What's new

Schick injectors - A comprehensive guide

After I've spent the last few months recollecting pieces of information on the Gem style SE razors I have to come out of the closet and say I get my better shaves from an I2 Hydromagic Eversharp injector out of the +40 razors in my collection.

There was no need to compile another chart due to the fact it's already there, brilliantly published on Schick Injector Razors following the Alan Appleby classification. Who owns the brilliant "A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book" by Robert K. Waits already had access to further infos about these wonderful razors.
I just wanted to put together these two invaluable sources adding some extra, like a seasoning over a delicious recipe.

I'm not a huge fan of Col. Jacob Schick. Yes, he invented the first "injector" in the beautiful shape of a compact travel razor, where "the blade could be ejected with the speed of a cartridge clip from an automatic pistol", but his was a utilitarian invention, only to funds what it was his real focus: the first electric razor. Later he did what he can to avoid to pay taxes and ended his life as a runaway from justice.

I feel much more admiration for the genius minds, the dedication and inventive of two gentlemen, two immigrant mechanical engineers that through the decades shaped the injector razor as we know it and gifted us with a plethora of tremendous shaving tool: Octavius V. Rodrigues and Karl Leopold Kuhnl.

The history:

Col. Jacob Schick (September 16, 1877 – July 3, 1937) was an American inventor and entrepreneur who patented the first electric razor.

At the early age of 16, Schick was in charge of a railroad line that ran from Los Corrillos, New Mexico to a coal mine opened by his father. Schick enlisted in the 14th Infantry Regiment in 1898 and was shortly thereafter assigned to the Philippines in the 1st Division 8th Army Corps. He returned to the Philippines from 1903-1905 as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 8th Infantry Regiment. He returned to the U.S. suffering from dysentery, where one version of the invention story claims he conceived of the idea of an electric razor. He was promoted to first lieutenant and was transferred to the 22nd Infantry Regiment in Alaska a year later, where he helped to lay telegraph lines for the military. He officially separated from the military in 1910, but returned to duty from 1916-1918 as a Captain (eventually promoted to Lt. Colonel) due to the outbreak of World War I.

Schick left the army in 1919 and again devoted himself to his dream project of perfecting a dry shaver. In the interim, however, he needed capital, and to get this capital he ventured into the shaving business in another matter. Inspired by weaponry he saw in the service, and wondering why people would risk cutting themselves on new blades, Schick put his inventiveness to work to develop the Magazine Repeating Razor, and in 1925 he started a company of the same name. This company sought "to use the principles of repeating firearms in a safety razor not much larger than a good-sized fountain pen" which could readily be carried in the shirt pocket. It was the forerunner of the injector razor. The blades were sold in clips which were easily loaded into the razor without touching the blade....

Without further ado here it is the table I compiled. It's big, it's meant to be downloaded and used as a reference when you're offline. Or just to have as much information on Schick razor I could find at hand without having to browse too much searching for what you need.
I haven't put pictures of the razors otherwise it would have been HUGE. I will try to put pictures for every model later in this thread. Let's make it a gathering point for all the SE razor lovers :001_302:

schick_dating_chart_annotated.png

I love history and you didn't disappoint. I figure he did what he did to survive and while he may be no saint, neither am I. :a2:

That said, the other day I did two passes with a straight and followed with a Opening Type E on the area under my nose and promptly cut myself. The Type E is my favorite because it can handle tight spots and provide and overall excellent and effective shave. I enjoy the Bakelite Catalan handle. :a50:

Thank you for compiling and sharing this chart. You are indeed and gentleman and a scholar. :a14:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Good stuff, the Schicks remain my favorite format, after lo these grisly years. I've tried from A Type to O (using Applyby's classifications). There are some holes in the cited material, but it is the easy go-to for Injectorites

I have a two injectors which are not on the Appleby classification. A pseudo Schick 500 Hydro-magic, and a Lady Schick in yellow. It's half Type L and and half Type K Hydro-magic. I believe both are European.

proxy.php

Thank you for compiling and sharing this chart. You are indeed and gentleman and a scholar. :a14:

Thank you my friend :)

Good stuff, the Schicks remain my favorite format, after lo these grisly years. I've tried from A Type to O (using Applyby's classifications). There are some holes in the cited material, but it is the easy go-to for Injectorites

Surely there are holes. Who knows how many variations there were in the past. Sadly many information have been lost, it's not a subject people thought of preserving the memory and our hobby is still quite too recent.

I have a two injectors which are not on the Appleby classification. A pseudo Schick 500 Hydro-magic, and a Lady Schick in yellow. It's half Type L and and half Type K Hydro-magic. I believe both are European.

proxy.php

Yes, they were produced in the Netherlands. Injectors were popular in some European countries, especially in Greece where they rivaled with Gillette for many years. I suppose both Appleby and Waits took only US models into consideration.
And I don't have any doubt you have some rare specimens in your stable of unicorns! :001_302:

History can disappoint sometimes. King Gillette was also a utopian. Well, we all know how history looks at utopian societies.

Thanks for doing this. As one who is just getting re-interested in his razor collection this will help me identify what I have.
Steve

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well this should be a interesting thread and thanks again for compiling some interesting information like you do so well @mata_66 . I really enjoy my E2 Schicks that I have 4 of and I have a stick Schick L razor with a Twin II blade that gives easy shaves that are close and effortless IMO. Schick injector system IMO built a excellent blade system that is compact and is user friendly and should be part of any razor enthusiast den collection. The only negative might be the price per blade but it will give a regular 3 pass shave for around $.08-$.12 per shave or another view of longevity 8 to 12> reasonable shaves per blade.
Have some great shaves!

After I've spent the last few months recollecting pieces of information on the Gem style SE razors I have to come out of the closet and say I get my better shaves from an I2 Hydromagic Eversharp injector out of the +40 razors in my collection.

There was no need to compile another chart due to the fact it's already there, brilliantly published on Schick Injector Razors following the Alan Appleby classification. Who owns the brilliant "A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book" by Robert K. Waits already had access to further infos about these wonderful razors.
I just wanted to put together these two invaluable sources adding some extra, like a seasoning over a delicious recipe.

I'm not a huge fan of Col. Jacob Schick. Yes, he invented the first "injector" in the beautiful shape of a compact travel razor, where "the blade could be ejected with the speed of a cartridge clip from an automatic pistol", but his was a utilitarian invention, only to funds what it was his real focus: the first electric razor. Later he did what he can to avoid to pay taxes and ended his life as a runaway from justice.

I feel much more admiration for the genius minds, the dedication and inventive of two gentlemen, two immigrant mechanical engineers that through the decades shaped the injector razor as we know it and gifted us with a plethora of tremendous shaving tool: Octavius V. Rodrigues and Karl Leopold Kuhnl.

The history:

Col. Jacob Schick (September 16, 1877 – July 3, 1937) was an American inventor and entrepreneur who patented the first electric razor.

At the early age of 16, Schick was in charge of a railroad line that ran from Los Corrillos, New Mexico to a coal mine opened by his father. Schick enlisted in the 14th Infantry Regiment in 1898 and was shortly thereafter assigned to the Philippines in the 1st Division 8th Army Corps. He returned to the Philippines from 1903-1905 as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 8th Infantry Regiment. He returned to the U.S. suffering from dysentery, where one version of the invention story claims he conceived of the idea of an electric razor. He was promoted to first lieutenant and was transferred to the 22nd Infantry Regiment in Alaska a year later, where he helped to lay telegraph lines for the military. He officially separated from the military in 1910, but returned to duty from 1916-1918 as a Captain (eventually promoted to Lt. Colonel) due to the outbreak of World War I.

Schick left the army in 1919 and again devoted himself to his dream project of perfecting a dry shaver. In the interim, however, he needed capital, and to get this capital he ventured into the shaving business in another matter. Inspired by weaponry he saw in the service, and wondering why people would risk cutting themselves on new blades, Schick put his inventiveness to work to develop the Magazine Repeating Razor, and in 1925 he started a company of the same name. This company sought "to use the principles of repeating firearms in a safety razor not much larger than a good-sized fountain pen" which could readily be carried in the shirt pocket. It was the forerunner of the injector razor. The blades were sold in clips which were easily loaded into the razor without touching the blade....

Without further ado here it is the table I compiled. It's big, it's meant to be downloaded and used as a reference when you're offline. Or just to have as much information on Schick razor I could find at hand without having to browse too much searching for what you need.
I haven't put pictures of the razors otherwise it would have been HUGE. I will try to put pictures for every model later in this thread. Let's make it a gathering point for all the SE razor lovers :001_302:

View attachment 984371
Schick D was a 1934 release in some markets. Gimbel's ad is July 1934. The Schick ad is September '34. Both are from the Philadelphia Inquirer.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
D

dangerousrazor

I was wondering how M type and twin blade could be packed into one box set, which I'd seen from time to time. According to Appleby's classfication, M type was produced till 1972. It predates the known prodcution date of twin blade, 1973 or 1974.

And I've found a NOS M type set with Twin blade on the ebay.

Schick Injector Adjustable Razor 2 Teflon Blades NOS Card Original Package VTG | eBay

Screenshot_20190720-214238_eBay.jpg

From the photo 8 of 10, we can clearly see 1974 at the end of its packaging. So I think this can be updated on your wonderful spreadsheet.

The I 1 razors have at least 3 distinct variants and at least one of them probably should be designated as it's own model based upon the head design.

Here are the 2 more common variants one that says Schick Safety Razor only came I think in a white handle and was produced in only in early 1955 the other that says SCHICK came in the black handle. As you can see from the pictures which are not mine they have vastly different blade exposure. The one with the white handle has the same blade exposure as the I2 Hydro Magic.

IMG_0742.jpg IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0744.jpg

Third variant says Eversharp Schick whether this differs from those above I have no idea right now but will post back in the near future on this razor when I get a chance to compare. Pictures are from a completed sale on the unmentionable auction site.
i1a.jpg i1b.jpg i1c.jpg

If I had to classify them, the 2 with white handles should be I1 razors because they share the same spring with the hole in it and we do know that one of those was produced in 1955. The black handle one I2 and was produced after 1955, the Hydro Magic ones should be I3.

If those 2 white handle ones turns out to be different shavers and not just different cosmetically by the stamping on the razor head then I1 through I4 instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom