What's new

Schlick injector blades

Alright, Thanks Flintstone. Personna DEs don't really float my boat, not bad but many others are way better for me. I am however limited to Personna made SEs for my Gem razors. Might have to try both kinds, but an Amazon order is forthcoming.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like my Schick injector blades and the Schick blades in yellow packs of 7 are thought to be sharp and smooth by a lot of fellow Schick injector users who like the modern version( I like them a lot) but lately I have been using my Personna injector blades or Ted Pella blades(same product). I find them very sharp and smooth out over time and have great longevity and work well in milder injectors.
The twin II blades are nice to use in L and up Schick injectors, they have very great longevity, my first twin blade went 32 shaves and not consecutive shaves either- so I was very impressed with them. The Schick proline B20 are not made for injector razors but guys try and get them in some how, they are designed for shavettes and have large radis corner edges on the blade that allows the blade seat down further in the blade stops making them a little more aggressive & possibly not seat properly IMO.
Also if I fellow had to he could also trim a Artisan club(AC) blade and it will fit in the injector razors and perform very well.
There is also vintage blades out there and that is a hit & miss and don't recommend them at first until you use a new blade so a person learning knows when a blade is not much good. I had some old vintage blades and it almost turned me off injector razors.Buy the a pack of 7 Chick blades from(Ama _on)to start out is my recommendation!
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (4).jpg
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I've had good luck finding Schick injector blades at local independent pharmacies and absolutely no luck at any of the national chain drug stores. A "Good Neighbor" affiliated pharmacy would most likely have them.

Well fellas, I had a rare stroke of luck, sort of. A guy I work with is heavily into knives and straight razor collecting and I told him about my collection of vintage razors. I also told him about my lack of finding any blades locally for the Schick. He then told me that his grandfather used to use Schicks and he would see if any blades were still around in his stuff. Sure enough he brought in a cartridge with at least 10 blades. The cartridge is marked Eversharp Schick with the crown stamp. I sure hope this blade improves with further use. I really only planned on using this one and will keep the rest in the case with the razor. My face looked like I got in a fight with a mountain lion. :eek2: Are the new SChicks better than originals?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well fellas, I had a rare stroke of luck, sort of. A guy I work with is heavily into knives and straight razor collecting and I told him about my collection of vintage razors. I also told him about my lack of finding any blades locally for the Schick. He then told me that his grandfather used to use Schicks and he would see if any blades were still around in his stuff. Sure enough he brought in a cartridge with at least 10 blades. The cartridge is marked Eversharp Schick with the crown stamp. I sure hope this blade improves with further use. I really only planned on using this one and will keep the rest in the case with the razor. My face looked like I got in a fight with a mountain lion. :eek2: Are the new SChicks better than originals?
Weird. You might get some help from someone more knowledgeable than myself. I can't remember if the first blade is kinda sacrificed when you load it? Been too long. I do know that the angle is more like a cartridge razor than a DE razor, at least for me.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I suspect it is 1 of 3 things:
  1. That particular cartridge, while it may look like newish-old-stock, managed to get some exposure to moisture and the edge has degraded. I've never tried a vintage Schick blade (or any other non-modern disposable blade, if I'm being honest), so I may be talking out of my ear on this; but from what I've read, time and the elements can make a blade feel less-than-great.
  2. That particular brand of blade just wasn't fabulous to start with. So as I've said, I'm not a vintage guy; but I've heard some vintage blade shavers talk about the extreme differences in the "old timey" brands they've used and tried. So maybe that brand was the Personna of it's day (just kidding, I know there's nothing inherently wrong with Personna blades :001_tongu -- they're just not my cup of tea)

3. The blade was damaged as it was being injected into the razor. Now this can certainly happen, and it would seem that some razors (perhaps due to the previous use they've had) can be more prone to this than others. When you insert the key and inject the razor, watch as the blade slides in. You want to be sure that the blade isn't touching the first blade stop as it slides through. Some of the blades get VERY close, but they are not supposed to touch, if they do, then you end up with an edge that's been drawn against a piece of brass, and that makes for a lousy blade and shave. When I insert a blade into a new-to-me injector razor, I try to put some pressure on the key (pushing it back towards the top of the razor head) so that as I slide the lever to the left to release the blade, I am keeping the blade away from the little nub (blade stop) at the front (by the razor's safety bar). You may want to play around with reloading another vintage blade, and see how it enters the razor and where the edge is relative to the blade stop. If the blade is/was rubbing the blade stop on the way in, then perhaps the blade was fine and the edge was ruined during insertion; if not, then perhaps the blades are shot.
I do think the modern blades consistently shave well, and vintage blades are a bit hit-or-miss depending on their steel and how they were stored over the years. There is a 4th possibility and that could be technique (angle and pressure). Many folks find Schicks to be similar to cartridge razors, and they end up using way too much pressure. I did that with my first shave, and man-alive I got a close shave, but it was also super uncomfortable in terms of bleeders and irritation!!! I suspect it's the blade and not your technique, but I wanted to throw that out there. Despite their lightweight, you want to use a VERY shallow angle: ride the cap, and I mean literally, ride...the....cap; and use little to no pressure.

I'm looking forward to your modern Schicks arriving (as I'm sure you are too)....I think that will be a MUCH better shave.

If you injected a blade into an empty razor, you may have indeed damaged the blade as it rubbed against the stops. Injector razors shipped new with a blank loaded to prevent the sacrifice of the first blade.

If the magazine your friend gave you was from the carbon blade era, the blade edges may have deteriorated. The current production Schick blades are very smooth and efficient, and last me 2.5-3 weeks before I get bored with the razor and move on to the next one. There's still some life left in them after that; I use my Type I with the 3-week blade as a clean-up razor when whatever I'm using at the time starts to wane.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It seems like your questions are getting good attention from @Flintstone65 I'll just chime in with a bit of a cautionary tale on Ted Pella. I have no issues using the blades they offer but shipping was an absolute nightmare. Just be prepared to pay exorbitant shipping prices with them unless policies have changed.

It seems you've gone another route, but if you decide to go back and look at Ted Pella be warned.

The Schick proline B20 are not made for injector razors but guys try and get them in some how, they are designed for shavettes and have large radis corner edges on the blade that allows the blade seat down further in the blade stops making them a little more aggressive & possibly not seat properly IMO.
You have to load the Schick Proline b20's into an empty injector cartridge in order to use them. IMO well worth it since they shave better (smoother and sharper) than the Pella's and Chicks. They seat securely in my g and m type so I am not sure what you mean about them being more aggressive because of the rounded edges. Schick b20s and b30s are my favorite SE blades but as anything blade related YMMV.

Oh Lord, I hope it's not too aggressive, but I'll try it never the less. Local CVS didn't have any Injector blades, but they did have some GEM style SEs so it wasn't a total loss. I'll check some other CVS and other pharmacies when I'm over on the other side of the city within the next few days.
Amazon sells them also.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You have to load the Schick Proline b20's into an empty injector cartridge in order to use them. IMO well worth it since they shave better (smoother and sharper) than the Pella's and Chicks. They seat securely in my g and m type so I am not sure what you mean about them being more aggressive because of the rounded edges. Schick b20s and b30s are my favorite SE blades but as anything blade related YMMV.
Well I will show you what I meant is a better way of describing the situation that occurs when they are loaded manually in my E2 Schick.
In the Photo's below you can even see the Pro line blade seats further down giving more aggression.

(L) Regular Schick injector blade loaded in my E2.....(R)B20 Schick Pro line injector blade.Notice large radis corners!
Schick regular vs Schick Proline 4 (2).jpg
Schick proline b-20 vs regular1 (2).jpg

Schick swivel1.jpg
Manually loaded E2 type Schick injector.

Last edited:
It seems like your questions are getting good attention from @Flintstone65 I'll just chime in with a bit of a cautionary tale on Ted Pella. I have no issues using the blades they offer but shipping was an absolute nightmare. Just be prepared to pay exorbitant shipping prices with them unless policies have changed.

It seems you've gone another route, but if you decide to go back and look at Ted Pella be warned.

I'm most likely to get them from Amazon along with some appropriate bulk SEs for my others.

Well I will show you what I meant is a better way of describing the situation that occurs when they are loaded manually in my E2 Schick.
In the Photo's below you can even see the Pro line blade seats further down giving more aggression.

(L) Regular Schick injector blade loaded in my E2.....(R)B20 Schick Pro line injector blade.Notice large radis corners!
View attachment 1146975 View attachment 1146976
View attachment 1146980 Manually loaded E2 type Schick injector.
I see what you mean now! I guess I must like the little extra blade exposure 😁. A Proline loaded in the g type and m type gives me excellent shaves every time.

Sorry, I am late responding - that six hour time difference you know! I will just add that Eversharp owned Schick from 1946 to about 1969 so that gives you the range of how old those blades might be. I personally would not use them!

Top Bottom