What's new

Score at the Junk Store

We have a junk store in downtown Catonsville that fancies itself an antique mart... but mostly it's just junk (antique junk is still JUNK, right?). At any rate, last night I scored a GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf, in damn near cherry condition, for the princely sum of $8.00, which I thought was reasonable.

I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see.

The twist-end is cylindrical (not bullet shaped), and the patent numbers listed on the rear of the beast were from 1946 (thank you Google patent search), so I'm thinking it's from the 50's - 60's ? Oh, it seems like it's silver-chromed brass.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really love the look of this thing, but I have to be honest when I say that the thought of shaving with the same kind of blade that's in a boxcutter isn't doing much for me.

-Tom

We have a junk store in downtown Catonsville that fancies itself an antique mart... but mostly it's just junk (antique junk is still JUNK, right?). At any rate, last night I scored a GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf, in damn near cherry condition, for the princely sum of $8.00, which I thought was reasonable.

I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see.

The twist-end is cylindrical (not bullet shaped), and the patent numbers listed on the rear of the beast were from 1946 (thank you Google patent search), so I'm thinking it's from the 50's - 60's ? Oh, it seems like it's silver-chromed brass.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really love the look of this thing, but I have to be honest when I say that the thought of shaving with the same kind of blade that's in a boxcutter isn't doing much for me.

-Tom

Nice score for $8 !!! Obviously we all want to see pics!:lol:

You can go to CVS or Walgreens and find the hygiene/shaving grade Persona Gem blades. The box cutter blades are industrial grade. At any rate, the Micromatic is a little aggressive, so there will be a learning curve should you decide to shave with it.

DL

Sounds like a good deal. Yep, that's a chrome Micromatic Clog-Pruf. Yes, we'd love to see pics, also your thoughts after you have tried it.:thumbup1:

The Clog-Pruf gives a great shave.

Do not try to shave with a box cutter blade, you will be sorry. Sure they look similar, but that's where the similarity ends, the looks. The shave grade blades have a different edge than the box cutter blades.
You can find blades at local drug stores like Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, CVS, and probably others. There, you should find brands like Gem, Treet, Pal, or in the case of CVS you'll find thier store brand blades. These blades are found with the rest of the shaving stuff and cartridge refills. If you find single edge razor blades in any other part of a store besides the shaving section, then do not get them.

For the locally available blades, I find the Gems at walgreen's to be satisfactory. They are stainless steel and you won't have to worry about rusting. The Treet blades I got at rite-aid are carbon steel and are prone to rust if you do not take them out and, carefully, wipe them dry after every shave. They seem sharper than the stainless steel blades, but I can only use them for 2 maybe 3 shaves whereas I can use the stainless steel blades for 5-7 shaves.

One last thing, when you have the right angle, these SE razors will let you know with that reassuring "scritch-scritch" sound as they slice through the whiskers.

Now, congrats on a good score and enjoy your shave with the Clog-Pruf. :thumbup1:

It is a great shaver, I love the micromatics. Flat on your face and no pressure. You'll love it. If not, send it to me!

Ok fellas, so I stopped off at the Walgreen's last night on the way home from work, and sure enough, there they were: GEM Blades by Personna. I purchased a package (which, incidentally, was locked behind plexiglass with the carts) for maybe five bucks and change.

When I got home, I opened the package and studied the blades. It blows my mind that I've lived forty years and never knew that the single-edge blades everyone uses in widgets and such is actually patterned on a real razor blade. I don't know why I find this so interesting (well, I do know why, because I'm a FREAKING DORK!!!), but hey, there it is.

I twisted the bottom of my newly purchased and well cleaned/oiled GEM Clog-Pruf and placed a blade inside. With another twist, the blade is secure, and ready to do what blades do best.

I must admit that this morning I used my Merkur 180 DE, and achieved BBS bliss as per usual. But something was different on this day. There was a stranger lurking in the medicine chest, watching... waiting...

It's ready, and someday soon, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, it will have its day. And you too will know my friends... you will know that I am more than just a bit over-dramatic.

-Tom

Wait, what? New razor, fresh blade, and it didn't get used? It wants to come out and play, it hears the other kids having fun on the playground, but no, locked away in its room. Very sad and alone.

Send it my way, and I'll give it the attention it craves.

Wait, what? New razor, fresh blade, and it didn't get used? It wants to come out and play, it hears the other kids having fun on the playground, but no, locked away in its room. Very sad and alone.

I'm thinking this weekend. I had just enough stubble this morning to need a shave, but not enough to experiment. If you really want this puppy, I'll trade, let me know after I post the pics.

I'm thinking this weekend. I had just enough stubble this morning to need a shave, but not enough to experiment. If you really want this puppy, I'll trade, let me know after I post the pics.

I'm half playing around, but if you want to get rid of it, and I have something you're interested in, I'd be up for a trade. I have one, but I'm always looking to upgrade for ones in better condition that what I have currently.

I'd be hard pressed to wait, having it there, ready to go!

I'd be hard pressed to wait, having it there, ready to go!

I know it's silly, but it's that blade... I worked in a warehouse for several years when I was putting myself through school, and whenever I look at that blade I feel like I should be scraping decals or cutting up tomato boxes or something with it.

I need to just shave with it and get past it. Maybe tomorrow morning, depending on how much growth I have, I don't want my first try to be with barely any whiskers.

-Tom

The blades look the same from outward appearances, but they are not the same. Remember, the utility blades you used at work were sharp, but they were not honed with the precision needed for shaving. The GEM blades were made specifically for shaving and are much sharper.

Just think of them as fatter DE blades that only have one side. :biggrin1::laugh:

The blades look the same from outward appearances, but they are not the same. Remember, the utility blades you used at work were sharp, but they were not honed with the precision needed for shaving. The GEM blades were made specifically for shaving and are much sharper.

Just think of them as fatter DE blades that only have one side. :biggrin1::laugh:

Right on. Do you think I should wait until I have some real growth, or test with the daily whisker?

I would just do my regular, daily shave. When I try a new razor, I can usually tell by the first stroke how things are going to go. You can either feel those whiskers smoothly "pop" free, or you get a dragging sensation. Proceed carefully, and if you get any sense of unevenness, or scraping, stop and re-evaluate. Just take it slow, and you will be fine!

Ok Guys, here are some quick pics of the GEM:

This pic was an attempt to show the writing with the top open - didn't come out so well I'm afraid.
View attachment 142053

This is the back by the patents, all of these patents, according to Google, are from the 40's.
View attachment 142054

This is just a pic of the entire razor. I would rate this (the razor, not the picture. The picture is horrible!) as very good, but obviously used. All mechanical workings are tight and smooth.
View attachment 142055

So there you have it... I'll report on the shave tomorrow.

-Tom

Ya know, I should have moved this to the "score" area. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Ok, here it is guys:

THE SHAVE

I must say, I am impressed. I read a comment somewhere on here where someone said that the single-edge razors don't have the drama of the DE's, because they just work. And that's what this razor did, it worked great!

As long as I kept it more or less flat on my face and listened for the cacophony of whiskers meeting their makers, it really was a no-brainer BBS shave. I have the tiniest bit of irritation under my chin, but I'm positive that was user-error, and it wasn't anything a little alum and WH didn't take care of.

Really good stuff, I may throw it in the rotation. I still love my Merkur though :tongue_sm.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and for walking me through my single-blade phobia. You are gentlemen and scholars (and well-shaved ones at that).

-Tom

Top Bottom