What's new

Schick Type L clones and Type I Discussion

Hi, I was recently taking a look at the Ebarbershop Schick clone as well as the Type L Shave Classic clone. I've read that these clones are not well made and so wanted to check here for any opinions before I sprung on one.

Also, I happened to find a genuine type I for sale which is in fairly descent condition. Does anyone have any experience on these?

Hi, I was recently taking a look at the Ebarbershop Schick clone as well as the Type L Shave Classic clone. I've read that these clones are not well made and so wanted to check here for any opinions before I sprung on one.

Also, I happened to find a genuine type I for sale which is in fairly descent condition. Does anyone have any experience on these?

No personal experience, but a respected member here who I consider the expert on Schick injectors uses a clone everyday. I've heard nothing but praise.

I can't speak to the Type L clone because I've never tried one, but the eBarbershop Type O clone is identical to the original Schick Type O, except for the brand markings. It is extremely well made, and the build quality is outstanding. The clone also shaves identically to the original razor--and it's shaves using the twin blades are absolutely superb. If you use a single blade, like a Chick, it is a mild but efficient shaver. I consider it to be one of the best buys in shaving--especially with the Schick II twin blades.

I've never tried any of the clones, but I type Schicks are good razors. I prefer the E Types myself, but find the I's to be very usable, anything after that has too long of a handle for my taste. But, some guys love the long handles and find the short one awkward.

I'm satisfied with my Type L clone, but don't know how it compares with the real thing. There is a tendency for the Chick blades to ride up under each other when injecting, but if you're careful you can avoid that. It's a good solid shaver, on the mild side. I got mine from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements because it was a little cheaper, and I figured simply putting it in a box would decrease the probability of a dud. Note that a B&B member had a problem with his, and PAA corrected it.

I can't speak to the Type L clone because I've never tried one, but the eBarbershop Type O clone is identical to the original Schick Type O, except for the brand markings. It is extremely well made, and the build quality is outstanding. The clone also shaves identically to the original razor--and it's shaves using the twin blades are absolutely superb. If you use a single blade, like a Chick, it is a mild but efficient shaver. I consider it to be one of the best buys in shaving--especially with the Schick II twin blades.
I've never tried any of the clones, but I type Schicks are good razors. I prefer the E Types myself, but find the I's to be very usable, anything after that has too long of a handle for my taste. But, some guys love the long handles and find the short one awkward.
I'm satisfied with my Type L clone, but don't know how it compares with the real thing. There is a tendency for the Chick blades to ride up under each other when injecting, but if you're careful you can avoid that. It's a good solid shaver, on the mild side. I got mine from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements because it was a little cheaper, and I figured simply putting it in a box would decrease the probability of a dud. Note that a B&B member had a problem with his, and PAA corrected it.

Thank you all for your input. I may look into getting one from PAA as I read the review on that defect here and that was my main concern, if I could take a risk and not have to eat the cost. I'll give PAA a shot.

The Type O clone is fantastic as Steve mentioned above. The Type I-1 is about the same in blade feel, but more efficient with a single blade. The O clone is more efficient with a twin blade. The I-2 hydro magic has more blade feel than either of the other razors, and is more efficient than either with a single blade. Depending on the blade (Proline or Chick) it is almost as efficient as the O clone (Chick) or equal/slightly more efficient than the O clone (Proline). Any of these razors is a good gateway into the world of SE/injector razors. Hope that made sense, and hope you enjoy your shaves with whichever you choose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have all three. Here's my take (all with Twins). PAA type L is the most efficient of the bunch with a twin. It's a BBS maker, with no irritation or issues. It just works, plain and simple. The I-1 with a twin is a step behind. I did a shave off last week Left have L clone, right half I with twin 3 passes and cleanup (if necessary). Both blades had been used once before. 8 hours later i could feel whiskers with the I. 13 hours later I could feel whiskers with the L. For a point of comparison, I used an ATT H1 this morning, and 10 hours later I am just getting a hint of whiskers, but just a hint. nothing will be noticeable for at least another hour or two.

Both shaves were drama free, with a little more feedback from the I. I can't see a need to keep the I with how good the L clone is unless you hate long handles.

I can't get a BBS with the Type O clone with twins, period. I tried a few times and had to do a final pass with the L to make it smooth. This saddens me greatly as the O is beautiful. Why won't you work dangit!?!

Just my two cents.

Just be aware that the I2 Hydro-magic won't take twin blades. The I1 will.
I don't think those blades are even made anymore, so that is fine. I always thought the idea of a multiblade injector was silly anyways. What does an injector twin blade look like anyways? Anyone got photos?

I don't think those blades are even made anymore, so that is fine. I always thought the idea of a multiblade injector was silly anyways. What does an injector twin blade look like anyways? Anyone got photos?

They are still made and they look like any injector blade, except that they have two thin blades bonded together to present one edge with two surfaces. It is nothing like a two-bladed cartridge. They were made by Gillette, Schick, Personna, and Feather, but only the Japanese Schick II are still being made. There are many NOS versions available on eBay. I don't have any photos, but perhaps some of the other gents on this forum might have some.

If you are not interested in them, then go ahead and get an I2 or any other Hydro-magic razor. I was only advising you in case you might be interested in trying them. However, I can assure you that there is nothing "silly" about them. They are a serious improvement on the single injector blade in razors that are made to accept them.

They are still made and they look like any injector blade, except that they have two thin blades bonded together to present one edge with two surfaces. It is nothing like a two-bladed cartridge. They were made by Gillette, Schick, Personna, and Feather, but only the Japanese Schick II are still being made. There are many NOS versions available on eBay. I don't have any photos, but perhaps some of the other gents on this forum might have some.

If you are not interested in them, then go ahead and get an I2 or any other Hydro-magic razor. I was only advising you in case you might be interested in trying them. However, I can assure you that there is nothing "silly" about them. They are a serious improvement on the single injector blade in razors that are made to accept them.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the twin blades.

The Type O clone is fantastic as Steve mentioned above. The Type I-1 is about the same in blade feel, but more efficient with a single blade. The O clone is more efficient with a twin blade. The I-2 hydro magic has more blade feel than either of the other razors, and is more efficient than either with a single blade. Depending on the blade (Proline or Chick) it is almost as efficient as the O clone (Chick) or equal/slightly more efficient than the O clone (Proline). Any of these razors is a good gateway into the world of SE/injector razors. Hope that made sense, and hope you enjoy your shaves with whichever you choose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have the N1, PAA L clone, and the eBarbershop O clone. I’ve found that to me the L clone with a Chick blade is the most aggressive of the three. But then I prefer a mild razor with a sharp blade. I’ve found that bothe the N1 and O clone to be virtually identical in shaving with the twin blades. With the Chick blades they’re OK, but the twin blades make a world of difference.
Just a note, when I first received my L clone it had some quality issues as the blade did not seat correctly. I contacted PAA and they were quite cooperative and quickly corrected the issue. I was suffering from some sever irritation on my chin at the time and so I will reevaluate the shave a bit later on. But the razor does feel to be a bit more aggressive than is my taste.

Thanks everyone. I decided to pop on a Type I or the Hydro Magic.

On the subject of the Hydromagic, what's the definitive answer to how to insert Proline B-20 blades? Here's a video which appears to show that they can be inserted very easily. On the other hand, threads include the following:
"I would like to point out that you cannot change the blade if the lever is in the open position. When it's open for cleaning the blade is locked into place to prevent it from falling out. You cannot insert a blade by hand in a hydro magic. They have two pins that actually hold the blade in place when you open the cleaning lever. To load it, you have to close the cleaning lever and inject a fresh blade. The only injectors I can think of off the top of my head that you can load by hand are the early E's. "

So what's the truth here?
- You can insert B-20 easily by opening the lever
- You can't....

I don’t have a hydro attic, but you can’t replace the blades by opening them with the lever. The lever raises two prongs which holds the blade in place while the razor is cleaned under running water. Don’t even think about opening it to change the blades. You have to use ai injector with a key to insert a fresh blade.

I associated myself with the remarks above of Brother XX.

I don’t have a hydro attic, but you can’t replace the blades by opening them with the lever. The lever raises two prongs which holds the blade in place while the razor is cleaned under running water. Don’t even think about opening it to change the blades. You have to use ai injector with a key to insert a fresh blade.

So how is the guy in the video I posted able to change the blade so easily?

So how is the guy in the video I posted able to change the blade so easily?
Interesting? I really don’t know. I never had the hydromatic. But my dad, who only used Schicks had w of them, the 1st was ruined by trying to remove the blade by opening it. So he purchased a replacement. The hydromatic “experts” here have mentioned elsewhere the same thing use the key to change the blade.

Top Bottom