What's new

Schicktober

In answer to mftoms- Thanks! I did not soak it - I got good advice about soaking and using Simply Green but ended up using Scrubbing Bubbles (Bathroom edition) because I had that in my house. I let the stuff sit on it a minute or so, then used a toothbrush on it. Quite a bit of scrubbing and some digging out of scum with toothpicks but it came up surprisingly good for only spending about 30 minutes on it. No cracks in the handle.
RE Schicktober--Day three on the same blade-- seemed like a bit rougher shave- but it could be me. I ordered some of the shaving cream/soaps and aftershave samples that I have been reading about here and that will make this more interesting.

Toothpicks & Q-Tips are must haves when cleaning & polishing DE's & Injectors. I think my 2nd or 3rd shave was a little rough, then it smoothed out & #13 will be attempted on Monday. It shouldn't be a problem #12 was smooth, no tugging or skipping + I've been using Tabac Soap, which is my most Trusted Shave Medium.

This Morning was a quick one-Pass with the Krona/Zorrik Blade, went Latherless wit some Zirh, SAS shavefinished with Speick AS splash. I'll do another one-pass tonight, tomorrow is my Work-Friday and I want ~36 hours of Whisker Growth for the Tabac & Injector Shave, going for #13 with the same Blade.

Hey RonV, was your last shave smoother than the previous one with that Blade?

Day 5- Lathered up with some greasy, green, watermelon scented soap that is not specifically shaving soap but works great. Then, still in retro, slapped on Clubman (from a 6 oz bottle I got for $2 at a non-chain old Pharmacy) that stings so nice and wife tolerates. Pretty Spartan but effective. I am sorry to report, however, that the bit in the middle was a little too Spartan. Day 5 on the Chinese Schick blade is not doing it for me. It was not quite at the fish scaling stage (where I feel that I am just scraping off whiskers) but it was not that satisfying. I think I am going to leave Schicktober tomorrow and come back next Saturday--- refreshed and armed with exotic soaps/creams and aftershaves. So I've had enough of this Schick. Sorry Dad.:wink2:

OK, I loaded a Personna blade in the Krona, lather up with some C.O Bigelow cream and gave it a spin. I was surprised how smooth and mild it was . I had a two pass CCS. I think this one might be a keeper.

OK, I loaded a Personna blade in the Krona, lather up with some C.O Bigelow cream and gave it a spin. I was surprised how smooth and mild it was . I had a two pass CCS. I think this one might be a keeper.

Even though it is a mild razor, I get consistently close, comfortable shaves using Astra SP, Rapira & Personna Meds. I had comfortable shaves with a Zorrik Blade (2) and a Rainbow (2), that I had received as throw-ins on previous orders, neither blade was good enough for a third attempt. I'll be using a Derby Extra next week, I've always had good shaves with these as well, I toss most Blades after 3 shaves anyway, but could get ~5 from the Meds & SPs, 4 from the Rapira (Pink & Blue wrapper).

I did a two pass with the Zorrick last night and tossed the blade afterward, my next shave will be Monday 11AM, I'm going for Shave #13 on the Chinese Blade with a 42 hour whisker growth.

Today was EverSharp "G", going for #13 on the same Chinese Blade, I did a Bowl lather with Tabac soap & my Vie-Long Horse/Badger mix. I completed a two-pass (WTG, XTG) with a touch-up on both sides of my Jawline, I noticed the first pass felt a little rough and more stubble was visible. Second pass cleared the remaining whiskers, two minor weepers on left & right side of my chin, after the touch-up, a BBS was achieved.

I finished with an Alum Block & Cold Water rub, good tingle with a little Burn on the base of my neck, right side. I cleaned my Brush, which had another two passes left easily, and bowl, rinsed off the Alum & applied vintage Avon Oland AS splash & Schulton Old Spice Cologne. Now 2 hours later my face feels good, smooth & soft, I think this blade is nearing the end of service, maybe one or two more shaves.

Ok, had a respite from the Schick and I am ready to pick back up armed with Tabac and some aftershave samples. I must admit that it was sheer heaven shaving with the old DE. I get back on the horse tomorrow for day #6 on the Schick blade. I will report in sometime tomorrow.

Today was the Krona with a US Personna blade on shave #3. I used my Omega 10049 and L'Occitaine CADE. I got a smooth comfortable shave. Followed the shave with a splash of witch hazel and some English Leather.

No shave today, very little visible stubble so I'll hold off until ~9:30PM and shave tonight. I loaded a Personna Med in the Krona, a Face Lather with Tabac Puck and my Shavemac Silver-Tip. Been using the Tabac since I'm participating in Tabactober, it's the first and only soap I had used since I started shaving as a 17 year-old. I feel in love with the scent when I was a boy of 5, My Grandfather used it with a Straight and finish his shave with Tabac AS & toilet paper :ohmy:

Took it back to the shower with the "J" model with a Chinese blade for the second time. I've been using Schick Hydro gel in the shower and I have to say it works for me. A one pass shave on a days growth for a DFS.

I've been paying attention to everybody's input and putting the razor flat against your face, rather than an angle, saves a lot of blood ; )

I generally rotate between my Merkurs. But, when I get a stubborn spot to touch up on the finish pass I pull out my Schick adjustable. Especially on my Adam's Apple.
I'ts loaded with a Personna 74 blade that should last another year.

...I'ts loaded with a Personna 74 blade that should last another year.

How many shaves can you put on one?

I pretty much had a Schicktember.

I did that one to, but since I went from one krona & one injector, to the Krona & four Injectors, I figured I'd continue and check out how the other Injectors shaved. Besides, I'm testing the longevity of the Chinese Blades, #13 was accomplished Monday, a bit rough but I think 15 is possible. I'll probably try #14 Thursday Morning, today is the Krona with a Personna Med.

Day 6 on same blade- I am more than back. This was a great shave! Now the wild card is that although I am far from a newbe regarding wetshaving, DE shaving and injector blade shaving, this morning was my first time ever (aside from creams and canned stuff) that I did not "face lather." I used Tabac and followed a B & B how-to-make-lather referenced video. Now, given the choice, I will never "face lather" again. So it may be an unfair characterization of "best shave ever" given these new introductions into my shaving ritual, but the difference was dramatic and, dare I say, I think I actually preferred the feel and sound of this old injector to my DEs. Good to be back. I am hoping that I have no trouble getting to day 15 now- which, in reading other posts, seems to be the outside limit to these injector blades. Thank you B and B shaving enthusiasts!:001_tongu

... this morning was my first time ever (aside from creams and canned stuff) that I did not "face lather." I used Tabac and followed a B & B how-to-make-lather referenced video. Now, given the choice, I will never "face lather" again...

... I am hoping that I have no trouble getting to day 15 now- which, in reading other posts, seems to be the outside limit to these injector blades. Thank you B and B shaving enthusiasts!:001_tongu

have you tried Face Lathering Tabac? You could change your mind again, IDare you to give it a go :001_tongu, BTW way this shave smoother than the last, that was my experience between #2 & #3.
Tomorrow is #14 for the Chinese Blade, I'll post my results in the evening, a Face Lather with the Tabac Puck & my Vie-Long Horse/Rudy Vey Handle, a great combination.

Day 7 on same blade-- every bit as good as Day 6. mftoms-- I will try face lathering with the Tabac-- to see if the Tabac itself could be the difference, but I am going to seriously miss that bowl of creamy lather.

Top Bottom