What's new

Scientists Rate Best Ab Exercises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask 10 bodybuilders to identify the best ab exercise and you may get 10 different answers. Fortunately, there is a scientific way to settle this controversy. A technique called electromyography measures accurately the electrical activity of various muscles during exercise. It tells us which muscles work during an exercise and which don’t. Scientists from San Diego State University, CA, measured abdominal muscle activity during most popular ab exercises. They found that – by far – hanging knee raises worked the abs the most.

Build Torso Strength

Most bodybuilders and other weight trained athletes do exercises that isolate and work the rectus abdominis (front ab muscle) and the oblique’s (side ab muscles). However, few athletes do exercises that work the trunk as a unit. Good trunk strength is vital to almost all athletes. Dr. Kyle Pierce from the USA Weightlifting Development Center suggested a great torso-building exercise: hanging knee raises.

Trunk strength is critical because all movements either originate in or are coupled through the trunk.

Hanging Knee Raises.jpg

Last edited:
Believe this has been known for a while. however, it isn't "fun" or easy so a lot of folks don't work it. i use this to exhaust the bigger muscle-groups, and then (sometimes) move on to isolate the smaller groups to tie-in. it's great and your body responds quickly. It is important NOT to allow your body to swing or to push your posterior to the rear as you engage. My opinion only, but exercises like these are even MORE important as we grow older to stabilize trunk, spine, and gait issues.

Believe this has been known for a while. however, it isn't "fun" or easy so a lot of folks don't work it. i use this to exhaust the bigger muscle-groups, and then (sometimes) move on to isolate the smaller groups to tie-in. it's great and your body responds quickly. It is important NOT to allow your body to swing or to push your posterior to the rear as you engage. My opinion only, but exercises like these are even MORE important as we grow older to stabilize trunk, spine, and gait issues.

I agree with what you say, that's why I use Ab Straps to do this movement. It gets the muscles you want without unnecessary stress.

Attachments

• Ab Straps.jpg
    Ab Straps.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Before I used the Ab Straps my forearms would give out first. I really couldn't push my abs to the limit because my forearms got wiped out first.

I'm an exercise physiologist and will tell you this is not the best "ab" exercise. Most people do this exercise incorrectly. They do hip flexion (working hip flexors) instead of spinal flexion (ab muscles).

- Fayiz D.

I'm an exercise physiologist and will tell you this is not the best "ab" exercise. Most people do this exercise incorrectly. They do hip flexion (working hip flexors) instead of spinal flexion (ab muscles).
- Fayiz D.

I'd have to see more information on what you say. Most people that specialize in this field agree that hanging knee raises are the best. Can you name a movement that is as good or better? And why?

I'd have to see more information on what you say. Most people that specialize in this field agree that hanging knee raises are the best. Can you name a movement that is as good or better? And why?
Id first have to know what you are specifically training "abs" for? Are you training your core to be stronger for daily movement and activities? Because if so, you would need to do not only spinal/torso flexion exercises (think sit up/crunches) to work your "abs" but you would need torso rotation to work your internal and external obliques, torso extension (think back raises or deadlifts) to train your erector spinae muscles. This is to have a stronger and fitter core.

If all you are looking for is 6 pack abs, you need to become lean enough to have visible 6 pack abs and doing a torso flexion exercise is fine.

My favorite core exercises are:
-Planks for 10 second holds (squeeze your abs as hard as you can)

-Side planks (quadratus lumborum)

-Ab rollout (abdominals)

-Banded torso rotation (obliques)

-Back raises (erector spinae)

-GHR (Erectors)

- Fayiz D.

EMG also has it's flaws. It assumes the most perfect conditions with perfect technique. A student in a lab may be doing hanging leg raises correctly (with torso/spinal flexion) but MOST people i see do them literally only do hip flexion with very minimal to zero spinal flexion.

For leg raises to be more effective, you could try doing them with your legs straight down to the ground and using your abs to bend your legs up to the sky. Even then, it isjt very efficient and many people can't do it.

- Fayiz D.

EMG also has it's flaws. It assumes the most perfect conditions with perfect technique. A student in a lab may be doing hanging leg raises correctly (with torso/spinal flexion) but MOST people i see do them literally only do hip flexion with very minimal to zero spinal flexion.

- Fayiz D.

The whole purpose of this subject is what is the single best exercise to condition and tone your whole torso. You have not address that, you are aiming more toward a complete workout. The knee raises fill that bill better than anything else you have come up with. When picking the best movement you don't think first of how someone's form will be. You're suppose to do them all in good form.

The whole purpose of this subject is what is the single best exercise to condition and tone your whole torso. You have not address that, you are aiming more toward a complete workout. The knee raises fill that bill better than anything else you have come up with. When picking the best movement you don't think first of how someone's form will be. You're suppose to do them all in good form.
If I had to pick one exercise for core it would be deadlift or squats or planks.

As a powerlifter that needs a strong core, this exercise does nothing for me. Also, hanging knee raises does not train your erector muscles, obliques, or QL muscle. All of which are important core exercises.

This is the equivalent of saying biceps curls are the best exercises for upper body.

- Fayiz D.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
my 0.02
The full spectrum of people who exercise is full - 20 year olds and the rest of us over 20.
I'm certain this specific exercise is fantastic but not for everyone. Kinda like straight razors which I'm fairly sure everyone would agree deliver the best shave but you won't find me with an SR.

If I had to pick one exercise for core it would be deadlift or squats or planks.
As a powerlifter that needs a strong core, this exercise does nothing for me. Also, hanging knee raises does not train your erector muscles, obliques, or QL muscle. All of which are important core exercises.

- Fayiz D.

Again you are off base. While the deadlift does get a lot of muscles the squat does not get as much for the torso. Let me remind you again, we are talking the whole torso. The torso development is very important to strength training.

my 0.02
The full spectrum of people who exercise is full - 20 year olds and the rest of us over 20.
I'm certain this specific exercise is fantastic but not for everyone. Kinda like straight razors which I'm fairly sure everyone would agree deliver the best shave but you won't find me with an SR.

It is a fact if, you read my first post again. A technique called electromyography measures accurately the electrical activity of various muscles during exercise. Knee Raises are proven to be the best movement. Period!

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
It is a fact if, you read my first post again. A technique called electromyography measures accurately the electrical activity of various muscles during exercise. Knee Raises are proven to be the best movement. Period!
ok I'll bite
an 80 year old may not be the one to try this exercise to prove your point.
On the measuring technique "electromyography" it is more than likely the best, however in PT and in life these things are not a straight line.

ok I'll bite
an 80 year old may not be the one to try this exercise to prove your point.
On the measuring technique "electromyography" it is more than likely the best, however in PT and in life these things are not a straight line.

I agree you have to choose the exercise that is best for you if you have limitations such as age but that doesn't change what exercise is the best in general for your torso.

Status
Not open for further replies.