What's new

Schick injectors - A comprehensive guide

Some rambling thoughts. I don't know which criteria was used by Appleby to classify the entire Schick-Eversharp-Warner Lambert production.
Looking at the timetable i see three main classes of Injectors:

1) The Schick Repeating Razor (1926-1940). Apart from the fact that it uses injector blades I wouldn't even list it together with the later Schick injector razors even if it was the only designed by Jacob Schick himself.

2) Pre-post war Schick Injector razors (1934-1955). The one with the "art deco" head. Designed by Octavious V. Rodrigues.
Here Appleby made four distinct "types" (D-E-F-G) mainly based on the shape and the material of the handles.
Now, since 1939, how many zillions of different Gillette Techs have been made? Brass, bakelite, aluminum, plastic. Also so many different heads. But we just call them Techs, right?
In my opinion, the D-E-F-G distinction is too finicky.
There have been just a "Type D" razor. Same head as the early "Type E", it only differed for the scissor-like split metal handle. Only produced in 1934-1935. The same can be said about the "Type F". A special limited Christmas edition produced only for a few months. Same head geometry, same striations on the guard bar and same shave as a "Type E3/4/5".
Now with the "Types E" and "G" injector razors: the former had a bakelite handle and the latter a cheaper plastic one, pretty much the same razor except for some minor modifications through the years.

3) The "New" Schick Injector razors (1954-2001). Pretty much the same head for almost 50 years. Designed by Karl Leopold Kuhnl.
Here again Appleby made up six distinct "types" (Type I/J/K/L/N/O models) differentiating them by the shape of the handle. I would have rather differentiated them as:
1) Regular injector razors (same head for I/J/K/L/N/O models)
2) Hydro-magics (I/J/K/L "Types" includes at least a model with the hydro-magic lever)
3) Adjustables.

My two cents on the different efficiency of the Schick injectors through the years.
It has been said and proved that the "Type E" is the more efficient/aggressive of the injectors and the following models were milder and milder with the passing of time until they reached the bottom level of efficiency with the "Type N".
My speculation is, as the injector blades became better and sharper, they tuned the level of efficiency of the razors accordingly. The main selling point of the Schick marketing was "Shave your whiskers... not your face" and they were known to give a smoother and faster ("half the time") shave than the competition.
Imagine the poor every-day shaver in the 70's using a Krona or a Super-Platinium blade in a Schick razor as aggressive as a "Type E". Aaah, the blood!
Interesting thoughts!

Here is another undocumented razor. It has a dark blue handle, identical to the 66, but the head is gold plated. I have it in my inventory as a G4v2. I doubt it sold for 66 cents..
20201017_135202.jpg
20201017_135228.jpg

Thoughts?

Here is another undocumented razor. It has a dark blue handle, identical to the 66, but the head is gold plated. I have it in my inventory as a G4v2. I doubt it sold for 66 cents..

Here is my well used 'G4v2'. I agree the handle color is identical to my pristine Schick 66. The packaging shown (including the brass 20 blade magazine) is how the wild razor was sold as an inexpensive vintage mall item. I believe it is the original packaging.

It sure looks like it sat right next to the sink. I see that and think 'bachelor'.
14E73852-12D3-4268-B637-C32DE27F5792.jpeg

4726791F-88BB-4CCF-BA4A-0E7ABB55FCC7.jpeg

Very nice specimens @Whiterook and @Tanuki! I have just lost a bid for a pristine G "66" and I am still sad. I love blue handles!

In the meantime I have just scored this beauty that appears to be a previously undocumented "Golden" L1 with a white handle. I'll have to wait a few days/weeks to arrive to Italy from France.

The razor features a style v.1 head, that clue would set the dating around 1972 but it could be a "Made in Holland" injector for the European market, hard to know until I'll handle the case. I am not so sure about the dating as the Twin blades were introduced in 1974 and renamed as Schick II a few years later. Could it been a 1977 "Golden" second run? Probably just a mismatched set.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, OCtober 18th 2020

Razor: Schick injector J1- MFG 1957-64- milder mid range, excellent daily driver for some folks.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE injector (2) very sharp, longevity and smooths out over time.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: great shave with my Schick J1 injector.
Sunday Schick shave, Oct 17th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Sunday Schick shave, OCtober 18th 2020

Razor: Schick injector J1- MFG 1957-64- milder mid range, excellent daily driver for some folks.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE injector (2) very sharp, longevity and smooths out over time.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: great shave with my Schick J1 injector.
Sunday Schick shave, Oct 17th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I had one just like yours but it was one of the many razors I had to leave behind... :blue:

I'm deferring to @mata_66 on nomenclature. Meanwhile, was the little Mollé tube still in your 66 package? Mine had the 6 blade aluminum alloy dispenser and that was it. There may be blades inside. I haven't checked.
Yup, the unused tube is in there. Nope, I am not interested in trying the stuff. I think someone did though - was that you?

If that is so the it should probably have its own number, G9 perhaps? The 66 was a cheaper version and came in special packaging. Mine came with free brushless shaving cream.
View attachment 1170451
What say all?
I use my ‘66’ as my travel razor. Fits in a small container with a shaving stick and compact brush. Usually makes it through TSA. One time an agent pulled the blade.

I'm deferring to @mata_66 on nomenclature. Meanwhile, was the little Mollé tube still in your 66 package? Mine had the 6 blade aluminum alloy dispenser and that was it. There may be blades inside. I haven't checked.

I would still call it a gorgeous "Schick 66" even if presented in the rarer peculiar cardboard combo package.

schick_G.png

(The chart is still a work in progress, Type "E" and "G" still subject to changes)

Last edited:
Later, during the same year, Type "G1" vs. the competitor (Father's Day 1948)
06-16-48.jpg

Notice how the price jumped in a couple of months from 66c. to $1.25.
Including 20 injector blades wasn't a great idea because the Super-Speed was 25% cheaper.
Lesson learned as in 1950 Schick introduced the "98c. Kit" with a fancier travel case including "only" 12 injector blades (still two more than the competitor).

06-29-1950.jpg

Last edited:
Previously to the above mentioned "Molle bundle", during Spring 1948 Eversharp teamed with Colgate:
colgate1948-04-20.jpg

No special G was included here, probably the new G1 v.2 with "Eversharp Schick" stamped on the spring (1948-1952).

Will you list the gold head + blue handle as a G4v2 in the charts then? Or just a G4. Confused now.

Following what @BBS-1 did with his series "for dummies2 I'm leaning to differentiate the various versions (v.1, v.2, v.3) by the slight differences of the heads (markings, springs, ferrules, guards) rather than by the color of the handles.
The Turquoise (supposedly marketing for women) and the "66" are somehow special editions and their nomenclature as G5 and G4 is too well established in the shaving community to be changed. As far as the blue handle with the regular gold-plated head (the chrome "66" is rather the exception) maybe it should be cataloged among the various G1 versions depending on the slight differences between v.1, v.2 and v3.

Basically I would stick with Blue handle G1 or, too be picky meticulous, Blue Handle G1 v.2
G1_Wip_2020-10-19.png

Top Bottom