What's new

Schick Proline in Vector

I know that Blackland has dropped the Proline blades from their recommended list due to fitment issues with the Vector.

I have a pack of Proline blades that I purchased to use with my RR Hawk V3, but have not yet used any. I tried one in my Vector, and it appears to fit fine.

My question is: Where do the Prolines fall on the aggression scale, as compared to Feather and Kia guarded blades, and Feather Profesional blades?

Specifically seeking input on the Proline blades when used with the Vector, but any input welcome.

Thanks.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've got a Shield AC in the mail - and not a whole lot of AC format blades around but did find some Proline P30s .. I'd be interested in any user opinions as well. I have been using Feather AC Supers in the ATT, other than a shavette the only-est AC I still own

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm using the Schick proline p30(won those in a raffle) and the Feather professional AC blades and my simple conclusion they are similar for sharpness and longevity. I use the P30 blades in my Yaqi Excalibur 50 mm and they fit with no problem, I thought at first the Feather was sharper and after using one I went back to the Proline P30 and it performed similar. Both the Feather and the Schick proline are good for around 6-7 shaves in my Yaqi Excalibur it seems with my beard type. I also have the Kai Protouch blades and they get about the same amount of shaves per blade, I use the Kai protouch in my Shavette( good blade to learn with using a shavette IMO, sharp & smoooth with less nicks and cuts.)

In my opinion.
I think Proline P30 is the mildest of the so called normal AC blades
(except for guarded and feather right).

I'm sorry to say that it didn't fit my vector, but it was the best blade for hawk v3 OC.
It is the second longest lasting blade after feather super.

Maybe it is a little thicker or more rigid like feather super.

I have a pack of Prolines and so far I’ve tried 3 blades and none fit my Vector. Should i assume that if a few blades don’t fit the rest in a cartridge won’t either? Don’t want to pull all the blades trying to find out.

So far I’ve tried the Kai protouch MG and Feather Pro. The Kai’s are very smooth. I felt that the Feather’s tugged a bit.

I just bought a Vector for my wife to give to me for Christmas. I had to make sure the Prolines I have fit, and they did.

This is what is keeping me from purchasing a Vector. The Proline is my favorite AC blade. Why do some seem to fit and some seem not to fit in these razors?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I now have the Stainless and Ti Vectors. The Schick Proline P blades I have fit both razors perfectly and the blade aligns perfectly in both razors.

My Proline P blades are a couple of years or so old.

I just discovered that my new to me titanium Vector doesn't accept the newer Proline blades that I bought last year in July. So I have 3 new P-30 packs and one slightly used pack (2-3 blades). They'll go the BST for someone who can use the new Prolines.

Thankfully, I discovered that the Feather Professionals seem to work just as well for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Vector Titanium is the newest razor in my collection of AC platform safety razors.

For the record I have the original SS General, the ATT SE1, the ATT SE2, the SS DLC Hawk, the ATT X1, the SS Hawk v3, and the Vector. They were acquired and used in that order.

11-2-22.My.AC-platform-safety-razors.640..jpg

With the probable exception of the SE2 I like 'em all.

I've use the Proline in all of them, including the Vector.

I have very little experience with AC blades other than the Proline. Mostly that's because I was advised to begin with the Proline due to its perfect blend of smoothness and sharpness. Indeed, it's a great blade.

In my opinion and experience the Vector is a more aggressive razor (meaning prone to drawing blood) than the other AC platform safety razors I've used, a fact I discovered the hard way.

It's not that the Vector with a Proline jumped up out of the bushes to bite the hell out of me. Rather I had more than usual itty bitty nicks and tiny bleeders. Anyway, when I reported that fact to more experienced Vector shavers, I was advised to think of the Vector as a sports car, and to learn to use it with training wheels before attempting the more aggressive Proline.

It was advice I reluctantly took mostly because why not and because I liked the mixture of metaphors.

Kai Blades.Pink.Gurarded.Box of 150.640.JPG

Towards that end I used the guarded pink blades.

The advice turned out to be to my advantage judging by this morning's successful shave going back to the Proline after several shaves with the guarded "Pink" Protouch Kai blade/training wheels.

Both blades fit my Vector just fine.

For the record I have a big stash of Proline blades perhaps close to three hundred or something absurd like that, but they were purchased several years ago. I've heard rumors some Prolines don't fit the Vector, but mine do.

Good thing as they're great blades and I have a few of them.

Steep & Shallow Shaving Angles.640.7-22..png

Maybe I'll try the training wheels with the SE2 sometime, but part of what I don't enjoy about the SE2 is its somewhat pointed teeth. I'm very much a steep angle guy with all razors.

For the record, the ATT X1 is a terrific razor. I've said it might be the best razor I've ever used. It's possible the Vector might be right up there in the same league, but I've not used the Vector enough to firmly draw such a conclusion.

I have no idea about anything outside of my own experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Vector Titanium is the newest razor in my collection of AC platform safety razors.

For the record I have the original SS General, the ATT SE1, the ATT SE2, the SS DLC Hawk, the ATT X1, the SS Hawk v3, and the Vector. They were acquired and used in that order.

View attachment 1550464

With the probable exception of the SE2 I like 'em all.

I've use the Proline in all of them, including the Vector.

I have very little experience with AC blades other than the Proline. Mostly that's because I was advised to begin with the Proline due to its perfect blend of smoothness and sharpness. Indeed, it's a great blade.

In my opinion and experience the Vector is a more aggressive razor (meaning prone to drawing blood) than the other AC platform safety razors I've used, a fact I discovered the hard way.

It's not that the Vector with a Proline jumped up out of the bushes to bite the hell out of me. Rather I had more than usual itty bitty nicks and tiny bleeders. Anyway, when I reported that fact to more experienced Vector shavers, I was advised to think of the Vector as a sports car, and to learn to use it with training wheels before attempting the more aggressive Proline.

It was advice I reluctantly took mostly because why not and because I liked the mixture of metaphors.

View attachment 1550448

Towards that end I used the guarded pink blades.

The advice turned out to be to my advantage judging by this morning's successful shave going back to the Proline after several shaves with the guarded "Pink" Protouch Kai blade/training wheels.

Both blades fit my Vector just fine.

For the record I have a big stash of Proline blades perhaps close to three hundred or something absurd like that, but they were purchased several years ago. I've heard rumors some Prolines don't fit the Vector, but mine do.

Good thing as they're great blades and I have a few of them.

View attachment 1550469

Maybe I'll try the training wheels with the SE2 sometime, but part of what I don't enjoy about the SE2 is its somewhat pointed teeth. I'm very much a steep angle guy with all razors.

For the record, the ATT X1 is a terrific razor. I've said it might be the best razor I've ever used. It's possible the Vector might be right up there in the same league, but I've not used the Vector enough to firmly draw such a conclusion.

I have no idea about anything outside of my own experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, do you find the X1 having less efficiency than the SE1? I have both and while I really like the X1 for its smoothness, I find the SE1 to shave closer but with more blade feel. Curious about your experience with these two.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, do you find the X1 having less efficiency than the SE1? I have both and while I really like the X1 for its smoothness, I find the SE1 to shave closer but with more blade feel. Curious about your experience with these two.

I wouldn't say I find the X1 less efficient than the SE1 at least not enough to concern me. I'm fine if I have to do a bit of buffing on my soul patch. I may have addressed this question a bit more carefully during the recent ACtober, and on that thread, but I don't recall. Probably not.

I looked it up and discovered I didn't do a head to head evaluation or comparison between the two razors during ACtober, so I'm largely going by impressions formed over time. I've certainly used the SE1 a lot but most that use was years ago because my General and SE1/SE2 were on an extended road trip. In other words, don't think I have a precise answer to your question.

I think all my AC razors are more efficient than any of my DE razors. (To a degree I'm considering only DE razors smooth enough to consider using regularly. That would sorta kinda rule out a few DE razors such as maybe the iKon Tech).

Both the SE1 and the X1 are very good razors, as is my General, as is my SS DLC Hawk, as is the Vector. The Vector is the most aggressive and most efficient of the lot I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I wouldn't say I find the X1 less efficient than the SE1 at least not enough to concern me. I'm fine if I have to do a bit of buffing on my soul patch. I may have addressed this question a bit more carefully during the recent ACtober, and on that thread, but I don't recall. Probably not.

I looked it up and discovered I didn't do a head to head evaluation or comparison between the two razors during ACtober, so I'm largely going by impressions formed over time. I've certainly used the SE1 a lot but most that use was years ago because my General and SE1/SE2 were on an extended road trip. In other words, don't think I have a precise answer to your question.

I think all my AC razors are more efficient than any of my DE razors. (To a degree I'm considering only DE razors smooth enough to consider using regularly. That would sorta kinda rule out a few DE razors such as maybe the iKon Tech).

Both the SE1 and the X1 are very good razors, as is my General, as is my SS DLC Hawk, as is the Vector. The Vector is the most aggressive and most efficient of the lot I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I found the efficiency comparable, with the X1 Slant the smoother of the two. :)

I have the same feeling.

X1 has good efficiency in terms of removing stubbles, and it is very comfortable, but I can always get a closer shave with most of my DE razors.

X1 is my first AC blade razor, so I cannot tell if other SE razors shave similar until I received my Vector.:001_wub:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mostly or maybe entirely I've been using my Vector since it arrived. It's more aggressive than my other AC platform safety razors which caused me to use training wheels for a few shaves, but I'm back to using it with the AC blade I always use (when not needing training wheels).

I will soon begin a kinda sorta head to head comparison of the Vector with my X1. I've said several times that the X1 might be the best razor I've ever used. I do not say that lightly. It is very smooth and very efficient. I do not find the X1 to be too large or too bulky or unable to get into the places I need it to go.

The Vector's head is incredibly tiny. It is extremely nimble and certainly at the pinnacle of a razor's abilities to reach into small spaces. It's a joy in that regard at and within my nares. While plenty smooth in most directions and most places it is barely smooth enough for me ATG/S-N on my very sensitive upper lip. Barely smooth enough means it's tolerable for sure but not delightful.

I believe what I'd like best would be for the ATT X1 and the Vector to have a baby. Still, I have to do the head to head shaves before suggesting that to the universe.

Is the X1 as smooth as I remember? Especially under my nose on my upper lip?

Both the X1 and the Vector deliver close long lasting shaves. I believe the X1 is smoother, but is my memory correct? Both are efficient enough for me.

I would be very hard pressed to say I can get a DE razor to easily, reliably, and consistently deliver the close shaves my AC safety razors give me. That doesn't mean the AC platform delivers without any buffing or "second" passes, but I already know AC beats DE for me.

As always my number one shaving goal is a Damn Comfortable Shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom