What's new

Schick injectors. What's your experiences, good or bad.

Hi,
im waiting for the delivery of a Schick Golden 500 injector. Bought it on the Bay, it looks in really good nick! I've never used an injector style before so really keen to give it a go. The razor itself is a thing of beauty IMO, but does it perform?
whats your thoughts?

I have a gold hydro-magic and it a wonderful razor. I get about 8-10 smooth and easy shaves from the blade. I'm currently in a renewed love affair with it.

Your Golden 500 is a superb razor. I have the 500 J4 (Nickel finish) and it is excellent. I am testing it with a Personna 74 blade, and I currently have 34 shaves on that blade in that razor, and it is still going strong. All of the shaves have been high-end DFS or BBS with no nicks weepers or irritation. Schick injectors are the best razors ever. You are really going to enjoy yours.

Your Golden 500 is a superb razor. I have the 500 J4 (Nickel finish) and it is excellent. I am testing it with a Personna 74 blade, and I currently have 34 shaves on that blade in that razor, and it is still going strong. All of the shaves have been high-end DFS or BBS with no nicks weepers or irritation. Schick injectors are the best razors ever. You are really going to enjoy yours.
34 shaves from one blade is just incredible!! I'm glad actually, because I've noticed that injector blades seem to be more expensive than regular DE blades?!

Personna 74's are special. I personally find that Schick or current personna blades last me about 4 times as long as DE blades.

The golden 500 is the only razor I have ever felt the need to buy a backup for.

I use a Schick injector, older model; a "G" I think.

I purchased some Chinese blades that I have been using, and have some other ones being shipped from Connaught Shaving in the UK.

They are very easy to use, and give great shaves. They are for shaving your head. A very close shave can be gotten from using one.

I use a Schick injector, older model; a "G" I think.

I purchased some Chinese blades that I have been using,...
+1. I also have a J. Very pretty, but not quite as good a shaver as the G.

BTW, how does one identify Personna 74's v. other vintage Personna blades?

+1. I also have a J. Very pretty, but not quite as good a shaver as the G.

BTW, how does one identify Personna 74's v. other vintage Personna blades?

The box they came in is red and says "Personna 74*" and the injector also says "Personna 74*", and both have the words "Tungsten Steel." The asterisk is a part of the name, but is usually left off when referencing them. They are probably the finest, rarest, and most expensive injector blades ever made (except, maybe, for Feather injector blades). They last for an incredible number of shaves.

However, the Chinese Schick blades are also very good. I have gotten 25 excellent shaves with them, which brings their per-shave cost down comparable to a decent DE blade (but some of the low-end DE blades can be cheaper).

Last edited:
I just started with injectors this week, and have had 5 close, easy shaves, maybe some minimal irritation from the G, but I guess that is from the poor lather I had that day, but something I will be concious of and see if it continues. No irritation from the "I" I have, and the PAL was equally smooth. All have been loaded with what I have learned are "Chicks" the chinese made schick blades that I purchased along with the razor. Make sure you read how to load a razor that doesnt have the "dummy" or other blade already in it, I read that it can damage the blade if you try to inject in empty.

My first "wet shave" (before I even heard of that term) was with a Type L...was my "go to" razor for years, then a Type M (adjustable). Now, after a shamefully-long dalliance with the Mach3, I am now using a recently-acquired Type I2 (Hydro-magic)...the razor is almost 60 years young and very nifty!

Loving it and getting better every shave. Very happy to be back in InjectorLand!

Top Bottom