What's new

Schick Proline blade 1st impressions and compare to feather professional

I brought out my RR hawk v3 since I wanted to finally try the schick proline 30 I've heard so much about.

My only experience with a AC style blade so far has been the feather professionals, which i was told aren't great.

I must say, idk what the hype is about. I had probably my worst shave in several months with the pro line today. Very rough feel. I did wtg and xtg with the proline amd I did half my face atg with the proline and the other half with the feather professional. The feather professional was literally night and day difference.

I cannot believe how much more smooth the feather was. Or should I say, I cannot believe how rough the proline were. I rarely have blades feel this rough, the only other blade I can think of that were this bad for me were the Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India.

I threw that proline away and will be selling or trading the other 29.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Both Prolines and Pros (and Pro Supers, my favorite) are unforgiving during the first few shaves. It takes 3-4 shaves for them to settle in, in my experience -- and I've been using these blades exclusively for going on 5 years. After that, you're good for 10, 20 or more comfortable shaves.

Bonus hint: If you let up a bit on the pressure during those first 3-4 shaves, you may discover that you've still, after all this time, been using more pressure than you actually need for a close shave. YMMV, of course.

Both Prolines and Pros (and Pro Supers, my favorite) are unforgiving during the first few shaves. It takes 3-4 shaves for them to settle in, in my experience -- and I've been using these blades exclusively for going on 5 years. After that, you're good for 10, 20 or more comfortable shaves.

Bonus hint: If you let up a bit on the pressure during those first 3-4 shaves, you may discover that you've still, after all this time, been using more pressure than you actually need for a close shave. YMMV, of course.
That's cool. I usually use a feather light touch and am used to efficient razors like the merkur futur, r41, rex ambassador with a feather blade. This blade was just rough. Sounds like it needs to be broken in but that's not gonna work for me. I don't want 4 bad shaves before it starts working when feather professionals work from the first shave.

- Fayiz D.

It may just be not for me. People swear by polsilver blades and astra sp and neither have ever given me a good shave

- Fayiz D.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have found that blades that are a little rough or give nicks & weepers on the first couple shaves are very sharp and either you cork the blade (take a wine cork and bury the blade about 1/8 deep and slice out ward 1-2 times) or face strop from just use of the blade and they seem to smooth out. The grind and stropping from the factory is so that the edge is almost to sharp and needs to be refined a little, I Personally do not like a overly sharp blade but have used them. The Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is a very sharp blade but manageable for the 1-2 shave and after that it is one of best blades out there with great longevity. If you have a milder base plate take advantage of the sharp blade for 3 or 4 shaves and then put the blade in the aggressive base plate this is what I do with Gem Personna blades using different Gem razor models going mild to aggressive works well for myself.
The P-30 Schick Proline is made in the USA by (Edgewell) and they would very sharp and will out last the Feather blade because they use a better quality steel for longevity. Getting by the first couple of shaves you will notice them smooth out , I have some B-20 Schick proline blades and they worked Ok with 10 shaves at least per blade in my SE Enders speed shaver.

Last edited:
I have found that blades that are a little rough or give nicks & weepers on the first couple shaves are very sharp and either you cork the blade (take a wine cork and bury the blade about 1/8 deep and slice out ward 1-2 times) or face strop from just use of the blade and they seem to smooth out. The grind and stropping from the factory is so that the edge is almost to sharp and needs to be refined a little, I Personally do not like a overly sharp blade but have used them. The Gem Personna SS PTFE blade is a very sharp blade but manageable for the 1-2 shave and after that it is one of best blades out there with great longevity. If you have a milder base plate take advantage of the sharp blade for 3 or 4 shaves and then put the blade in the aggressive base plate this is what I do with Gem Personna blades using different Gem razor models going mild to aggressive works well for myself.
The P-30 Schick Proline is made in the USA by (Edgewell) and they would very sharp and will out last the Feather blade because they use a better quality steel for longevity. Getting by the first couple of shaves you will notice them smooth out , I have some B-20 Schick proline blades and they worked Ok with 10 shaves at least per blade in my SE Enders speed shaver.
I'm used to sharp blades. Feather de are my go to blades. These didn't feel sharp but really tuggy and dull. I'll try them but I had a terrible shave with this first one and I would rather have blades last shorter then having to go through several bad shaves for these to work.

I'm using the "A" plate of the hawk v3 which is their aggressive plate. The feather professional felt smooth as silk all 3 shaves with them.

- Fayiz D.

I too have tried the Shick Proline...both kindly send by forum members. 4 from the US and 1 from the UK.
The Proline blade from the US was kinda rough and not so smooth and both times I use it, some micro weepers.
The Proline blade from the UK, I used this morning, and surprisingly it was better. Smoother, more comfortable & no weepers!
I have the Feather professional and KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink blade waiting in line to bat...let see how...

So far I much prefer the Feather & KAI Proguard blades...way smoother and just as efficient.

Eben Stone

Staff member
...I cannot believe how much more smooth the feather was. Or should I say, I cannot believe how rough the proline were. I rarely have blades feel this rough...

Yep. For me the RR Hawk V3 + Feather Pro is the best shave I've experienced so far. I'm only on shave #3 with the Prolines but so far I've got nothing good to say about them.

Top Bottom