What's new

Schick type E

Tomorrow I try out my newly acquired Schick type E. I watched a YouTube video. He said no pressure, like the micromatic. I can do that.

Anything else to watch out for?

Just beware that they're a lot lighter than GEMs/ERs. Keep the "head" flat against your skin (or maybe tilt back just a smidgen), and don't use any pressure.

Oh, and realize that no method of loading a razor is nearly as fun as an injector :thumbsup:

Yea the loading is half the fun of the shave, er eh....

To me the Micromatic was more to be respected than the type E. I found I could use some pressure with the Schick because of the light head but none with the OCMM. I used a Sensor Excel for more years than I can remember so I really liked the feel of the Type E.

Today was Schick injector day. I'm 64 so it took me a bit to get the blade in. Oh to be 20 again. I used a Personna I bought online.

The YouTube video I watched made me concerned about this razors aggressiveness. Compared to my OCMM, the Schick was a ***** cat. I did 3 passes and the usual touch ups. I did notice not much touch up work was needed. I am declaring it a BBS shave. I don't know if the T & H aftershave balm added to the overall smoothness, but I'm BBS.

I like to rotate razors but not blades. I usually take the blade out of the razor and dry it, ready for tomorrow. Not to be done with the Schick.

I learned to shave with a Schick Injector and currently have a J-1 as one of my regular razors. I have a Golden 500 that I picked up and haven't restored yet and and E-3 that I just finished cleaning tonight and don't plan on using. I love the Injectors!

Tom, how?

If it's an early E type that has the spring that rotates to the left to remove the blade it's easy. On the other models I use the dispenser to start a new blade just enough to move the blade in the razor far enough to get a grip on it and then gently slide it out, being careful not to drag it across the blade stops. After the blade is dry I load it back into the dispenser by pushing the blades in the dispenser down with a small screwdriver or the key from another dipenser and then slide the blade in.

It sounds way more complicated than it is.

Congratulations on the Schick and all the great shaves you have instore...You can take the blade out if you have the Type D, or an E that you can swing the spring to the left to clean, meaning no retaining tabs on both sides...Although I don't think its neccesary unless its going to sit for quite a while...most the Schicks didn't have the swing-out spring, in fact none after Eversharp took the helm and I've never heard any complaints...The injector blades are thick and very sharp, and coated so unless its going to sit for a very long time, its probably better to not be handled and just left alone.YMMV. For me anyway, when I remove the blade from a regular Schick, I have a hard time loading a new blade into an empty razor...

As far as the plastic injectors go, they do have some special handling to learn before they change blades easily...Mine, if I insert the key and lift up on the back of the injector a hair, just to start the blade change, the slide will rack just as easily as the Schick metal injectors...

I see Tom came to the rescue and answered your question while I was typing...Sorry Tom for sounding like I'm repeating part of your answer...:)

You know alot of people have said they think Schicks are boring...I really don't see it...I think they're fantastic...Just dripping with nostalgic goodness, aswell as as much fun as any razor, more than most, aswell as just superb shaves...the perverbial little straight on a handle...What a
great design...

Last edited:
Congratulations on the Schick and all the great shaves you have instore...You can take the blade out if you have the Type D, or an E that you can swing the spring to the left to clean, meaning no retaining tabs on both sides...Although I don't think its neccesary unless its going to sit for quite a while...most the Schicks didn't have the swing-out spring, in fact none after Eversharp took the helm and I've never heard any complaints...The injector blades are thick and very sharp, and coated so unless its going to sit for a very long time, its probably better to not be handled and just left alone.YMMV. For me anyway, when I remove the blade from a regular Schick, I have a hard time loading a new blade into an empty razor...

As far as the plastic injectors go, they do have some special handling to learn before they change blades easily...Mine, if I insert the key and lift up on the back of the injector a hair, just to start the blade change, the slide will rack just as easily as the Schick metal injectors...

I see Tom came to the rescue and answered your question while I was typing...Sorry Tom for sounding like I'm repeating part of your answer...:)

You know alot of people have said they think Schicks are boring...I really don't see it...I think they're fantastic...Just dripping with nostalgic goodness, aswell as as much fun as any razor, more than most, aswell as just superb shaves...the perverbial little straight on a handle...What a
great design...

I never use the same razor two days in a row so I dry the blade thoroughly since it's coming out anyway. And I agree with you, the injectos are fantastic shavers, plus a lot of fun to use. The I2 in your avatar is my favorite model.

Alright!!! finally it seems I've found some cats that share my affection for the wonderful world of injector shaving...I love the DE's I have aswell, but DE's have developed a huge cult of followers while injectors seem to be the Red-Headed Step-Children of TWS...And I can't figure it out...I can't find anything to not love about mine...maybe they're just too fast, clean, smooth and easy for some people...LOL

The injectors that I've tried (Type E,G,I) have to deliver the best shave with the least amount of effort, period. As someone coming from 30 years of cartridge razor shaving this is as close as it gets to being perfect for me.

Even with all the DE and SE razors I have, the only ones I really WANT to use are the injectors. I use the others strictly for nostalgia.

The injectors that I've tried (Type E,G,I) have to deliver the best shave with the least amount of effort, period. As someone coming from 30 years of cartridge razor shaving this is as close as it gets to being perfect for me.

Even with all the DE and SE razors I have, the only ones I really WANT to use are the injectors. I use the others strictly for nostalgia.

I'm pretty much like that with my Schick and all of my SE razors. It has to be the blade thickness. IMHO, It just takes a better edge and holds it.

And GW, I'm with you...I love my DE's...I have a '52 Black Tip SS just dripping with nostalgia, that shaves great aswell...but my I2 is a guanteed GREAT shave...it never fails and its dripping with nostalgia aswell...it so easy it seems modern but actually its only 3 years younger than my '52 SS...
And your E type is the same type as the one my Dad was issued in the Navy during WWII...can't get any more romantically nostalgic than that to me...

Maybe there should be an injector club ??

Last edited:
Maybe there should be an injector club ??

Sign me up!

I didn't mean to imply that the injectors weren't nostalgic. My DE and SE razors can and do deliver BBS. The difference is the amount of effort and/or number of passes to do so. Also some razors/blades require more attention to prep than the injector.

I may be wrong but it seems blade angle makes the difference for me. A double edge to me seems to be scraping more than the SE or the injector. Because the height of the head limits the steepness of blade angle. The upside for the DE is a thin blade. The SE has the disadvantage of the blade thickness and head size. Hence the injectors relatively thin blade and much better blade angle with a small head is tops for me. As always YMMV.

The upside for the DE is a thin blade. The SE has the disadvantage of the blade thickness and head size. Hence the injectors relatively thin blade and much better blade angle with a small head is tops for me. As always YMMV.

Actually I believe injector blades are about as thick as some Gem type blades. They are not as big though, and have no spine. Their blade thickness is one of the reasons why they are so effective. The other reason is their design. However, it is small head of the injector that may have led you to this conclusion, since it makes it easy to position and use. Therefore, in regards to Gem type razors, blade thickness is definitely NOT a disadvantage.

Actually I believe injector blades are about as thick as some Gem type blades. They are not as big though, and have no spine. Their blade thickness is one of the reasons why they are so effective. The other reason is their design. However, it is small head of the injector that may have led you to this conclusion, since it makes it easy to position and use. Therefore, in regards to Gem type razors, blade thickness is definitely NOT a disadvantage.

You are very correct. I had just assumed... ahem, the injectors were thinner than the SE. While you were posting this I was measuring the thickness of some blades.
DE Wilkinson - .005 in.
SE Gem SS - .009 in.
Injector, Personna - .010 in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom