What's new

Schick Tracer FX

At the time that this razor went on the market I was using an atra. I didn't switch razors till the mach-3 came out. Research tells me schick designed and marketed this razor to go up against the gillette sensor. With it's flexible cartridge how did it compare?, did it give a good shave?, does it pivot or does it have a fixed head. Still see the refills at wal-mart but I haven't seen the razor handle itself in a store for a long time. I have seen them online though.

Clayton

I used it for awhile. It was an OK razor, probably equivalent to the Atra but certainly not superior.

The fundamental problem with the razor is the idea. Metal that is able to bend is not able to hold as sharp an edge. It's physically impossible.

Plus it was based on the idea of applying more pressure and not worrying about angles; just push harder and the thing will bend around all your curves and still give you a good shave!

As I recall, the head did pivot.

The razor is available on line at various places; blades are almost everywhere.

With it's flexible cartridge how did it compare?

Atra is different...only using one FX to see.

...did it give a good shave?, does it pivot or does it have a fixed head. Still see the refills at wal-mart but I haven't seen the razor handle itself in a store for a long time. I have seen them online though.

Clayton

Yes it gives a good shave depending on your standards...YMMV, of course...The head is fixed (needs better confirmation...) but the blade bends.

Here (EU) the handle is still available...

The Schick FX was what I used for a looooong time, until I couldn't find replacement cartridges and was forced to use the Xtreme3.

I liked it much better compared to the 3 bladed carts.
The is flexible and does pivot, although I never did use a lot of pressure. I found that once I picked up a DE, I've been using proper technique all along...Thanks, Dad!

Also, the Diamond FX carts were much better than the regulars.

I had such fond memories, I recently ordered some Diamond FX, under the Wilkinson Sword name, which is Schick everywhere else besides US.

Not quite DE/SE, but still the best cartridge shave I've ever had :biggrin:

RResurrecting this thread cos I inadvertently bought some Fx blades from the 99p shop, then did a great trade ( thanks a Rose's thorn) to get a handle that would fit.
It's all queued up for tomorrow morning's shave, so we'll see...
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Shaved with the Tracer this morning.
Very nice - the length and the ergonomics are excellent.
Its flexing blade had some slight difficulties with neck troublespots, but these were soon overcome for a fine DFS+
proxy.php

Top Bottom