What's new

Schick Krona: The most underrated great shaver.

I was Pifed a Krona awhile back, I shaved with it for a month then it just set unused for a long time. This morning while deciding what razor to shave with today, I saw the Krona and figured it was time to give it some use. My razor rotation has gotten a little out of sight. So the Krona hasn't been used in probably three months.

The shave was a delight, very smooth and irritation free. The blade angle is easier to control than any other razor I own. I'm guessing it is the design of the doors with the angled ends at the blade. The longish tapered handle makes control with advanced techniques a breeze. I sometimes forget that a razor doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to bring great shave with it.

I wrote this as another thanks to larzone for giving me a great razor. That I most likely would never have tried and the great shaves I've had with the razor.

$Krona paper.jpg

I will always keep a Krona here. They are very nice shaving razors. Mild, efficient, smooth. All anyone could ask from a razor

proxy.php

I am thinking of letting mine go. I seem to need extra passes and touch ups to achieve a CCS shave, and this causes irritation. So is out of rotation currently; I'm hoping my technique will improve so that when I pick it back up, I'll see that it's a keeper.

Are there any other TTOs with a similar long handle? (I already have a long handle super adjustable)

Would the Feather Popular be the modern incarnation of the Krona?

The Feather Popular would be more a modern incarnation of the plastic handled Gillette TTO's I think. Based on the head geometry. The Feather has quite a fat head also while the Krona has a head that is slightly slimmer compared to Gillette TTO heads.

The Feather Popular would be more a modern incarnation of the plastic handled Gillette TTO's I think. Based on the head geometry. The Feather has quite a fat head also while the Krona has a head that is slightly slimmer compared to Gillette TTO heads.

Thanks ... actually I referred to the metal / plastic construction that both razors share (where the Feather would contain more plastic than the Schick Krona)

I almost bought a Schick, but decided on a Rocket ... the only similarity between the two was the price :wink2:

My Krona was not one of my first razors. I got it just a while ago in a lot buy with a bout a dozen others. It IS a favorite though. Nice comfortable shave, BBS is easy with that razor everywhere but the jaw line, it takes a bit of work there. It was the first razor I got to BBS in that difficult area though.

I've had my Krona about a month, and haven't used it yet. It's good to hear they are good shavers. I lucked into mine for $5 in the wild and I thought it was a good buy. I'll have to try it soon.

Just had my first ever DE shave yesterday and I used a metal base krona like you have. I was amazed how easy it was to use. I had zero problem finding the right angle and it was easily the closest shave I've had in my life with little to no irritation afterward. I'm glad I started with the krona and I'm looking forward to trying something more aggressive in the future.

WSideWitneSS,

Use the Krona for at least a month before you go to another razor. Sounds kinda stupid, but it develops technique. My first shave was great as well, but my first shave for work left much to be desired. When you get good at shaving (good lather, right angle, right blade, right blade replacement time, some idea of the cream or soap that is at least acceptable, and can get the shave you want in 10 bleary-eyed AM minutes with the Krona, go buy a Super Speed, Tech, or New and have fun.

Don't let this discourage you. Early on, the process is to enjoy the exploring and learning. Soon, you will not think about that any more and really enjoy the shave.

I was Pifed a Krona awhile back, I shaved with it for a month then it just set unused for a long time. This morning while deciding what razor to shave with today, I saw the Krona and figured it was time to give it some use. My razor rotation has gotten a little out of sight. So the Krona hasn't been used in probably three months.

The shave was a delight, very smooth and irritation free. The blade angle is easier to control than any other razor I own. I'm guessing it is the design of the doors with the angled ends at the blade. The longish tapered handle makes control with advanced techniques a breeze. I sometimes forget that a razor doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to bring great shave with it.

I wrote this as another thanks to larzone for giving me a great razor. That I most likely would never have tried and the great shaves I've had with the razor.

View attachment 340850

I had a similar experience with another classic "mild" razor. I gave up on the Gillette Tech early on. I couldn't get a close shave with it despite multiple passes, and wrote it off in favor of more aggressive razors. When I returned to it a year later, I found it to give an effortless, comfortable BBS shave. It has become one of my favorites. My theory is that while aggressive razors punish too much pressure, they are more forgiving than mild razors when it comes to poor technique. They allow a wider range of blade angles to yield a close shave. However, once you've got your technique down (and have no trouble maintaining proper blade angle), the "mild" razors really shine. Now that you have some time under your belt with DE razors, I suspect you'll find yourself reaching for the Krona more and more.

Mike

My Krona was the second DE I ever owned. It is a perfect beginner user grade razor. As stated, it helps the user find the perfect shaving angle, as it seems there is only 1 angle in which it will shave (a sweet spot). I have since bought another for a colleague that I converted to DE shaving. My current one does double duty as my wifes leg shaver and my head shaver. It is perfectly suited for both. And its much easier to come by and cheaper that a lady Gillette for the wifie. If it breaks or gets dropped, I am not out a ton of cash. If the fatboy, slim, and black beauty guys knew about these, they would drive the price up on them too! Lets keep the Krona our secret.

I had a similar experience with another classic "mild" razor. I gave up on the Gillette Tech early on. I couldn't get a close shave with it despite multiple passes, and wrote it off in favor of more aggressive razors. When I returned to it a year later, I found it to give an effortless, comfortable BBS shave. It has become one of my favorites. My theory is that while aggressive razors punish too much pressure, they are more forgiving than mild razors when it comes to poor technique. They allow a wider range of blade angles to yield a close shave. However, once you've got your technique down (and have no trouble maintaining proper blade angle), the "mild" razors really shine. Now that you have some time under your belt with DE razors, I suspect you'll find yourself reaching for the Krona more and more.

Mike

Good analysis of what happens.

Top Bottom