What's new

Science and Mechanics article on "Exploring the Science of Shaving" Feb, 1957.

I stumbled across this article today from the Feb 1957 issue of Science and Mechanics. It has probably been posted here in the past, but I thought I'd provide a link for anyone who hasn't seen it before.
Kinda a cool bit of history.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
But, But, But...
There wasn't anything in there about using ice cubes or boiling water from a tea kettle.

just saw the date and realized what it meant. I was 11 months old and my dad was a crew chief flying on P3s out of Pax River. Wonder what he was shaving with then.

-jim

This thread on how this article changed my shaves and how much I enjoy passing the word along details my take on this prep.

I really do think it's worth your while to give it a try. Let that lather sit on your beard for two minutes, and see what happens. It might not work for you, but if it does, it can be a real game changer.

I'm glad to see this one pop up from time to time, and I've shamelessly bumped my own thread on the article because I'm a big believer in that routine.

Click the thumbnail for the guts of the article.

No ice cubes. No scalding water. No steamed towels, fancy products or secret ingredients. Just the soap or cream you already prefer, with the addition of a couple minutes of time for it to work on your stubble, after it's been washed with soap and water to strip the oils away.

It's worth a shot, and many folks have reported improved shaves because of it.

I like that procedure and it's what I do. Although instead of buffing my shoes, I sometimes chase my daughter around doing the lather monster.

-jim

Glad you're all enjoying it! It's great how over 50 years later 99% of the advice is still sound. I don't know about that contraption that promises to "spin them off!" - it sounds more like a small meat grinder!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like that procedure and it's what I do. Although instead of buffing my shoes, I sometimes chase my daughter around doing the lather monster.

-jim

What is sad, is one day she will not find that "cool" anymore. They grow too fast.

Top Bottom