What's new

Schick type I's...

Picked up two type I's, non hydro's, one white, one black. They have two different heads. The gold head doesn't cover the blade as much as the chrome one. I'll probably use the black one tomorrow, I'm thinking it's the later one.

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

I've been keeping my eyes open for a black-handled non-hydro "I". Seems harder to find. I didn't know blade coverage differed that much from the white-handled "I". I'd be interested on how they compare to each other during a shave.

Highly interesting!

I too have these razors, but I never noticed the difference in the heads that you correctly point out.

The head with what I call the "crown" symbol on it (the white handled one) is identical to my later Type J injector, which also has the crown symbol.

I suggest the black razor with the "triangular" symbol on the head is the earlier model, because it is further away time wise to the Type J which has the crown symbol.

However and whatever, I've not noticed any difference in the dynamics of the shave between these razors. I'm going to be following this thread closely to see where the wisdom leads.

Highly interesting!

Highly interesting!

I too have these razors, but I never noticed the difference in the heads that you correctly point out.

The head with what I call the "crown" symbol on it (the white handled one) is identical to my later Type J injector, which also has the crown symbol.

I suggest the black razor with the "triangular" symbol on the head is the earlier model, because it is further away time wise to the Type J which has the crown symbol.

However and whatever, I've not noticed any difference in the dynamics of the shave between these razors. I'm going to be following this thread closely to see where the wisdom leads.

Highly interesting!

My J type covers the blade more like the black one. It has the crown like the white one and says Schick safety razor on it. Underneath it says pat pending and made in USA. The black one has the triangle on it and just says Schick on it. It also says pat pending and made in USA.

Used the black one this morning with a Gillette TRAC II injector blade that had about 4 face and head shaves on it. Felt just like the J type I used yesterday. I'll use the white one tomorrow with a fresh TRAC II blade. These Gillette TRAC II blades are awesome on the first shave, only used one.

Used the White I today with a fresh Gillette TRAC II blade, no noticeable difference in the blade feel at all from the black one. The I, J, and L all feel the same to me, they just have different handles.

These Twin blades are a game changer... I hope the Schick II blade are as good or better than these Gillette TRAC II blades.

Thanks for your continuing information, Rabidus.

I agree the I and the J and the alternate heads on each feel pretty much the same. I do think the Type L is slightly milder than the I and the J, though the difference is subtle.

Aren't those double edged injector blades marvelous! I bough a pack of the Schick twin blades on ebay and was dubious of new blades from the 1970's and 1980's being decent performers. But the shave they provided was amazingly outstanding. I use them only in the L, though some claim they can be used in the I and the J.

I agree the I and the J and the alternate heads on each feel pretty much the same. I do think the Type L is slightly milder than the I and the J, though the difference is subtle.

Aren't those double edged injector blades marvelous! I bough a pack of the Schick twin blades on ebay and was dubious of new blades from the 1970's and 1980's being decent performers. But the shave they provided was amazingly outstanding. I use them only in the L, though some claim they can be used in the I and the J.

I haven't spent much time with the injectors. If I were to compare the I, J, AND L with a regular Schick blade, I'm sure I would be able to notice the difference. With these Gillette TRAC II blades, the blade feels nonexistent in all if them but it BBS'd my face and head with ease.

I definitely find the E more aggressive than the L type with the regular blade, I prefer the L.

I'll be spending some time with the injectors so I'll compare the twin blade and regular blade more closely in the I, J, and L.

I'll be awaiting your impressions.

I have tough whiskers, so the Type E with a regular blade is my fav. A Type L with a twin blade is its equal, but with increased comfort.

I agree that the I and J feel slightly more efficient, yet non-aggressive, than the L when using twin blades. When using Chicks, they feel equally mild and relatively inefficient to my face. I encourage all to use twins in the I Types and later--the positive difference is staggering to me. I use vintage Personna twins, which are often available on EBay at reasonable prices. I acquired mine for about $.80 per blade.

I'm fearful of springing and damaging the head of an I or a J if I jam a twin blade into them.

I understand the twin blade was engineered and introduced during the years the L was made.

Anyone have an evidence to the contrary? I'm willing to listen. Maybe an ad for the twin blades that specifies they can be used for all injector razors made after a certain date, or whatever?

I'm fearful of springing and damaging the head of an I or a J if I jam a twin blade into them.

I understand the twin blade was engineered and introduced during the years the L was made.

Anyone have an evidence to the contrary? I'm willing to listen. Maybe an ad for the twin blades that specifies they can be used for all injector razors made after a certain date, or whatever?

Wondering the same. New to injectors, recently purchased an I, and was curious about the twin blades.

IMAG0134.jpg

With the exception of the hole in the spring of the J type, the I, J, and L all look to have the same spring.

Don't know about long term effects, but used the twin blade in all 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom