What's new

Schick Type E razors for dummies

The aim of this thread is to categorize the Type E razors in a way that is easier understood for the average collector so as such I will not being using Appleby's designations other than the Type E label to describe them at all. They will presented in chronological order with the variations that differentiate each from the other.

Before I start we need to establish if black handle Type E razors are their own subset of razors or not. If we go by this advertisement then the answer is clear. They aren't. Magazine Repeater Company sold the black and gold along with the onyx-composition and gold razors as different styles of the same razor.
1935E1ad.jpg

Now on to the pictures, First picture has 8 of the 9 styles sold in the order they were made, the last shows the first style of black handle Type E razor.
Type_e_1.jpgEbh1.JPG

From left to right
Movable spring variants
Column 1, first variants, distinguishing feature is the square spring, missing is the black handle version in the picture. It is featured in it's own separate picture.

Column 2, second variants, distinguishing feature is the change of the style of spring from squared to round. Came in 2 handle styles.

Column 3, third variants, distinguishing feature. the lather guard channel is changed. Came in 2 handle styles.

Fixed spring variants
Column 4, 4th variant, distinguishing feature is the extra tab on the left to hold the spring in place.

Column 5, 5th variant, distinguishing feature is the redesign of the spring, tab is now centered to lock the spring in place.

Column 6, 6th variant, distinguishing feature is the addition of striations on the guard to help stretch skin better.

Extra pictures.
Movable spring razors.
Type_e_1a.jpg

Fixed spring razors
Type_e_2.jpg

5th and 6th variant showing the difference between the safety guards.
Type_e_3.jpg

Great info. It will come in very handy to many here.

I am also going to do the I and J injectors in this format since those are the biggest cluster @#*!&* of all the Appleby designations. There is one to 2 pieces of information on them I am trying to nail down first before doing so.

I'm curious about your opinions regarding the differences (if any) in the shave amongst the Type E variants?

I'm curious about your opinions regarding the differences (if any) in the shave amongst the Type E variants?
The shaves are done and the results in.

First delineation, I found that I got the best shaves out of the fixed spring razors so variants 1, 2 and 3 are on the back end of the best shavers. I will say variant 3 is the most aggressive of the lot. The black handle razors are the same as the onyx-composition handles for each accompanying variant. The best one of the movable spring razors for me was the first variant commonly called an E1.

Onto the fixed springs first observation the better shaver of the ones commonly called E2 razors was the 4th variant. Both gave BBS finishes except for one trouble spot under my chin that is where the 4th variant jumps ahead of the 5th variant. 4th variant was also more aggressive while the 5th was more mild but almost equal in performance due to it being very efficient.

Now onto the best shaver of the lot which was the 6th variant commonly called an E3 razor. This razor is the same shave wise as the 5th variant but has one performance tweak that pushes it over the top. The striations on the guard bar really do work as advertised and allow for a closer cut to the skin as it stretches it. That one tweak to the design made the 5th variant from a very good razor to a great razor and also why it is it's own variant.

Last edited:
Thanks again for posting this. Your experience is very helpful in understanding the nuances of the Schick injectors, of which there are many. Many more than I really understood prior to your informative posts.

M

Member 113878

Indeed, thanks a lot for all the great info on Schick injector razors!
Cheers!

I also have to add the 6th variant also known as a Type E3 is one of most well balanced performing razors I've ever used. It has an almost perfect balance of not too mild or too aggressive with the right amount of efficiency to get a BBS shave out of the razor without all standard drama of cuts and irritationwith good technique. Well at least it does for me the way I shave which is I do 5 passes. It is not the best razor or injector I've ever used if you are going strictly by closeness of shave but when you factor in the overall experience of the shave it is up there in the top 3.

I also have to add the 6th variant also known as a Type E3 is one of most well balanced performing razors I've ever used. It has an almost perfect balance of not too mild or too aggressive with the right amount of efficiency to get a BBS shave out of the razor without all standard drama of cuts and irritationwith good technique. Well at least it does for me the way I shave which is I do 5 passes. It is not the best razor or injector I've ever used if you are going strictly by closeness of shave but when you factor in the overall experience of the shave it is up there in the top 3.
Now you've got us all guessing: what's your best injector? And what is the third of your top three?

Now you've got us all guessing: what's your best injector? And what is the third of your top three?
The best overall balanced shave for a razor is the Supply V2 using the 3 dot plate and a Schick II Twin blade. With single edge blade it is still top 3 but not quite there with hydro-magics. If it wasn't for that 3 dot plate this razor could just as easily be a dud.
Closest shave is the I2 Hydro-magics both variants or the 2nd variant Eversharp Schick stamped I1 and J1 razors. I prefer the first variant only because it isn't as aggressive as the later variants.
Type D is up there also as long as I use a Personna blade in it. I haven't had much luck with that razor with Schick branded blades in it so far.

I also like the second variant of the L1 and the Schick adjustable with a Schick II twin blade in it for auto pilot shaves or when I am not shooting for a BBS or better close shave. I use either as a travel razor.

I have other injectors I like to use but they are not in the same league as these. But then again they may be more than good enough for someone else depending their hair and skin type and how many passes they need normally to get to a BBS shave. For me I need to do 5 passes.

Thanks again for your insights. I'm with you on the I2 Hydro-Magics; great shavers.

Should add the Eversharp Hydro-magic '500' razors are long J handle versions of the I2 Hydro-magics. I forgot to list them and should have since I do switch up between the I2 and those versions.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I’ve got an A, several B’s, C3, E3, H1, J2, L1, M3 and an N. For me, the A wins for best shave (and very cool design). The Colonel got it right the first time. Nothing wrong with the others....I’m a big fan of the H1 (Fashion razor), L1 with a twin blade, and M3 (Adjustable).

I’m really enjoying this series, I hope you’re going to do one on the earlier series (A,B,C, D).

I’ve got an A, several B’s, C3, E3, H1, J2, L1, M3 and an N. For me, the A wins for best shave (and very cool design). The Colonel got it right the first time. Nothing wrong with the others....I’m a big fan of the H1 (Fashion razor), L1 with a twin blade, and M3 (Adjustable).

I’m really enjoying this series, I hope you’re going to do one on the earlier series (A,B,C, D).

There isn't much if anything to add to those razors that isn't already known. The only variation between types of those 4 are the Type B razors. The B2 is milder than a B1. The rest all shave the same for the Type they are grouped with.

I also have to add the 6th variant also known as a Type E3 is one of most well balanced performing razors I've ever used.
I've got pretty much every good injector except an A, D and E. The crinkle-finish opening-head E2 and F were always the pinnacle of Injectors for me, but @Old_Hiker kept needling me for years about the E3 until he wore me down and I found one. Both you and him were right - it's up there and one of the greats.

I've got pretty much every good injector except an A, D and E. The crinkle-finish opening-head E2 and F were always the pinnacle of Injectors for me, but @Old_Hiker kept needling me for years about the E3 until he wore me down and I found one. Both you and him were right - it's up there and one of the greats.

If not a top 3 then definitely a top 5 shaving razor in most any shave den.

I just got an E2 Deluxe model with the case and instructions. This razor is gold plated over a polished finish. I also have an E2 which is gold plated over a pebbled finish. Does that difference in metal treatment distinguish between the standard model which I believe came in a cardboard box and the Deluxe model which came in a black bakelite case?

Top Bottom