What's new

Schick Injectors

I have both an early, opening E2 and a G4. They both are nice razors, but in my experience the G4 gives me a superior shave to the E2. I too prefer a milder razor with a sharp blade. If I use the E I must be very, very careful. The G just feels better. But my preferred combo is either an Schick N or eBarbershop O clone with a Japanese Schick Injector II twin blade. The head appears to be identical, but the N just feel nicer in my hand.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm sure it isn't concrete, but my old face notices a difference between the G and E type Schicks, with the former being less aggressive. I like more aggressive, the Type O doesn't cut it, in fact beyond G don't feed the bulldog, except an M wide open. But that's just me, a Schick shaver since the sixties

Respectfully, the E and G heads are not the same. Neither are the blade exposures. And the E definitely is more aggressive and effective, I'd guess by maybe 10%.

I have 3 E's and I have 3 G's. The differences in the heads are subtle, almost unperceivable, but they are there.
What is the blade gap between the E and G what makes it 10% more aggressive?

brother Maui,

You'll have to measure it for us. I don't have the tools that are refined enough.

Also blade gap is only one factor among 5 or 6 considerations that affects aggressiveness of a razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just bought a Type I. Any suggestions on blades?

I believe maybe Joel @Johnnynroy uses that razor a good bit. You might want to search for posts by him, or maybe he will see this post.

Can the Type I use the TWIN blade? That is the question. If so, use the TWIN. In my experience the TWIN is worth the money and hassle. The blades are great, and they last (almost literally) forever. But, the TWIN won't fit in all the razors. I use the TWIN in my L-3, Type Ms, Type O, and Type O clone, but I don't have a Type I.

Wenghe.New.E-2.WK.Kit.640.4-18.JPG

That's the L-3 (above).

In my Type E the Schick Chick works about as well as an blade could work in any razor I think. It's not like blades that can take the TWIN have to be used with the TWIN. The Schick Chick is easy to find, inexpensive, and very good.

Plenty of guys like the Proline B, but they must be hand loaded into an empty injector. I've not used the Proline B, but I use the longer and otherwise not different Proline P in my AC razors. Prolines are very good blades, too.

As you know, blades are the ultimate in YMMV. The blade you use has to suit you and not me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use the Schick Chick in my I2 with great satisfaction.

The I can't use the twin blades, you need a J onwards.

My understanding is that you can use twin blades in a non-Hydromagic Type I as well.

I believe I've read that, too, but I think Joel has them and uses them, although I won't swear to it. I'll defer to the opinion of someone who has used them and not damaged the razor.

Thanks for all the advice. If I like my Type I (using Schick Chick or Proline blades) Ill purchase a Type L and try the twin blades too.

brother Maui,

You'll have to measure it for us. I don't have the tools that are refined enough.

Also blade gap is only one factor among 5 or 6 considerations that affects aggressiveness of a razor.
You know, I have done just that using feeler gauges, measurements using calipers and dissembling the razors down to the five individual elements that make-up the razors and I can't find any difference, I can even interchange the E and G parts.
Now that doesn't mean I'm right or wrong but even my online research has shown no differences and I would tend to think Schick would have done some sort of marketing/branding like they did with some of the early models. The E's were called the 'Deluxe Model' with traditional head like the type D (head form) Now the basic E's.... E1-E5 E1 DeLuxe E3 Popularity Kit Model had (excluding E3 Imperial Model) variations but that was based on handle & head finish, head form was used up to 1954.(online research) I can't find anything that shows changes to the 'head form' (not talking about the change in spring design) in the 10 year run.

Now for the G's they also had the traditional head like the E's (online research) the guard had parallel grooves unlike the irregular striations for the E's
G-1- G-8 1946-1955 so that tells me more or less the 'head form' was the same, I don't see Schick going to that extent re-tooling just squeeze 10%. I've had a lot of the injectors go thru my hands and often with people the placebo effect is involved but like I said above I could be total wrong however I can't find it.

You know, I have done just that using feeler gauges, measurements using calipers and dissembling the razors down to the five individual elements that make-up the razors and I can't find any difference, I can even interchange the E and G parts.
Now that doesn't mean I'm right or wrong but even my online research has shown no differences and I would tend to think Schick would have done some sort of marketing/branding like they did with some of the early models. The E's were called the 'Deluxe Model' with traditional head like the type D (head form) Now the basic E's.... E1-E5 E1 DeLuxe E3 Popularity Kit Model had (excluding E3 Imperial Model) variations but that was based on handle & head finish, head form was used up to 1954.(online research) I can't find anything that shows changes to the 'head form' (not talking about the change in spring design) in the 10 year run.

Now for the G's they also had the traditional head like the E's (online research) the guard had parallel grooves unlike the irregular striations for the E's
G-1- G-8 1946-1955 so that tells me more or less the 'head form' was the same, I don't see Schick going to that extent re-tooling just squeeze 10%. I've had a lot of the injectors go thru my hands and often with people the placebo effect is involved but like I said above I could be total wrong however I can't find it.

Brother Maui,
You seem to be knowledgeable about Schick Injectors. Which Type is your favorite? And why?

Probably mine is the Type I (non hydro-magic feature) with a twin blade, or the Type O clone with a twin blade. I also like the Pal Adjustable.

I had an excellent close shave this morning with the early Type E that opens to clean, but with my thin old skin I got several cuts, in spite of using great care.

My whiskers are coarse and my facial skin is thin. That's a very challenging combination! Any ideas?

Regards.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Brother Maui,
You seem to be knowledgeable about Schick Injectors. Which Type is your favorite? And why?

Probably mine is the Type I (non hydro-magic feature) with a twin blade, or the Type O clone with a twin blade. I also like the Pal Adjustable.

I had an excellent close shave this morning with the early Type E that opens to clean, but with my thin old skin I got several cuts, in spite of using great care.

My whiskers are coarse and my facial skin is thin. That's a very challenging combination! Any ideas?

Regards.

I'm not Maui, but I throw my open to clean Type E-2 around with reckless abandon. I'm convinced some Type E razors are better than others. Mine is very much not prone to biting me.

Oh, I have old skin, too.

The E-2 is my very favorite safety razor (and I have a lot of razors), but the Type L-3 is a very close runner up with its TWIN blade and incredibly great handle (funny looking maybe, but very functional). Mostly I'm a straight razor shaver for now, but my best injectors will never go anywhere if I can help it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm not Maui, but I throw my open to clean Type E-2 around with reckless abandon. I'm convinced some Type E razors are better than others. Mine is very much not prone to biting me.

Oh, I have old skin, too.

The E-2 is my very favorite safety razor (and I have a lot of razors), but the Type L-3 is a very close runner up with its TWIN blade and incredibly great handle (funny looking maybe, but very functional). Mostly I'm a straight razor shaver for now, but my best injectors will never go anywhere if I can help it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Brother Chan,

Ah, the L-3 "The Grip" with the "tennis racquet handle" and loaded with a Schick twin blade. That razor too is a favorite of mine. It dates from a short manufacturing run in 1973, and has a connection with the famous tennis match that year between Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs.

I would not be surprised if there is variation among the surviving Schick Type E injectors. They are roughly 80 years old (!) and have had perhaps a dozen (or more) owners who have given them varying degrees of care and maintenance over many decades.

BTW I have a Canadian Schick Injector that is patented 1937. I have considered it to be a Type E. But it has a seam on the non-Bakelite handle, so it might be a Type G? It's been a long time since I used it, but I believe it shaves like a Type G. How do you classify it?

I stand corrected then, it seems that the I1 can use twin blades. I hadn't considered the I series without the hydro-magic feature.

Brother Maui,

Regards.
"Which Type is your favorite? And why?" That's really a hard call to pinpoint one type. D, E, F, G and I would be my Favorite ones, In my view they are one of the easiest and most forgiving vintage SE's and give a great shave. I have not had the chance to try the clone so that is on my list of lists. I really feel what improves the performance of any of the injectors is the blade, my go-2 are the Schick Proline B-20 and the Schick Plus Platinum.

New to injectors. Have used the Eversharp 1st with a Personna blade....good shaves a bit irritating. Changed to a Chick yesterday and smoother. Then got the Adjustable, tried at #5= not very close shave....I have gone up to #8 and still not as close as the Eversharp. I have another, haven't tried it: Schick. Any information on these and suggestions are appreciated. I do like a somewhat efficient shave , I do shave face and head (haven't tried on the head so far) . On the head I use DE usually open combs w a sharp blade. Injectors I have are Chick and Personna.
IMG_1047.jpg

Top Bottom