What's new

Schick Krona- Best shave ever

I started wet shaving about two months ago. I have had the succession of Gillette safety razors, everything from a 1906 Single Ring to a 1958 Fatboy, 1965 Slim, 1973 Super Adjustable, 1955 Red Tip, and lastly a 1930s NEW short comb. But last week I went on eBay, and decided to bid on a Schick Krona. Ended up winning it, and I just received it last night. Had the first shave this morning, and I have to say, it's the best shave I've ever had. The biggest problem I had with the Gillettes, although they all provided a close shave, was irritation and nicks. The only one that actually has been good in my face was the Slim, on a 2. Moral of the story: the Krona is a vastly underrated razor. Highly recommended!!
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They ARE good and have tons of fans.

Search this forum's threads and you'll see; Krona is crowned king!

AA (see, it's a play on words: "krona" means crown ... :letterk1:)

They ARE good and have tons of fans.

Search this forum's threads and you'll see; Krona is crowned king!

That's actually what led me to bid on the Krona. I was reading through on people talking about it, and how good it was. Made me curious. And for how cheap they go for, I figured what the heck. saw them as low as $9 buy it now, but got mine all in for $23.

I love mine. I have two. One with a metal TTO knob and one plastic. They both shave great, but I prefer the metal knobbed version like yours. Glad you found a Krona so early in your wet shaving career! ;-) Its a bit of an "off the radar" razor, even more so for newbies (no offense). Off to a a great start! I like the ones that have Schick on one silo door and Krona on the other. You aced it!

My Schick Krona had a bit of muted feedback but it shaved great. I have to go back to it to test it out with different blades.

What blades did you use?
I used Astra SP. It's one blade that works well with any razor. Looking back at my SOTD, I did note that the light weight seemed to be a slight inconvenience for me in terms of stability. I'll have to try it again soon.

I used Astra SP. It's one blade that works well with any razor. Looking back at my SOTD, I did note that the light weight seemed to be a slight inconvenience for me in terms of stability. I'll have to try it again soon.

It is lighter than many, and has a different head geometry than Gillette, so you just have to get used to it. Doesn't take long, but it is definitely a little different.

I love mine. I have two. One with a metal TTO knob and one plastic. They both shave great, but I prefer the metal knobbed version like yours. Glad you found a Krona so early in your wet shaving career! ;-) Its a bit of an "off the radar" razor, even more so for newbies (no offense). Off to a a great start! I like the ones that have Schick on one silo door and Krona on the other. You aced it!

Funny enough, you hit on exactly why I bought it. The metal knob, and that it spells out "Schick Krona" on the doors. I thought it was kinda a neat touch. It was the only one like that on eBay when I was looking.

Funny enough, you hit on exactly why I bought it. The metal knob, and that it spells out "Schick Krona" on the doors. I thought it was kinda a neat touch. It was the only one like that on eBay when I was looking.
I thought mine spelled out the words but it only has "Schick" on both doors. A little disappointing but oh well.. haha

I thought mine spelled out the words but it only has "Schick" on both doors. A little disappointing but oh well.. haha
I have one with a grey handle and black plastic knob -- I read elsewhere in a thread that they have several combinations of doors, handles, and knobs. I suppose that in some cases they were assembled with whatever parts were left over from a previous model.

I have two, both with the metal knobs, one gold and one nickel. Both have plain doors, which I think makes them earlier models, and technically not Kronas, just Schick DEs. The golden one could be a bicentennial model but I have no way of knowing.

I am also a Krona fan. In general I tend to prefer milder razors and the Krona is definitely in that wheelhouse. I also like the milder Gillette razors, which it sounds like you haven't yet tried. Gillette's milder, more "Krona-like" razors, specifically the venerable Tech and Super Speed, are very worthy of your consideration. The Super Speeds, whether the 40s, Flare Tip or Black Handle, are all mild but efficient shavers that you may find work well for you. Ditto for the Tech. I prefer the older versions of the Tech, either the "pre-war" (actually made from 1938 to 1945) fat handles or the 1950s ball ends. Both Super Speeds and Techs are readily found and can often be had fairly inexpensively. You should check them out. In the meantime, enjoy your Krona.

Top Bottom