What's new

Schick Krona- Best shave ever

I have both varieties of the Krona. I absolutely love them both. I have never gotten a bad shave with either razor. I love using them with Personna Med, SuperMax Titanium, Feather, and Personna Lab blades. I'm contemplating buying a third because why not?!

I am also a Krona fan. In general I tend to prefer milder razors and the Krona is definitely in that wheelhouse. I also like the milder Gillette razors, which it sounds like you haven't yet tried. Gillette's milder, more "Krona-like" razors, specifically the venerable Tech and Super Speed, are very worthy of your consideration. The Super Speeds, whether the 40s, Flare Tip or Black Handle, are all mild but efficient shavers that you may find work well for you. Ditto for the Tech. I prefer the older versions of the Tech, either the "pre-war" (actually made from 1938 to 1945) fat handles or the 1950s ball ends. Both Super Speeds and Techs are readily found and can often be had fairly inexpensively. You should check them out. In the meantime, enjoy your Krona.

I prefer mild razors too. And I agree with you about the super speed and tech razors. I have a krona and I like it but I like my tech and super speeds a bit more.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love Schick Krona’s. Fantastic razors IMHO. I am using one this week and so far getting great shaves. Milder razors are better for me. I much prefer them and with a Feather the shaves are almost BBS.

I am also a Krona fan. In general I tend to prefer milder razors and the Krona is definitely in that wheelhouse. I also like the milder Gillette razors, which it sounds like you haven't yet tried. Gillette's milder, more "Krona-like" razors, specifically the venerable Tech and Super Speed, are very worthy of your consideration. The Super Speeds, whether the 40s, Flare Tip or Black Handle, are all mild but efficient shavers that you may find work well for you. Ditto for the Tech. I prefer the older versions of the Tech, either the "pre-war" (actually made from 1938 to 1945) fat handles or the 1950s ball ends. Both Super Speeds and Techs are readily found and can often be had fairly inexpensively. You should check them out. In the meantime, enjoy your Krona.

I've been curious about the Tech's. I'll have to give one a try sometime.

Yes an unsung razor. I noticed you did not have a Super Speed on your list. I think you would find the Super Speed shave very similar to your Krona.

Fantastic razor.
When I used cartridges I was a Schick fanboy so it makes sense that I would like the Schick DE razors too.

Back when I first began shaving, I saw the Gillette TV ads during weekend TV football games. Told Mom I wanted: "One of Those!", so she brought home a Gillette Knack, and a can of Barbasol. I used it for years, packed it away, then found it about a dozen years ago. Still had some of the older, thicker Wilkinson Swords, but wasn't impressed with the shave, so I gave it all away.
Later I got a Schick Krona that I used for years. Began collecting & amassing about 5 more Kronas, and later on, the usual varieties of Gillette Vintage razors.
The Krona is in the rotation, and gets used just often enough to remind me how well it shaves. I just finished my Krona shaves last week, and now have an old ratty Old Type that I nickeled a piece of brass tubing to replace the badly cracked & unrepairable handle. Just re-nickeled the top cap, so it matches the bottom plate - looks and shaves like new & the shave is comparable to the Krona.
Tonite I finished up assembling a pre-war Tech with bakelite handle. The top cap was stripped down to red brass, and was corroded, and the bottom plate had bad fleabites and pits, so I smoothed it a little, then nickeled it, too. Looks great, and I suspect it will shave just like a regular Tech. It may well become a part of my razor rotation. It was just old, neglected junk that someone didn't care enough about to keep clean and uncorroded, but now it has the dignity restored that it hasn't had in maybe several decades.
I have several pristine examples of razors from the 20's to the 50's, but the old dogs with their gouges & scrapes that rehab to almost new-looking are increasingly among my favorites. They shave close and smooth, almost as though they remember how to do it, now they've been shined up and called back into service.

Had my first shave with this krona yesterday. So easy to use from the outset. No problems at all. Finding the proper angle was very intuitive. The long handle was a pleasure to use as well. This is a special razor as it belonged to my wife’s grandfather Mo. My mother in law gave it to me about a month ago and I finally got around to using it. He also had a bunch of straight razors but I haven’t really gotten into that. His other daughter (my wife’s aunt) framed all the straight razor stuff and has it on display at her home in Sarasota. Here’s a pic for you. Have a great weekend everyone!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Nice gold Krona!

I have two metal TTO Kronas. I loved the first one so much I bought another.
I use 7 o’clock blacks, and Astras mainly but find any blade works well in them.

I have one on the way, can't wait to try it. I've used Gillette razors pretty much exclusively over the years, not sure why it's taken me this long to get the urge. Nice and very rare Gold Krona btw.

They are excellent razors! I shaved with one for half a century! If you’re interested in accumulating Kronas there is also the gray Eversharp model. I have a gold Krona as well. They are excellent razors!

I had one with the chrome tip I got new a long time ago. I think it was given away free with a pack of Schick blades (that was a thing back in the day). Wish I still had it.

8DA1AB8F-B6BE-4815-9966-BF133E4399F9.jpeg

Four different varieties of Krona above. My gold Krona (1976)on the left with the Gray Eversharp(late 60’s) to the immediate right. Then we have a late a NOS Krona (late 70’s) followed by one of my daily drivers. Decided to shave with the gold Krona this AM.
F26E4572-5EC7-456D-87FA-180912789ECF.jpeg

Thanks guys - I've just dug mine out and it's on deck for tomorrow morning. I know exactly what to expect - a mild, but bbs shave with zero irritation.

Not all Schick DE razors are Krona razors. The ones made prior to 1968 were never called Krona razors by Eversharp. It maybe a bit pedantic but the earlier Schick DE razors are different shavers from the later model ones. With that said the earlier non Krona Schick DE razors tend to be less mild than the 1968 and up Schick Krona DE razors. It is not a major difference but it is an appreciable one especially if you use a very sharp blade with the razor.

As others have said these are good shavers but the caveat is only if you already do well using milder razors. If you do then the Schick DE razors Krona or otherwise are well worth the time to invest in buying one to try.

Top Bottom