What's new

Schick Injectors

2 patent numbers so a G. E4 and E5 didn't have the side flaps either.

But, it looks like someone forced the spring open - I don't see the little tab locking it in place and it looks a little warped.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Are we hijacking a G thread with E talk? If so, apologies, but hopefully injector enthusiasts are interested in the fabulous E-2.

E-2.Bottom.Nice.640.$-18JPG.JPG

I spent a lot of time trying to find on eBay an open to clean E-2. I don't know how hard they are to find but I know how hard it is to identify one on eBay that you know for sure is an open to clean version of the E-2 (not all E-2 razors open to clean according to what I've read and been told).

E-2.BladeExposure.640.4-18.JPG

This shows the blade exposure pretty well on mine.

E-2.Head.640.5-18.JPG

Anyway, the whole time I was looking for one I already had an open to clean. I just didn't know yet that it would open. Now I'm better at spotting them because I have one to compare with the photos. Unfortunately, vendors usually do not show great detail on the parts of the injectors making identification very easy which is why we sometimes can't tell an E from a G much less which E the E is or which G the G is.

E-2.PatentNumber.640.4-18.JPG

This shows several E-2 identification features including the single patent number.

To make it all worse, the "Types" are really an artificial add on classification system imposed in recent times to help us sort out the various injectors. As helpful as the system is, Schick didn't use it. Apparently there are a number of subdivisions within the Type E razors. Mine is not only an open to clean razor but it is also a very, very good shaving E-2 (not all of them are), and not prone to biting me, and also an E-2 which lends itself to steep and design angle shaving.

Do I like my Schick Type E-2? Yes, I do. Here's why, link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I own 3 Canadian E2 injectors and one damaged rare Canadian E5 that shaves very aggressive. The E5 after close observation the blade keepers was lifting the blade slightly after decades of use(Other words the blade cut a groove into the keepers and the blade was not laying flat on the base plate & became more aggressive.)
The 70>yrs E5 was beloved by it's previous owners by just the wear and tear of thousands of shaves is my best guess.
The E2(mid aggressive) is such a easy razor to use and will give one the best shaves of any single edge and the new (S"chick") blades seem to last up to 8-10> shaves and are smooth and sharp IMO. Personna makes injector blades(20 per container) also and are used by many with good results also. I have Sunday shaves with the E2 if I'm not testing other razors and there are not many other razors that can even come close to the great results Schick razors can give IMO. If you come across a E2 at a reasonable price buy it and enjoy, check to make sure the blade sits flat on base plate and you should have excellent shaves.
View attachment 952626
A couple of E2 injectors I cleaned up that were in rough shape with original razor boxes from a small antique store I purchased in the summer of 2018. They shave like the day they were bought that is how well they are mfg.

Thank you for the input @Ron R . I have a schick injector now. I just need to look through the info on them when I have time and figure out which one. Also I'm waiting on blades in the mail.
The Original poster @Mark Thompson and I where hoping someone with one of the customized North Shore razors would chime in.

Is there any concrete evidence that Canadian E Model injectors shave more aggressively than USA made E Models other than anecdotal speculation? I have a USA E2 Model and that while beautiful and in mint condition, it shave exactly like my USA G1 Model. I have compared the heads and they are exactly the same. No gap nor exposure difference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is there any concrete evidence that Canadian E Model injectors shave more aggressively than USA made E Models other than anecdotal speculation? I have a USA E2 Model and that while beautiful and in mint condition, it shave exactly like my USA G1 Model. I have compared the heads and they are exactly the same. No gap nor exposure difference.
There are small changes in all the Canadian E models with different safety bars to the E5 having no wings on the spring but that is the only model that was made with a black handle from my understanding and is a rare one. Also the black E5 was assembled from left over parts from other E's and some how created a little more aggressive E model from placing different yearly parts together from my limit research. The safety bars with parallel grooves are placed as E3 models and yet the spring keepers of some models are different. Are Canadian E models more aggressive than American E model's I doubt that other than the rare E5 because it was a Hybrid of different parts and could of made it more aggressive. My E5 was very aggressive at first to the point of not wanting to use it until I examined it and found that over years of use the blade keepers wore a upward groove and was lifting the blade from the base plate a little because I could see light under the blade.
As for the G series of Schicks I have none and they do look identical but lots of Schick users in the USA say the E series are a little more aggressive than G models. Schick Injector Razors
Schicks E2,3.5 (2).jpg
Schicks E2,3,5 #1 (2).jpg

The rare E5 is the black handled one, that one was used by it's beloved previous owner a lot because of the wear I noticed all over it.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to poo in anyone Cheerios but the head form was used up to 1954 variations based on handle & head finish ie the textured head color of handle for reference. So E and G head forms are the same other than the spring design parallel grooving on the guards seams in the handles and a very slight difference in the handle from the early E's they shave the same.

I'm not trying to poo in anyone Cheerios but the head form was used up to 1954 variations based on handle & head finish ie the textured head color of handle for reference. So E and G head forms are the same other than the spring design parallel grooving on the guards seams in the handles and a very slight difference in the handle from the early E's they shave the same.

I would tend to agree. I find the whole aggressive argument anecdotal or YMMV.

My first Type E was bent coming out of the Bakelite handle. It was bent back, as if the case lid had flattened it a bit. It didn’t shave well. I searched eBay for photos and found the correct 90 degree angle the razor was designed to be. This produced an easy and effective fix for that first one. The opening E I found later was correct as received.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
...the head form was used up to 1954 variations based on handle & head finish ie the textured head color of handle for reference. So E and G head forms are the same other than the spring design parallel grooving on the guards seams in the handles and a very slight difference in the handle from the early E's they shave the same.

I have no idea if this is correct or incorrect, but I have not reason to think I know much about it. I know various razors shave differently. My suspicion is there are variations in the razors which might be from manufacturing differences and might be from the ravishes of time.

I'm not arguing the point but just pointing out that, for whatever reason, your open to clean Type E-2 might not shave as well as my open to clean Type E-2 even though they look much or entirely the same.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I would tend to agree. I find the whole aggressive argument anecdotal or YMMV.
Agree, for the type E the patent number remained the same from 1935-45 Patent: 1806087 at some point between
1946-1955 the number changed Patents: 1806807 and 1969945 but keep in mind by then 1946 it was Type G
Eversharp-Schick Injector Razor and no longer Magazine Repeating Razor Co. but in my dealing with type E and G the 'head form' is the same other then what I indicated in my OP above.

Respectfully, the E and G heads are not the same. Neither are the blade exposures. And the E definitely is more aggressive and effective, I'd guess by maybe 10%.

I have 3 E's and I have 3 G's. The differences in the heads are subtle, almost unperceivable, but they are there.

Last edited:
Respectfully, the E and G heads are not the same. Neither are the blade exposures. And the E definitely is more aggressive and effective, I'd guess by maybe 10%.

I have 3 E's and I have 3 G's. The differences in the heads are subtle, almost unperceivable, but they are there.

What concrete evidence do you have of this?

What concrete evidence do you have of this?

Brother Bogeyman,

Not sure what you mean by "concrete evidence."

I would cite my face after comparison shaving with a G and an E, I have 3 of each, and I would cite my eyesight when carefully comparing the razor heads.

I also would present my long-term experience of shaving with Schick Injectors off and on since, um, 1958.

Last month I shaved with a mint condition G (turquoise handle). A little mild but ok. This week I'm shaving with an E, also in excellent condition. (I think it's an E2: Bakelite. No seam. Does not open. Tabs on side of spring.) Wow. That razor almost is lethal. I've been lucky so far. But it does require keen concentration, no sloppy moves, and very light pressure on my thin 82 year old skin. The E definitely is not a G, and again I have 3 of each. I use Chick blades.

I also would cite the general consensus on the shaving forums that the E and the G do perform differently, and do not share the same degree of aggression/effectiveness/harshness.

That all the evidence I have at the moment.

Brother Bogeyman,

Not sure what you mean by "concrete evidence."

I would cite my face after comparison shaving with a G and an E, I have 3 of each, and I would cite my eyesight when carefully comparing the razor heads.

I also would present my long-term experience of shaving with Schick Injectors off and on since, um, 1958.

Last month I shaved with a mint condition G (turquoise handle). A little mild but ok. This week I'm shaving with an E, also in excellent condition. (I think it's an E2: Bakelite. No seam. Does not open. Tabs on side of spring.) Wow. That razor almost is lethal. I've been lucky so far. But it does require keen concentration, no sloppy moves, and very light pressure on my thin 82 year old skin. The E definitely is not a G, and again I have 3 of each. I use Chick blades.

I also would cite the general consensus on the shaving forums that the E and the G do perform differently, and do not share the same degree of aggression/effectiveness/harshness.

That all the evidence I have at the moment.

I'd have to agree with @santamariasteve although my skin is only 73 years old. I can subjectively tell the difference between Es and Gs--and I have been shaving with injectors for most of my life. Personally, I prefer the Gs because I like a relatively mild razor. however, my favorite is the Type O (or O clone from eBarbershop) with the new Japanese Schick II twin blades. They are both mild and comfortable, but also very efficient. What more could you ask for in a shave?

I don't have a Type G, so I cannot definitively say it is more or less than the E Type. Both look the same and I suspect shave the same or similar. However, in general, we sometimes use our experiences to say this or that about a razors performance. I will make this generalization and admit I am not a very sophisticated shavers, 99 percent of the information I have read as fact is not validated by my experiences. A razor that is supposed to be aggressive is no different than one that is supposed to be mild.

All I can go on here per my personal experiences is the solitary E2 I have as well as my G1 and a friend's G1, all U.S. made. They are all alike and shave as such with the only difference being the E2 method of opening.

What I mean by concrete is some sort of objective scientific measurement showing the blade gap/exposure being different or even the head shape/angle being different.

Top Bottom