What's new

School me: Summer Straps for Dress Watch?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The Bond picture above is certainly more gap than I would see with a 20mm, right? 🤣
Nice bit of sprezzatura, no? I believe the reason was that the Sub has a 20mm lug, but nylon straps back then (long before anybody decided that "NATO" had anything to do with them) only came in 16mm width. Bond had the watch on a nylon strap because he had it strapped over his diving wet suit in the previous scene.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is specific to my "dress watch", which currently has a fairly uncomfortable stock strap. I feel like giving it a more casual strap would help me feel comfortable wearing it more frequently

If this is a "dress watch" then get a more comfortable dress strap for it. I would be cautious of trying to take an actual dress watch "downstream" to be more casual, as you risk ending up with a mongrel mash-up that is neither fish nor fowl and ends up just looking confused. Like putting off-road nobby tires and a lift kit on a BMW.

And, hey, if Bond can wear it with a suit, than I can too. Right?

Beware of Bond fixation!

Bond is meant to be a flawed character in a fiction series, not "Spy Jesus" ... and part of the message can be that he's an effective secret service killer even though he isn't batting .1000 on other areas such as style and proper martini choices.

"But ... he's a style icon! So I'll do what he does!!" say some. Well ... just becaue he can pull it off in the scripted movie world, doesn't mean you should try it in real life.

1618592700389.png

Well, the 21mm thing has really thrown a wrench into my frugal plans for this watch. Lots of great input, however. Hopefully it is helpful to others who are likely not as inept as I am.

If you use a Perlon or Zulu/NATO sometimes you can go up or down 1mm. Especially with a Perlon, as the weave will compress so getting a 1mm larger strap will usually fit, though you may (or may not) need to remove the spring bars first. And sometimes the lesser quality straps will work even better as the tolerances may not be quiet as good. For instance a 20mm strap might actually measure 20.6mm or a 22mm may be 21.5mm, such that they provide a good fit.

You could also go get a 22mm rubber, silicone, or leather strap and barely shave each side with a razor blade.

If you use a Perlon or Zulu/NATO sometimes you can go up or down 1mm. Especially with a Perlon, as the weave will compress so getting a 1mm larger strap will usually fit, though you may (or may not) need to remove the spring bars first. And sometimes the lesser quality straps will work even better as the tolerances may not be quiet as good. For instance a 20mm strap might actually measure 20.6mm or a 22mm may be 21.5mm, such that they provide a good fit.
Hmmm....now I'm questioning whether I should go UP rather than DOWN as I had been planning (perlon).
Pro for going up: 22mm Black is in stock. In 20mm, it'd be a dark gray.
Con for going up: IF for some reason the size doesn't work, the black would be somewhat redundant.
I spend too much time thinking about a $30 purchase...

Hmmm....now I'm questioning whether I should go UP rather than DOWN as I had been planning (perlon).
Con for going up: IF for some reason the size doesn't work, the black would be somewhat redundant.
30 bucks seem a bit steep for a Perlon...
AZ shows basic colors at 14.95
Seatbelt straps for around 16.00

Maybe get both. :laugh:

In general going down a 1mm is surely a safe bet, in that it is guaranteed to fit and probably not very noticeable. That said I do believe that going up 1mm will also fit, though the fabric may deform slightly and arch up and away from the spring bars, but I believe you can push back on it a little and it will look fine. Maybe even look better than with a small gap, but it will depend on what you see with your own eyes. You may not like it.

I tried to get a picture to show you (and to verify that I was not misremembering) a couple of straps that I have used on a watch with 19mm lugs. I was almost sure that the purplish-pink strap was 18mm but it measures as 19mm. It believe it is from CheapestNato. The blue/black pattern (from some ebay seller) is 20mm but appears slightly larger when I measure it here. I have attached the photo, even though it will probably be of no help, as it is too hard to see and judge anything, though you might notice that the blue/black looks a little more deformed/humped from being compressed against the lug opening.
Perlon-20mm-19mm_20210422.jpg

If this is gonna be a casual wear watch then the elastic parachute webbing straps are SUPER comfortable and very secure for an active wear watch. Less bulky than a nato, easy to adjust, secure on the wrist, and the watch just floats in place.

I got mine from B&R which I think is a cheaper copy of the famous Erika's straps. Wouldn't use one in a dressy environment but they are a good nato/rubber strap alternative.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've found 21mm NATO straps on Amazon. Do a search. You'll come up with something. It may not be top-of-the-line, but it will certainly see you through the summer.

Also, I think the suggestion that you look at Milanese mesh bracelets is an excellent one.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For my more casual watch, a fairly basic stainless steel, I wear nylon straps, usually striped. For my thin, gold watch, soft calf is about as casual and comfortable as I go. If it is really hot and sticky, I have a third option, dropping my pocket watch into the front pocket that doesn't have the pocket knife and keys.

Yesterday I purchased (online) an aftermarket Milanese/mesh bracelet to go with a new watch. I'll post a review once both arrive. The watch should be here tomorrow, the bracelet by Friday (maybe).

Top Bottom