What's new

Schone v. Fatip

Fatip won't fix blade alignment woes as they would have done over the years by now if they cared.
Its a $20 razor!! Do you expect it to have the same type of alignment as a Timeless, Wolfman, or Charcoal Goods? Again, its a $20 razor!! As a wise man said.... Never mind just look at the comment below....
Just load blade with razor upside down and alignment woes dissipate. Quirky. Italian.

Its a $20 razor!! Do you expect it to have the same type of alignment as a Timeless, Wolfman, or Charcoal Goods? Again, its a $20 razor!! As a wise man said.... Never mind just look at the comment below....

For the money, there are cheaper razors available that don't have issue's as bad as the fatip, so its fair to say yes, I expect blade alignment to be a minimal issue but, in my 2 cases it was not. Nothing wrong with finish as such, just blade alignment.

I have also tried the upside down method but sadly it still needed a fair bit of fiddling. Many people dislike the level of blade alignment woes. Its fair the say Fatip's quality is all over the place but, once I got mine set, it delivered a high performance shave. So I have always mentioned the good and the bad.

For the money, there are cheaper razors available that don't have issue's as bad as the fatip, so its fair to say yes, I expect blade alignment to be a minimal issue but, in my 2 cases it was not. Nothing wrong with finish as such, just blade alignment.

I have also tried the upside down method but sadly it still needed a fair bit of fiddling. Many people dislike the level of blade alignment woes. Its fair the say Fatip's quality is all over the place but, once I got mine set, it delivered a high performance shave. So I have always mentioned the good and the bad.
I don't have my Piccolo or Schone anymore and part of the reason I sold them is the same issue you have, I had, and it came to a point where I didn't want to fiddle anymore. I will say however as has been said already, the upside down method works best. I used to set the top cap on a towel, put the blade in place and then the base plate, and then start screwing the handle on and when it gets snug I would then pick it up and make sure it was snug enough to shave with and 99% of the time the blade set in the head even from side to side. It might take a little longer to load a blade but its what worked the majority of the time without having to fiddle with it.

I don't have my Piccolo or Schone anymore and part of the reason I sold them is the same issue you have, I had, and it came to a point where I didn't want to fiddle anymore. I will say however as has been said already, the upside down method works best. I used to set the top cap on a towel, put the blade in place and then the base plate, and then start screwing the handle on and when it gets snug I would then pick it up and make sure it was snug enough to shave with and 99% of the time the blade set in the head even from side to side. It might take a little longer to load a blade but its what worked the majority of the time without having to fiddle with it.

It works. I think a lot of people are in the habit of trying to hold the head of the razor by each side while screwing it together. On most vintage 2 post razors you can have alignment issues if you try hold the head while screwing the 3 pieces together. That's why a lot of those manufacturers developed different methods in their head designs as they moved forward. It's a great razor that shaves as smooth as a Gillette Old Type.

I agree, the upside down method, helped immensely and IIRC i did thank the person who suggested it the other week on a different thread.

I find with Fatip razors it's a hit or miss thing. I owned 4 Fatips including 2 Piccolos, one nickel Grande, one gold Grande.
One of the Piccolo's was so bad out of line I ended up giving it away. Awhile later I bought another that had near perfect alignment. Then I got a nickel Grande that was just slightly out of line. Then I got a gold Grande that is perfect.
Very smooth razors.

I find with Fatip razors it's a hit or miss thing. I owned 4 Fatips including 2 Piccolos, one nickel Grande, one gold Grande.
One of the Piccolo's was so bad out of line I ended up giving it away. Awhile later I bought another that had near perfect alignment. Then I got a nickel Grande that was just slightly out of line. Then I got a gold Grande that is perfect.
Very smooth razors.

Do you use any of these now ?

I have the Schoene in Gold and Nickel and 2 Fatips. All are great shavers. I consider them efficient, not agresive and they give great shaves always. Pair it w a good blade: Nacet, Gillette or Astra....even Personna. For the money you cannot beat these.....and they are nice, too

Again, load upside down. Should solve alignment woes.

Alrossa sells the nickel over brass for $20. You have to search the website.

I like Gillette yellow, Polsilver blades.

It does take a few shaves to get used to OC. And if you are careless, the razor will remind you there is a sharp blade in it.

Mac

Following. I've had two Grandes. The first was a Gunmetal that had serious alignment issues and went back. The one I have had for the past few years is a Gold that still has minimal alignment issues. The upside down loading doesn't help me at all really. I pretty much just shave with the more aggressive side of it, turning it into an SE. I've recently gotten to the point that I'm tired of fiddling with it, but when it's right, it definitely gives one of the best shaves in terms of both efficiency and comfort. I'm leaning toward dropping it off at the PIF table at The Big Shave S'West and trying the Schone with the newer spiral handle to see if I have better luck with alignment.

Try the Schoene, I have both gold and nickel and they are great. Seems to align OK. I gave one to my brother and he loves it-- his fav. For $20 can't go wrong

I’m not sure why posters are saying the Schoene, Piccolo or Grande are worth it for the money. That argument goes out the window for anyone who already owns a double edge safety razor!

I’m not sure why posters are saying the Schoene, Piccolo or Grande are worth it for the money. That argument goes out the window for anyone who already owns a double edge safety razor!

Reasons - this is unclear? They're good brass razors in a sea of zamak at that price point.

Top Bottom