What's new

Scope for Ruger 10/22

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Spend double the price of the rifle on the glass is my rule of thumb :) . I like Leupold and have heard good stuff about Vortex.

The bases for a Ruger 10/22 screw into aluminum so low and wide bases are good to prevent levering them off. Easy enough to drill and re-tap if you do have an accident.

B29FC4DB-6558-4433-8FC1-C8C248682D35.jpeg

I would favor a fixed power scope on a .22 Rimfire.
If scoping a standard rifle today, I might well look for a fixed power (perhaps fixed power scopes are not so available anymore).
J

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. 6-18x VXII AO. The older I get, the better glass that I need! I remember my open-sight days, barely LOL.
QFT!

My first 10/22 had a Williams peep sight.

Now I think I'd need a 50mm objective ... For daylight shooting.

AA

Leupold, Redfield, Bushnell--all are decent to excellent. Money no object-Leupold. Next-Redfield. Bang for your buck-Bushnell. 10/22's are a sweet rimfire. Every gun enthusiast should have one.

FWIW,

Leupold now owns and manufactures Redfield scopes.
I have used 2 Redfield scopes over last couple years. They are very nice and I believe quite comparable to Leupold scopes. At least until you start paying the big bucks for the better Leupold lenses. I compared the 2 side by side in my hunting blind last fall. Clarity was very similar. Colors were very slightly muted in the Redfield comparably. My expensive Leupold had a couple few more minutes of shooting time in the evening..... Of course I paid a lot more for the Leupold. I would not have noticed a difference unless they were side by side..... Leupold has many more options.

Thanks for all the input, Gents. My card that I use for online purchases was compromised. So, I'm going to wait until I get a new card and recover my funds, etc..

While I wait, do any of you have experience with the mount that comes with the 10/22? I'm planning on just using mine for plinking and hunting (if it ever comes to me needing to shoot small critters to survive). So, I don't need to go crazy when it comes to the mount, but I want it to be rugged and quality enough to withstand years of use.

Also, suggestions for rings would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!
Be very very careful. The rail with the 10-22 is OK, problem is the receiver is thin aluminum and is EASILY stripped. Use Locktite and just get the screws fairly snug. If you strip the receiver, Ruger will replace it, but being the serial number item it has to go through your FFL, fees, background checks, etc. We get one or two a month coming through. I warn customers, but...

I love the Burris Signature Rings with the off set insert kit. It allows you to make windage and elevation corrections without using up all of your scopes adjustment range. Also does what a MOA base does for longer range shooting, to a limited extent.
Great rings. I traded for a semi custom sporter in 7x57 last year, built on a Mexican Mauser action with a fantastic stock. It had a pictnanny rail which I did not like nor thought looked right so I took it off and put some standard two piece bases on. The problem was that whoever had drilled and tapped did not get the holes for the front and back receiver rings in line, so when I mounted a nice Leupold I did not have enough movement to get it bore sighted. My gunsmith milled the rings enough to tip them back into parallel, and then I picked up the Burris signature zee rings, and a couple of sets of offset inserts. Using those and a laser boresighter, I got it boresighted, after recentering the reticule on the scope by just playing with the rings. When I acutally got to fire it I was about 3/8" off at 25 yards so getting a good 100 yard zero was easy.

I put a Redfield Revolution 3x - 12x on my Swiss K31. It's a nice scope that was built in Oregon on the same line as the Leupolds. I used the clamp on mount, so no historic rifles were harmed in this production.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Be very very careful. The rail with the 10-22 is OK, problem is the receiver is thin aluminum and is EASILY stripped. Use Locktite and just get the screws fairly snug. If you strip the receiver, Ruger will replace it, but being the serial number item it has to go through your FFL, fees, background checks, etc. We get one or two a month coming through. I warn customers, but...

Good advice.

Top Bottom