What's new

Schick Type E razors for dummies

I just got an E2 Deluxe model with the case and instructions. This razor is gold plated over a polished finish. I also have an E2 which is gold plated over a pebbled finish. Does that difference in metal treatment distinguish between the standard model which I believe came in a cardboard box and the Deluxe model which came in a black bakelite case?

It shouldn't. I've never seen any evidence that the type of finish or handle was unique to either the introductory or Deluxe sets that the E1 and E2 razors were sold in from 1935 - 1938.

I see so the Deluxe model is the same razor in the bakelite case and buyer could choose either metal finish. Got it. Thanks!

I see so the Deluxe model is the same razor in the bakelite case and buyer could choose either metal finish. Got it. Thanks!

They got whatever finish the retailer happened to have in stock it wasn't an option. There were only 2 sets and 3 cases offered between 35 and 38 the difference in price for the sets had to do with the how many blades came with the razor The 89 cent set came with 12 blades while the $2 deluxe set came with 20 blades. The other difference was the case itself. The cheaper one was a cardboard box and the deluxe came in a greenish blown molded plastic case. The 3rd case was a customized monogramed reddish blown molded case that was sold through mail order via the instruction sheet that came with the sets. It is possible those plastic sets came in other colors but those are the only 2 I've come across and they always were those colors.

The case in the pic below looks black to me and has the round seal moulded into the cover. It feels like bakelite to me.

20200216_151124.jpg

The case in the pic below looks black to me and has the round seal moulded into the cover. It feels like bakelite to me.

View attachment 1065185and
That is black alright and now that I look at the other examples I have to walk back my greenish color statement. looks like a trick of the light and they should be black not greenish.

Those are also nice examples for sets also. Congrats.

@BBS-1 this razor just sold for an impressive amount! The orange case is unique. Have you any info on this E1 set?

20200306_112239.jpg

I unfortunately was greatly out bid!

@BBS-1 this razor just sold for an impressive amount! The orange case is unique. Have you any info on this E1 set?

View attachment 1071208

I unfortunately was greatly out bid!

It is a standard E1, there is no difference between the black or onyx-composition handle versions. It most likely was sold originally in an introductory set and the original owner upgraded the case that was sold through mail order using the coupon that was in the instruction sheet. If it was a Deluxe set the case would say Deluxe and have the $2.00 price tag on the inside of the case. It also looks like the color is faded on the case. It should be like a dark reddish brown color.

I saw the auction also and my take is someone overpaid just to get the razor.

Last edited:
The finish on the case is awfully even inside and out for fading, but that is a possibility. It looks like some weird "Halloween Special". I notice that my deluxe set has a black background and orange lettering on the instruction sheet cover. I wonder if this is some reverse color theme due to the black handle. In any case the thing went for way more than I would be willing do pay and really surprised me!

The finish on the case is awfully even inside and out for fading, but that is a possibility. It looks like some weird "Halloween Special". I notice that my deluxe set has a black background and orange lettering on the instruction sheet cover. I wonder if this is some reverse color theme due to the black handle. In any case the thing went for way more than I would be willing do pay and really surprised me!

Too much UV or cleaned in boiling hot water will cause the color to either discolor or fade on those cases and handles.

This is representative of what they sold between 35 and 38 before the introduction of the 20 year guarantee on the sets. Those also coincide with the introduction of the fixed spring Type E razors.

The only variations not pictured are maybe a 3rd instruction sheet and the black handle versions of the razors.
TE4.jpgTE3.jpgTE2.jpgTE1.jpg

The mail order cases never had the Deluxe sticker on them and were always a different color from the Deluxe cases. The Deluxe case also always had the price of $2.00 in the lower right hand corner of the case lid. Mine the sticker is chewed up but other examples in better shape all have it.

I just picked this up from a car boot for £1. Could you tell me which model it is please? The seller had cleared the garage of a razor blade factory owner but apart from this and an early Wilkinson Sword Profile handle and lots of de blades it had been picked clean. I was lucky enough to buy a lifetime’s supply of profile type blades from Aldi a couple of years ago so I’ll use the profile handle daily when my old one gives up.
9AB9F93B-9FDB-4411-A26C-69EC661A62D8.jpeg
7CAD5633-DC5A-4ADF-A301-7725BC8B9ECF.jpeg
99DAA034-4743-4823-997E-0E09A2074365.jpeg

I just picked this up from a car boot for £1. Could you tell me which model it is please? The seller had cleared the garage of a razor blade factory owner but apart from this and an early Wilkinson Sword Profile handle and lots of de blades it had been picked clean. I was lucky enough to buy a lifetime’s supply of profile type blades from Aldi a couple of years ago so I’ll use the profile handle daily when my old one gives up. View attachment 1448551View attachment 1448552View attachment 1448554
That’s the Schick I injector razor. It’s an excellent razor and provides wonderful shaves. I can’t remember all the details behind it, but I think it was produced in the 1950s.

That’s the Schick I injector razor. It’s an excellent razor and provides wonderful shaves. I can’t remember all the details behind it, but I think it was produced in the 1950s.
Thanks for the info Jim99 I’ll sterilise it and give it a trial tomorrow morning. I’m smiling as it’s as old as me - I’m from

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
E2.In Case.3-20.640.JPG

Mine is an E2 open to clean.

It was sold to me on eBay with this case. I have no idea that the hard case is or isn't original to the razor, but it's a very nice case and the razor fits just perfectly within an indentation.​

It's always interesting to read this thread again.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1448630
Mine is an E2 open to clean.

It was sold to me on eBay with this case. I have no idea that the hard case is or isn't original to the razor, but it's a very nice case and the razor fits just perfectly within an indentation.​

It's always interesting to read this thread again.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That’s the same case that came with my E2, and I believe that is the correct case.

Top Bottom