What's new

School me on YAQI synthetic brushes backbone

I have never used a synth brush, but the idea is growing on me.

What I'm particularly interested in is which model has the strongest backbone.

My current favorite brush is Proraso Pro, made by Omega. It's a big brush at 28mm knot size, but it has a superb backbone.

So, how these synthetic brushes would compare to Omega Boar in terms of backbone quality?

Any particular Yaqi model I should avoid and conversely, any specific model/size I should go for in terms of backbone?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I have currently a Yaqi with a tuxedo knot and have owned one with a Timberwolf knot. I really do enjoy them. I do find that my BC Silvertip Plissoft has a stronger backbone. In my experience the BC comes closer to mimicking certain qualities of a natural hair brush. That being said I love both.

I have currently a Yaqi with a tuxedo knot and have owned one with a Timberwolf knot. I really do enjoy them. I do find that my BC Silvertip Plissoft has a stronger backbone. In my experience the BC comes closer to mimicking certain qualities of a natural hair brush. That being said I love both.
If you can find the brush that you want with a Plissoft Noir knot, it has more backbone than the Plissoft Silvertip knot.

I love Plissoft and Yaqi synthetics! Of the the synths I’ve tried so far, the closest I’ve had to a boar is the RR 400 (orange handle). It’s got plenty of backbone and scritch but is still comfortable enough for every day use. One caveat is that it does fling some with wetter lathers.

1AEF902F-A8BE-4007-8F59-4A57A2ABF481.jpeg

For the strongest backbone, I think you'd like the tuxedo knot the best. Perhaps a 26mm that's lofted a bit lower than usual. The others like Cashmere and Faux Horse knots have little backbone so try out a Tuxedo!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The tuxedo knot has a good backbone, I have the black Ferrari 24mm and lucky dice 26mm the 26mm is closer to my Omega Prorasso brush, but a good deal softer.
Another brush I would recommend is the Evil Zebra 26mm, I think it has a little more backbone than the tuxedo and is my current soap killer of choice

The Yaqi Mink is one of the new synthetics I just bought. I would say it is the closest to my boar brushes in terms of backbone and equal to my boar brushes in building lather quickly.

The tuxedo knot has a good backbone, I have the black Ferrari 24mm and lucky dice 26mm the 26mm is closer to my Omega Prorasso brush, but a good deal softer.
Another brush I would recommend is the Evil Zebra 26mm, I think it has a little more backbone than the tuxedo and is my current soap killer of choice
I have a Segrada Familia tuxedo which I like a great deal but which I find not as dense as other synthetic knots I've used. How would you rate the density of the knot in the Ferrari and Lucky Dice tuxedo brushes?

I have a Segrada Familia tuxedo which I like a great deal but which I find not as dense as other synthetic knots I've used. How would you rate the density of the knot in the Ferrari and Lucky Dice tuxedo brushes?
Very interested to hear about it myself.

You might possibly be disappointed like me thinking it has high backbone, and scrub with a little scritch like a boar brush. It does have high backbone, but it has way too soft of tips. I would try their all black knots which are boss knots, or more similar to the RR 400 posted above.

You might possibly be disappointed like me thinking it has high backbone, and scrub with a little scritch like a boar brush. It does have high backbone, but it has way too soft of tips. I would try their all black knots which are boss knots, or more similar to the RR 400 posted above.
Well that's the thing... I actually like the "scrubbing" effect my Omega boar has. Perhaps these synth are not for me after all. If I want the super soft, I use my silvertip...

Well that's the thing... I actually like the "scrubbing" effect my Omega boar has. Perhaps these synth are not for me after all. If I want the super soft, I use my silvertip...
Boarman here like yourself. I have acquired 4 Yaqi Synths and 2 of their Two Bands in the last couple of months. All are soft and produce nice lather but you won’t get boar-like scrub with any of them. A Zenith Manchurian is my equivalent of a nice broken in boar but it comes with a bit higher price-tag than the Yaqis.

Boarman here like yourself. I have acquired 4 Yaqi Synths and 2 of their Two Bands in the last couple of months. All are soft and produce nice lather but you won’t get boar-like scrub with any of them. A Zenith Manchurian is my equivalent of a nice broken in boar but it comes with a bit higher price-tag than the Yaqis.
Tnx! I'm only curious about synth, as I never used it.

The Tuxedo knot has some backbone but likes to fling the lather around. What works for me is the Rainbow Pony and the 24mm Moka Express even though they are nominally softer and with less backbone. If you want to try out a Simpson Synth, the Trafalgar T2 and T3 are very nice and budget friendly offerings.

The Tuxedo knot has some backbone but likes to fling the lather around. What works for me is the Rainbow Pony and the 24mm Moka Express even though they are nominally softer and with less backbone. If you want to try out a Simpson Synth, the Trafalgar T2 and T3 are very nice and budget friendly offerings.
Well yes, I'd like to... that's why I've started this thread 😎

How's the backbone of those T2/T3 Trafalgars?

Asking, as I really have a strong preference for a strong backbone... while I don't care much about the softness of the fibers. Again, if I want ultra soft, I use my silvertip... every once in a while.

Just going to say...the synths from Yaqi are better than most of my brushes alone...however the badgers in 2 band best are the Best brushes I’ve used they are amazing... the wall of badger aka Yaqi moka express 26mm 2band 🦡 in best is my no1 brush....it’s huge it has nice soft gel tips it doesn’t really need soaking for long just wet and away you go really..I’ve had 0 issues with cream ...soap...croaps...anything really...something maybe to consider as another option.....but the synths are great as well! If I didn’t have those 2 bands I’d probably be still using the Yaqi synths...I’ll be
Honest the synths backbones are there but not the best...however that doesn’t stop them from producing great lather...

I think the boss knots(all black)from yaqi would have some scrub as noted above with the black razorock 400, don't take my word from it though it's just what I have read.

Top Bottom