What's new

Schick Injector

i've been thinking about getting one of these, can the learned gentlemen of the forum give me some info/advice on these please
are they still produced? (i would prefer a new one)
blades easily found?
do they shave well?
all the important stuff

the dutch shaving shop has some but on this topic i don't know s**t from clay

thanks in advance

Last edited:
In brief, yes, they're still being produced but as far as I know the new ones are Japan-distributed and of dubious quality - there are plenty of vintage Schicks out there in great shape that you can pick up. Avoid the early bakelite handle "Eversharp" versions, I find them a bit aggressive. 50s-70s Schicks are the sweet spot.

Blades still widely available in retail outlets and via Ted Pella website.

They are awesome shavers, and may be my best shave, right up there with the Aristocrat.

Run a search for "injector" and you will find out all this and more...

The Shick Injector was possibly the most efficient safety razor shaving system invented. Inexpensive to make and a simple foolproof design that consistently gave outstanding shaves. The later models (post 1950's) were more gentle shavers. Once you adapt to the older bakelite models they can give great shaves too, especially if you like a more aggressive razor. They are also works of beauty and design. They are also much easier to find and cheaper to buy.

I dont know about the availability and quality of blades in Holland. That is the one issue that may cause problems. Many people only abandoned the injector because it became harder to find the blades.

The model L from the '60s-70s is a good shaver, as is the model M. They show up often on eBay. Be aware that various models come with different length handles; it took me two tries to score the right one for me (longer). There's always bidding for these going on. If you don't care to take your chances on the auctions, there are various sellers ready to take your money with "Buy Now" enticements. A Scandinavian fellow there sells NOS model L's at prices lower than his American counterparts, but they're still not cheap. Good luck.

Ron

do they shave well?

They shave incredibly well. The thicker blade doesn't bend when cutting whiskers so irritation is pretty much out.

I use one of the earliest models, the Schick Type E2, probably one of the most aggressive ones out there and I can't possibly hurt my neck with this thing no matter how hard I try. Best shaves ever.

There is no learning curve, just keep the head flat on your face (minor adjustments might be needed, though).

Whether you should go for the earlier (aggressive) models or the later ones (from type J on) depends on your beard and skin type. I need an aggressive razor to give me a close shave and my skin is fairly sensitive.

You can always go for the adjustable model to find the best setting for you.

My Type E gives me much better shaves than a DE.

Give them a try. I hope you will enjoy them.

They shave incredibly well. The thicker blade doesn't bend when cutting whiskers so irritation is pretty much out.

I use one of the earliest models, the Schick Type E2, probably one of the most aggressive ones out there and I can't possibly hurt my neck with this thing no matter how hard I try. Best shaves ever.

There is no learning curve, just keep the head flat on your face (minor adjustments might be needed, though).

Whether you should go for the earlier (aggressive) models or the later ones (from type J on) depends on your beard and skin type. I need an aggressive razor to give me a close shave and my skin is fairly sensitive.

You can always go for the adjustable model to find the best setting for you.

My Type E gives me much better shaves than a DE.

Give them a try. I hope you will enjoy them.

+1 Tottaly agree.
I have only 2 complaints.
1. More serious problem- hard to find blades... at least for me in Croatia (but today with paypal you can order a bulk that will last for quite some time.
2. They are so easy... you lose the danger factor. It's like shaving with a mach3- you cant cut yourself even if you try.:biggrin: The safest safety razor:biggrin:

Yes, I was in interested in the same questions after perusing the board a bit. As I understand it, the US production stopped around 1998 but the last true production model of type "O" was made by Schick of Japan from 1998 to about 2004 or so I think. I tried my best to locate one of these, but had no luck.

If you are after a true NOS one, they do pop up on the bay from time to time. I managed to get one nicely sealed for around 30 USD or so as I remember. If you watch the auctions, you may be able to find one around that as well. As mentioned, are some can be found on there all the time for a good bit more.

Best of luck!

My RAD is kicking in. I am becoming very curious about these injector thingies I just discovered! :lol:

Shave better than a DE?!:w00t:

i LOVE the type E. it is a bit aggresive for some, but those who use it share my feelings. ive never had a razor take more hair off in one pass. this razor paired w/ a REALLY good injector blade makes for an amazing shave.

What blades does everyone recommend for the injector? I am looking at E Types right now (I use aggressive razors anyway). What would you consider not purchasable?

What blades does everyone recommend for the injector? I am looking at E Types right now (I use aggressive razors anyway). What would you consider not purchasable?

So far I tried German and Chinese made Schicks, as well as the NOS blades made in Holland that came with my Injector. The Chinese blades are by far the best of the bunch. I also dabbled with cut-down Feather AC blades, but found them not that much better to justify all the trouble.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Another question. If you use an E type Injector do you use the same angle as you would with a DE? I am looking at the razor and I am wondering how to apply it to my face.

I don't like the look of the newer models, they seem TOO modern! :biggrin:
So I am a lot more attracted to the E models.

I'm using an L-type, but as far as I know, handling is the same for all models. Unlike a DE, you really don't have to worry about the blade angle. Just keep the razor's head flat on your face and shave away, there is practically no learning curve.

Here's a page from the directions for a Type M adjustable I have. They should be basically the same for all of them.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an adjustable that I bought and use it in rotation. They don't come up very often but when they do it is worth it. They usually sell for 25 or 30 dollars here and about the same on E-Bay. Next to a straight I think it provides the closest most irritation free shave.

i LOVE the type E. it is a bit aggresive for some, but those who use it share my feelings. ive never had a razor take more hair off in one pass. this razor paired w/ a REALLY good injector blade makes for an amazing shave.
+1

Type E = incredibly close shave. The blade gap on these beauties is wide enough to drive a MAC truck through. I think they're great, but I keep the styptic pencil near by. Am I crazy but is my Type E with the swing clasp that permits the head to open up less aggressive than my fixed head Type E?

+1 Tottaly agree.
I have only 2 complaints.
1. More serious problem- hard to find blades... at least for me in Croatia (but today with paypal you can order a bulk that will last for quite some time.
2. They are so easy... you lose the danger factor. It's like shaving with a mach3- you cant cut yourself even if you try.:biggrin: The safest safety razor:biggrin:

Yes you can.:confused:

Top Bottom