What's new

Schick Type L injectors for dummies

Type L razors were produced between 1967 - 1984. There is a lot of variations but can be put into distinct categories depending the date range produced with a few exceptions.

Some key pieces of information are that the early ones from 67 - 69/70 were produced by Eversharp and the ones produced from 1970 on were made by Warner Lambert. During this run the typical Type L known as an L1 came with 3 distinct logo styles and a such we can put a date range on the majority of the Type L razors based upon this. We can also group them into 3 variants also since with each logo change so did the way the Type L1 razors shaved.

The first date range is from 1967 - 1972. These have the larger Schick lettering with a triangle under the word Schick as seen here.
L1_67-72.jpg

The second date range is from 1972 - 1982. These have the smaller Schick lettering with the logo underlined as seen here.
L1_72-82.jpg

Finally the last range is 1982 - 1984 these go to a solid large style logo the same as seen on the later Type N and Type O injector.
l1-1980.jpg

With that the first 3 variants will be based on these razors, any razors that don't share these logo styles will be designated as their own variants unless otherwise stated where I know how they shave.

1st variants - Schick large lettering logo with triangle under logo.

Style 1 - This razor is the precursor to the Type L1 and was only produced for a few months in early 1967 before being dropped and later reintroduced as the Type L1 around Christmas of 1967. Produced 1967.
l0a.jpgNorthwest_Arkansas_Times_Mon__Feb_27__1967_rs.jpg

Style 2 - This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1967 - 1972.
L1_67-72.jpg

Style 3 - This razor was most likely was marketed as a ladies razor and has a purple handle. I am of the belief that this razor is sometimes misidentified as the blue handle L4. It is the purple handled razor in the below picture. Produced 1971.
lp1.jpglpb.jpg

Style 4 - This was a promotional razor produced for the 1972 Olympics sold as a Championship razor. It is also referred to as an L7. Produced 1972.
l7-72.jpg

Last edited:
1st variants continued

Style 5 - This is a long handle Type L Schick '500' injector. The '500' razors were the only ones produced with a hydro-magic lever. These were produced in the US and overseas and were never originally designated by Appleby. Produced 1969 - 1972 possibly up to 1975.
Schick_500_holland_2.jpgSchick_500_holland_1.jpgSchick500_1972_b.jpgSchick_1972_a.jpg

Style 6 - This is a greenish tie-dyed Type L '500'. Unknown when produced.
Schick_Green.jpg

Style 7 - This is a purplish tie-dyed Type L '500'. Unknown when produced.
Schick500_purple.jpg

Last edited:
2nd variants - Smaller underlined Schick lettering logo.

Style 1- This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1972 - 1982.
L1_72-82.jpg

Style 2 - This one is referred to as an L5 and sometimes also referred to as a Paul Revere which is a misnomer. This razor was distributed through International Silver but was never called a Paul Revere. It was referred to unofficially as a pistol grip razor and officially as a Schick Classic. It came in 2 finishes either in Pewter or Sterling Silver. It is unknown the exact dates International Silver distributed this razor but is assumed to be between 1976 - 1980. Schick also gave this razor away in 1978 through a mail in promotion which they took out full page ads in national newspapers.
lp1.jpgThe_Spokesman_Review_Sun__May_7__1978_rs.jpg
Style 2 razor is the last one on the right.

Style 3 - This one is the second variant of the Championship razor also referred to as an L7. Produced 1972.
lp1.jpgl7.jpg

Style 4 - This one was never formally designated but was always packaged as a Golden Schick and is identified by the gold plating on the razor head. Produced 1977 - 1978
Schick_Golden.jpg

Style 5 - This one is an orange handled version that is undesignated. Unknown when produced.
L1_orange.jpg

Style 6 - This one is a white handled version that is undesignated.
lp1.jpg
Style 6 is the first razor on the bottom left.

Style 7 - This one shares the same handle as the Type J. Unknown when produced.
TypeLJ.jpg

3rd variant - Solid large style logo.

Style 1- This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1982 - 1984.
l1-1980.jpg

Last edited: 8 minutes ago

Last edited:
Now for variants that aren't based on the L1 handle or logos but were produced in the same time frame. I haven't used them before so they may or may not shave like the first 2 variants.

4th variant

Style 1- This one was sold as the Easy Rider and is also referred to as an L6. The Easy Rider has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with how it shaves as seen in the commercial below. Produced 1971 - 1972.
Schick_Easyrider.jpg

5th variant

Style 1 - This one was sold as as the Stick Schick and is also referred to as an L2. Produced 1973 - 1975.

SchickStick.jpg

6th variant
Style 1 - This was sold as a Schick Grip and is also referred to as an L3. Produced 1975 - 1976.
SchickGrip.jpg

This last razor I am unsure how to classify but it is important for other reasons. This is a Japanese L1. I don't know how it shaves for sure but it is the razor upon which the modern Type L clone injectors are copies of. It has a unique feature in that the guard has teeth in it unlike the US, Canadian or European Type L1 razors.
lj3.jpglj1.jpg

Last edited: 14 minutes ago

Amazing post. Thank you for all this great information and the work that went into it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I had thought myself pretty knowledgeable (based on the Appleby classification), but this, along with your previous work on the E, G, I and J injectors, takes things to a whole new level. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks again.

I just purchased one of these, NOS L-type. I know less than nothing about injector razors in general. Hoping to have some fun with my start in this part of the hobby.

View attachment 1064846 View attachment 1064847
That is referred to as a Type K, which is one of the letters designated to the Lady Eversharp razors.
That one in particular is referred to as a Type K4. It may look like a Type L '500' injector but it doesn't shave the same. I happen to have both and have used them before. If you plan to use that razor I think it is a pretty good shaver and even if you do disagree after using it still would be a good razor to give to your other half if you one to try.

The Type L Japanese one shaves very similar to the Type L1 (triangle) Variant one. I have both and with twin blades I would be hard pressed to tell the difference if used blindly. I use it as my travel razor and it was actually my first injector. It's efficient enough to give me BBS with a Twin but not with a Chick. YMMV of course. The handle and head and slightly different all around. I believe it is a bit shorter than the normal L1.

Thanks, that was a very good post. I have a couple, of which one is possible the "Golden Schick" and it has a brown handle. I have one question also. There are some symbols under the head of the Schick L1. I have two L1s, and I wonder if anyone knows what these symbols represent, if anything? The silver head has a "4" under the head and the gold has "A" or "K" and then "7".

Attachments

• schick L symbols under head.jpg
    schick L symbols under head.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Two L1s.jpg
    Two L1s.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 63
Thanks, that was a very good post. I have a couple, of which one is possible the "Golden Schick" and it has a brown handle. I have one question also. There are some symbols under the head of the Schick L1. I have two L1s, and I wonder if anyone knows what these symbols represent, if anything? The silver head has a "4" under the head and the gold has "A" or "K" and then "7".

Those are most likely manufacturing markings for tooling like the dies used to make each piece. The one on the left is not a Golden Schick. To explain why the Golden Schick was a specific marketing package for gold plated L razors made in the 1977 - 1978 timeframe, possiblely other years but was always a second variant Type L. What you have is a first variant and frankly one I've never seen before. It is gold plated but not a Golden to be correct based on the nomeclature. Knowing what I do know is that Eversharp never got into all the different handle styles of Type L razors. That happened afterwards when Warner Lambert took over the brand. So my guess is that razor was made sometime between 70 and 72. The other L1 is 1967 - 1972 and a standard L1.

Last edited:
As per @Hedas prior post we have a new L1 to add to the list.

This one is going under the 1st variant, style 8.
Key features are it is gold plated and has a brownish color handle as per the picture above and reposted here for posterity.
Two L1s.jpg

1st variant, style 8 on the left.

Now for variants that aren't based on the L1 handle or logos but were produced in the same time frame. I haven't used them before so they may or may not shave like the first 2 variants.

4th variant

Style 1- This one was sold as the Easy Rider and is also referred to as an L6. The Easy Rider has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with how it shaves as seen in the commercial below. Produced 1971 - 1972.
View attachment 1064242

5th variant

Style 1 - This one was sold as as the Stick Schick and is also referred to as an L2. Produced 1973 - 1975.

View attachment 1064240

6th variant
Style 1 - This was sold as a Schick Grip and is also referred to as an L3. Produced 1975 - 1976.
View attachment 1064241

This last razor I am unsure how to classify but it is important for other reasons. This is a Japanese L1. I don't know how it shaves for sure but it is the razor upon which the modern Type L clone injectors are copies of. It has a unique feature in that the guard has teeth in it unlike the US, Canadian or European Type L1 razors.
View attachment 1064243View attachment 1064244

Last edited: 14 minutes ago
@BBS-1 I have those teeth on both my Easy Rider and my Grip razors. I think they make the razor milder for shower shaving as in the ad. Thanks for sharing all this.

Those are most likely manufacturing markings for tooling like the dies used to make each piece. The one on the left is not a Golden Schick. To explain why the Golden Schick was a specific marketing package for gold plated L razors made in the 1977 - 1978 timeframe, possiblely other years but was always a second variant Type L. What you have is a first variant and frankly one I've never seen before. It is gold plated but not a Golden to be correct based on the nomeclature. Knowing what I do know is that Eversharp never got into all the different handle styles of Type L razors. That happened afterwards when Warner Lambert took over the brand. So my guess is that razor was made sometime between 70 and 72. The other L1 is 1967 - 1972 and a standard L1.
Awesome information. Thank you!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@BBS-1 looks like you did great research into the Schick L razors and must have a nice collection.
Very nice research tool and in depth.

Top Bottom