What's new

Schick injectors - A comprehensive guide

Following what @BBS-1 did with his series "for dummies2 I'm leaning to differentiate the various versions (v.1, v.2, v.3) by the slight differences of the heads (markings, springs, ferrules, guards) rather than by the color of the handles.
The Turquoise (supposedly marketing for women) and the "66" are somehow special editions and their nomenclature as G5 and G4 is too well established in the shaving community to be changed. As far as the blue handle with the regular gold-plated head (the chrome "66" is rather the exception) maybe it should be cataloged among the various G1 versions depending on the slight differences between v.1, v.2 and v3.

Basically I would stick with Blue handle G1 or, too be picky meticulous, Blue Handle G1 v.2
View attachment 1170916
Thanks. I have it down now as a G1v2.

Is this a E2 butterscotch? Can this one be opened? How?
EE0CD5E1-905F-4A62-8A41-7058C1C9832F.jpeg

DE107CD2-12B3-40EC-B780-C04C92B49805.jpeg

I’m having a identity crisis. The first photo shows my four E/G injectors. The one on the left is easy: it’s a G4 ‘66’. The other three have me confused. They all have a Bakelite handle. The second from the left has a textured finish like the ‘66’, but has a different spring than the others. I don’t know I’d this is actually able to open, but doesn’t have the center retention tab.

The two on the right both have polished heads but have different embossed patterns on the heads. One is raised like the other two, the the last one is flat and grooved.

I’ve kind of mixed them up. One of them came with a Navy case from WW2 but now I don’t know which one.

So Schlick Sleuths, what are your opinions?

Attachments

• 308EC34F-5F30-4677-9044-EB52EE0B7E99.jpeg
    308EC34F-5F30-4677-9044-EB52EE0B7E99.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 38421C3C-A825-46EA-8E9D-DC786C468A69.jpeg
    38421C3C-A825-46EA-8E9D-DC786C468A69.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 690C2AF4-D0D0-4A6E-B6BF-6A6C339933C8.jpeg
    690C2AF4-D0D0-4A6E-B6BF-6A6C339933C8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I’m having a identity crisis. The first photo shows my four E/G injectors. The one on the left is easy: it’s a G4 ‘66’. The other three have me confused. They all have a Bakelite handle. The second from the left has a textured finish like the ‘66’, but has a different spring than the others. I don’t know I’d this is actually able to open, but doesn’t have the center retention tab.

The two on the right both have polished heads but have different embossed patterns on the heads. One is raised like the other two, the the last one is flat and grooved.

I’ve kind of mixed them up. One of them came with a Navy case from WW2 but now I don’t know which one.

So Schlick Sleuths, what are your opinions?
Blue handle was issued for the Navy from my understanding.
Your E2 that has no center keeper but is held in place by the two side keepers & it can persuaded over the side keeper IMO, I have one similar and when I did get it over I took a fine file and filed a fine bevel to the center slider so glances better over the keeper easier.
All I do is Grab the main head and with my stronger hand fingers is pinch the butterfly ears and lift up(small screw driver with electric tape on end to pry up so not to scratch) and to the side and it swivels nicely for cleaning or manually installing the blade.
Schick engineers had a lot of fun making so many different variations keeper types for the E types.

Schick E2- pic 2 closed swivel arm..jpg
Schick E2- pic 1 open center swivel arm..jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Last edited:

Ron R

Sunday Schick Shave, July 4th 2021, Happy Independence Day. Well I have tinkered with the Kai Protouch with my Schick M3 adjustable a few months ago with a spent Protouch(8 shaves) and it was a good shave even then. Well Yesterday had my first shave with a AC 50mm Kai Protouch(3) in my Yaqi 50mm Excalibur a couple of days ago(Friday) and was very impressed so I altered that blade for my Canadian variant G1 Hybrid(make sure to stone any burrs from cutting blade). Well the results were very impressive with a much sharper blade then with the previous experiment. I even applied a little pressure that is a no no usually, but with my experience level good with my Schick injectors I knew there was hardly a chance of a nick with the way it felt + was performing well. Thought I would share this little experiment that worked so well, one of my smoothest BBs shaves with my Schick Canadian G1 variant. Another blade alternative for some Schick:001_wub: injector owner's who like to tinker a little?
Razor: Schick Canadian variant G1 Hybrid- Mfg 1940's-50s NDCodes, excellent light weight mid range, very enjoyable razor.
Blade: Kai Protouch altered (4) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Favorite blade in the 50mm so far.
Soap: Tabac, nice mild flowery clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot with black marble handle :001_wub:, excellent lather generator with cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my Schick injector G1 Canadian variant with a altered Kai Protouch blade.

Schick collage with a altered Kai Protouch.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Looking for some experiences from those of you who have some Schicks. In January I received a very nice Type G with the cream handle. And recently I bought an amber handle Type G on a BST. I think the amber shaves a bit more aggressively, whereas the cream handle is butter smooth. I have only done one blade in the amber version, so it could be the blade. Anyone have a thought on this, have you noticed differences within the Type? Given that they are 60+ years old, more than a blade could be the case. Just curious, nothing that will prevent me from enjoying the amber handle!

I haven't noticed a difference, but then I wouldn't! I have reached a point where I can't tell much difference since they all deliver irritation free shaves with no cuts, at least for me. I wish I could be of more help, but there it is.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I haven't noticed a difference within a certain type, but then I've not the most sensitive hide. The only way to pin it down would be to swap the blades between the two of them.

Looking for some experiences from those of you who have some Schicks. In January I received a very nice Type G with the cream handle. And recently I bought an amber handle Type G on a BST. I think the amber shaves a bit more aggressively, whereas the cream handle is butter smooth. I have only done one blade in the amber version, so it could be the blade. Anyone have a thought on this, have you noticed differences within the Type? Given that they are 60+ years old, more than a blade could be the case. Just curious, nothing that will prevent me from enjoying the amber handle!

I have a bunch of Gs and have never noticed major differences in the usual shaves they deliver, which I would not call aggressive. But, there are possible unusual factors.

My first amber handle G had damaged blade stops. My attempts to rebuild the stops was not very successful.

So I would suggest two things:

compare how well aligned the blades are, as they rest against the stops of the the two razors
and also
when you load blades, observe how cleanly the blade passes across the blade bed. Sometimes a blade will rub against the first stop as it loads, damaging the edge. I don't think that would increase aggression, but it might roughen your shave considerably.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Perhaps like some of the mis-struck coins or wongly printed stamps it will become a collectors item...

I am by no means an expert, but I am a voracious reader, and from what I can tell based on others’ thoughts, experiences, and knowledge, the Gs go from more to less aggressive throughout their run. From what I understand, most of, but not all, of the series follow the more to less aggressive throughout their run.
So A G1 may very well be more aggressive than a late E, but an early E would be more aggressive than an early G.

I do have a G1, and it is more aggressive than my N2, but by no means harsh. It has never even nicked me.

I will try out my E2 next week and have a comparison for my other Injectors.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I always struggle with the term(s): aggressive/aggression....as it relates to razors. To me, an aggressive razor is one that requires me to closely adhere to "correct technique" -- especially for that razor. Too much pressure and/or the wrong angle, and the result is irritation, weepers, a nick, potentially all of the above. As has been noted by others above, I just don't see a huge difference in "aggression" between the various Schicks. I have to work hard (i.e., willfully apply too much pressure and butcher the angle in order to get anything approaching a bad shave out of my Schicks....and that goes from the "Type A" repeater right through to my "Type O" clone (and everything in between). Now I have found a little difference in efficiency, but honestly, not enough for me to declare one as a "one-and-done shaver" and another as a "multi-pass-monster" -- the Schicks/Eversharps just don't register much variance to me. That being the case for me, it still didn't stop me from buying every model I could find, as well as multiple variants....but that's more of a sickness preference on my part than a need for multiple razors. :001_smile

Ron R

Sunday Schick Shave, Sept 12th, 2021

Razor: Schick adjustable injector M3- Mfg 1970-72, Excellent razor, well built even with plastic handle construction, good results & enjoy using it over the years.
Blade : Personna SS PTFE(1) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely over time + predictable.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, unique scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi "Viper" 24 mm boar, Excellent lather generator, nice split end hair smoothness tips + great scrubber+ great lather painter. New brush to the harem of brushes(Yaqi fanboy). Very nice boar bristle brush, I enjoy the handle ergonomics and color.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm. (Great balm scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Schick Adj injector M3 + a coated Personna injector blade.
SOTD,  Sep 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I don't know... I think vintage injectors razor are not as appreciated as vintage DEs and come even after Gem/Ever-Ready SE when it comes to new wet-shaving enthusiasts that approach vintage razors. Maybe they look too modern or too similar to the first cartridge razors. Not vintage enough. But a type I or J predate the "Fatboy", leave alone the type "G" or "E"!
That said, the first and only dating system available is Appleby's. With the resurgence of wet-shaving both the shaving forums and all the sellers on the auction sites adopted that system and with time it became the bible as far as Schick razors.
As soon as somebody starts to collect injectors, he realizes there's a lot to discover beyond that table and also some incongruences. I've just discovered this Yellow 1977 L1 when I believed they came only in white and orange. Maybe next month I'll discover a blue or green one. By Appleby's chart they only existed in black.

View attachment 1167666
I have just ordered a purple handled standard Schick type L. It is not a 500.
It is aimed at the female market as with the above mentioned purple 500.

Very nice specimens @Whiterook and @Tanuki! I have just lost a bid for a pristine G "66" and I am still sad. I love blue handles!

In the meantime I have just scored this beauty that appears to be a previously undocumented "Golden" L1 with a white handle. I'll have to wait a few days/weeks to arrive to Italy from France.

The razor features a style v.1 head, that clue would set the dating around 1972 but it could be a "Made in Holland" injector for the European market, hard to know until I'll handle the case. I am not so sure about the dating as the Twin blades were introduced in 1974 and renamed as Schick II a few years later. Could it been a 1977 "Golden" second run? Probably just a mismatched set.

View attachment 1170259
View attachment 1170260
My G4 Schick 66 is in mint condition.
Unbelievable considering it's age...

20190629_144457.jpg

Top Bottom