What's new

Schick Krona Questions

proxy.php

Thanks! Interesting to see a two-ply design in the yellow plastic case. I had thought those cases came along after the design changed to one-ply, ca. 1967.

The codes 1-2/M-5 are the same as the other razor you reported, back on page one. Is it the same razor, or do you have two with identical codes?

Thanks! Interesting to see a two-ply design in the yellow plastic case. I had thought those cases came along after the design changed to one-ply, ca. 1967.

The codes 1-2/M-5 are the same as the other razor you reported, back on page one. Is it the same razor, or do you have two with identical codes?

I have two with identical codes (one nickel and one gold tone). I sent a PM with the remaining information on the three that I have for the Wiki.

Last edited:
What if schick's customer service enswered the question thinking that OP was asking about the Krona blades and not the razor ?

PS: That's it, I'm writting down a physical letter to Schick consumer department to request information about this razor.

Last edited:
I have two with identical codes (one nickel and one gold tone). I sent a PM with the remaining information on the three that I have for the Wiki.

Could you try again, please? I had a problem on my end - sorry.

What if schick's customer service enswered the question thinking that OP was asking about the Krona blades and not the razor ?

Yes, perhaps 1959-1965 would cover the first generation or two of Krona blades: perhaps just the ca. 1960 carbon-steel injectors. I imagine there was little market for those after 1963 or so, when coated stainless blades took over the market.

There might be another interesting Schick story around that, too. Eversharp-Schick had probably been thinking about invading the DE market for some time. In order to compete with Gillette they would need three things: a good blade, a slider pack to dispense it, and a TTO razor. The Kuhnl patent US3126091 for the classic Schick DE blade pack was filed 1962-03-22, implying that Schick was working along these lines. They might have even been ready to market carbon steel blades in 1962, maybe planning on a Christmas release. But 1962 was the same year Wilkinson coated stainless blades took the shaving market by storm, which would have disrupted their plans. Later that year Schick patent US3203829 was filed 1962-09-25, setting the stage for coated stainless blades of their own.

It would be very surprising if Schick did not have plans for a TTO DE razor in 1963. Just speculating, but perhaps the disruption from Wilkinson kept that from happening? Eversharp-Schick probably realized that coated stainless was now the minimum requirement for a new brand of blade, and shifted all development work to the coated stainless project. That was probably the right move: it seems they came to market at about the same time as ASR/Personna, leaving to Gillette behind with the Super Blue Blade. Those were probably good months for Schick: Wilkinson stumbled with distribution and marketing, and ASR/Personna reportedly had QC problems.

"The biggest of them all was really only waiting until it was ready. Last week Boston's Gillette Co., the world's largest maker of razor blades (7 billion last year), announced that it too will market a stainless steel blade. The new blades will be distributed first in New York and Philadelphia and then to the rest of Gillette's 3,500 distributors and 500,000 retail outlets. Gillette thus becomes the third major U.S. company to go stainless, and its entry into the field signals the start of what is certain to be a bitter competition for the growing U.S. stainless blade market... It could afford to ignore the success of Britain's venerable Wilkinson Sword Ltd., which has been unable to meet demand ever since it began selling its Super Sword-Edge stainless blades in the U.S. 18 months ago. But demand for the stainless blades lured Gillette competitors Schick (Krona Plus) and American Safety Razor (Personna and PAL) into the field—and Gillette was forced to go along."

Source Time Magazine Friday, Sep. 06, 1963 - Marketing: Gillette Goes Stainless

"Stalled for a time by Eversharp-Schick's virtual corner on the high-grade European steel required for stainless blades, [Gillette's] mass production got under way in August 1963.

Source King C. Gillette - The Man and His Wonderful Shaving Device - Russell Adams

So Schick was producing stainless in early 1963 and was limiting Gillette's entry into that area of production.

Last edited:
Time to carry the table over to this page. More data welcome.

Member!!Brand!!Knob!!Doors!!Baseplate!!Code – Top Row (Left-to-Right)!!Code - Bottom Row (Left-to-Right)!!Weight (g)!!Case/Packaging/Notes
|Schick||black, raised triangle logo||Schick - Schick||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||3-3||9-M||38||Yellow plastic case. "O" under center bar. One-ply design.
|Schick||black||Schick - (blank)||PATENTS PENDING||4-2||3-M||?||
|Schick||metallic, painted/printed triangle logo||(blank)||Triangle logo on right, MADE/IN/U.S.A. on left||3-2||6-M||50||"A" under center bar.
|Schick||black||Schick - Schick||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||2-2||5-M||?||NOS in package: bar code, yellow plastic case, and Plus Platinum blades.
|Schick||black||SCHICK - KRONA||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A. / PATENTS PENDING||2-3||1-M||38||-
|Schick||metallic||(blank)||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||1-2||6-M||52||-
|Schick||metallic||(blank)||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||1-2||M-5||54||Opposite order for "M-5". Packaging copyright 1965. Two-ply design.
|Eversharp||metallic, eagle logo||(blank)||eagle logo - EVERSHARP||4-2||6-M||51||Two-ply design.
|Schick||metallic gold-tone, triangle logo||(blank)||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||1-2||M-5||54||Yellow plastic case. Two-ply design.
|Schick||metallic||(blank)||Triangle logo on left, MADE/IN/U.S.A. on right||1-2||M-5||55||Opposite order for "M-5". Packaging copyright 1965. "Printed in USA M-64-132".
|Schick||black||Schick - Schick||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||2-2||4-M||?||"A" under center bar.
|Schick||black, raised triangle logo||Schick® - Schick||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A. / PATENTS PENDING||3-3||1-M||?||No letter under center bar.
| Eversharp ||metallic, eagle logo||(blank)||eagle logo - EVERSHARP||4-2||6-M||50||"A" under center bar. Two-ply design.
|Schick||black, triangle logo||Schick - Schick||SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.||1-2||4-M||?||?

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My Schick's info:
- black plastic knob, with "Schick" inside a triangle
- both doors say "Schick", underlined
- baseplate : SCHICK - MADE IN U.S.A.
- Codes: top= 1-2 ; bottom= 4-M

4-8 / 3M and 4-9 / 3M. Otherwise identical.

End of handle has the Schick in a triangle. Schick on one door, Krona on the other. Scrubbing bubbles on the one with hard water spots made a green spotting on it. Feh. That was the one on the right.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 189
Hi. I've been reading about the Schick Krona and wondering if I should try it. I have tried many Super Speeds including English Red Tip (Super Speed, not rocket) and just do not care for the shave they provide. I love the machines, though. Gillette TTOs are built amazingly well and are excellent tools for those that like them. I have a hard time getting a good shave from them, though. I have largely divested myself of Gillette TTOs, but I still really love the TTO idea. I ahve also tried a Cadet TTO and didn't enjoy that either. So now on to try a Krona. I've been looking on the bay, but the prices seem to be driven up. I currently have a 1946 Gillette Milord (gold Super Speed) with un-notched center bar on BST. I would consider trading it for a good example of Schick Krona. I just really want to find a TTO I like. Seems like Krona may be a candidate.

You should be able to find one easy on BST or on e-Bay.

I'm unable to take pics at the moment, so I'll describe mine for now.
Black knob with SCHICK triangle
Code= 2-3/1-M
Stampings=SCHICK MADE IN USA / PATENTS PENDING
Doors= 1 SCHICK, 1 SCHICK with circle R mark

My Kronas.

#1-$10 craigslist find.
Knob- metallic longer version, triangle logo
Doors- brushed metal no stamps
Baseplate- triangle logo on left,made in USA on right(stacked)
Code- top row 4-2 bottom row 6-M
"A" under center bar which is 2ply
Weight-?
Razor case- white base with green insert,clear top
Schick in raisied letters on top lower right corner
bottom of case-
pat pending, Schick safety razor company,division of eversharp,inc
milford, conn. copyright 1965-all stacked
number 13 is also on bottom upper right corner
blade dispenser-
Schick, Super Krona comfort edge, 2 super stainless steel-all printed on front
Pat 3,203,829 used blades Schick super stainless steel
super krona comfort edge, schick safety razorco.milford, conn
Reg US pat.off
marcas registradas-all printed on back.
Came with two blades, tossed them, have no idea what was written on them.
Instruction sheet-same as one posted by shavinbacon earlier in thread

#2-bought off Ebay to back up#1
Knob- metallic shorter version traingle logo
Doors- brushed metal no stamps
Baseplate- triangle logo on left , made in USA on right (stacked)
Code- top row 1-4, bottom row M-5
This krona you have to "flip' around to read codes VS logo and made in USA
No "A" under center bar which again is 2ply.
No case, or anything else.

Top Bottom