

If you have...you are a confirmed BHP afficianado.😁

I'm jealous!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, have to ask... has it made you do the prone-fall-roll-to-the-side-while-shooting-ahead SAS drill yet? Successfully. With real bullets. At the range, if your wife is sensitive to loud noises in the basement?

If you have...you are a confirmed BHP afficianado.😁

I'm jealous!
🤔 Hmmm.... No, haven't done that. Military historian and casual target shooter here. Too old for SAS drills, unfortunately. But the gun? Do I have buyer's remorse, or any regrets?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 🤣

Love this SA-35 more every day. Can't wait to get back to the range! Let me try to find something wrong, I hate all these glowing reviews...

🤔 It is a tad heavy with 15 147-grainers onboard. That is, if you're used to carrying a poly wondernine. However it's slim profile and smaller size make concealed carry possible, just need the right carry rig. I've identified a few. 😉 I have whined about carrying a 1911; true, that one's heavy too - and a lot bulkier. Bulk is key, IMO. BHPs are compact, slim and elegant. This can carry.

Dryfiring this a lot is inspiring "no-miss" confidence, which is a very good thing with CCW. The trigger and sight picture are so good, when it goes 'click' it surely satisfies. I had High Standard 22 target pistol once that seemed to never miss. When people noticed on the range, I would invite them to shoot it and THEY didn't miss. The SA-35 is like that, but in 9mm.

Just get one. They are starting to finally appear!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I want to, but after buying the Colt I also want to stay married. :lol1:

That was the best part - I immediately came clean, and she accepted it with grace. :tongue3: I'm very fortunate. We do have some significant stressors going on, she might think I need a morale boost. Check!

Bonus pic:

sadtt.jpg

More 15-round mags come today, and I need another K of 9 ...

The 17-rounders are a bit problematic. Brownells indicates the ones they have are ONLY for the new FN 2022 gun:

AA

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I went by the LGS today to see if they had any SA-35s in stock. They did not. If they had, price would have been $775, just a tad under MSRP. They did have some Girsan P-35 clones for much less, but these have the magazine disconnect safety feature. Trigger pull was not very smooth but would probably smooth out with use. Liked the size and feel of the gun's ergonomics, but a bit too crude and the mag disco is a deal breaker for me. I assume that could be disabled, but I'll wait for a Springfield Armory product.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went by the LGS today to see if they had any SA-35s in stock. They did not. If they had, price would have been $775, just a tad under MSRP. They did have some Girsan P-35 clones for much less, but these have the magazine disconnect safety feature. Trigger pull was not very smooth but would probably smooth out with use. Liked the size and feel of the gun's ergonomics, but a bit too crude and the mag disco is a deal breaker for me. I assume that could be disabled, but I'll wait for a Springfield Armory product.

Exactly. That's what made me bite – I absolutely hate mag disconnects, and the safety lever is improved - important on this model. Comes with a 5-lb trigger; it's wonderful. The hammer won't bite, either. The only discount I got was free range for a month, and that's going to be over $100 value, hopefully $200! :letterk1:

Still. If I saw one with tangent sight, circa 1940s ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A few more range pix... 🤔 You know that got to shoot this thing!
IMG_20230203_101911362.jpg

Also got invited to shoot bowling pins with the employees, which was really fun. They're going to start doing Sunday bowling pin matches. I really don't like shooting competition, but might make an exception for that.

IMG_20230203_102345630.jpg

Another target. I pull a little to the left, bad habit.

IMG_20230203_102206129.jpg

Gray dog muzzle! 🤣 Really liking the SA-35.

🤔 Now. Full disclosure. I had one stovepipe after 250 rounds. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it was some oddball foreign ammo, Belen or something, and it's entirely possible I limpwristed the shot; was getting fatigued and leaning one shoulder on the wall. Also, a break in period should be expected in any semiautomatic.

🤔 I'd still say the only fault is slightly odd grain in the grips, but. Something is coming in the mail...

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A few more range pix... 🤔 You know that got to shoot this thing!
View attachment 1599725

Also got invited to shoot bowling pins with the employees, which was really fun. They're going to start doing Sunday bowling pin matches. I really don't like shooting competition, but might make an exception for that.

View attachment 1599729

Another target. I pull a little to the left, bad habit.

View attachment 1599730

Gray dog muzzle! 🤣 Really liking the SA-35.

🤔 Now. Full disclosure. I had one stovepipe after 250 rounds. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it was some oddball foreign ammo, Belen or something, and it's entirely possible I limpwristed the shot; was getting fatigued and leaning one shoulder on the wall. Also, a break in period should be expected in any semiautomatic.

🤔 I'd still say the only fault is slightly odd grain in the grips, but. Something is coming in the mail...

AA

Wow, that second target!

250 rounds? One stovepipe? It was the ammo.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow, that second target!

250 rounds? One stovepipe? It was the ammo.
It was only about ten yards. 🙏

Quite possibly. Spring's fairly stiff for a nine and I was definitely getting tired. Wish I got bowling pin pix, but that was impromptu.

Keeping a round count. Mags were supposed to be in yesterday's mail, but. These days... Hope they come today, want to scrutinize any differences.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Regular Mec-Gar mags arrive, identical to the one (chintzy!) SA mag but for their logo stamp. Find out how they work tomorrow...

AA

Top Bottom