What's new

Schick injector VS. repeating magazine for a user that's totally blind

All right guys. I've been looking into different Schick injector types for a few weeks and have been a frequent lurker on B&B taking all the information in that I could. I'm totally blind and have never used an injector at all, but think it's nifty you can load and change blades without touching them. My question is, and I realize this may be difficult for people to answer, but are regular injectors or magazine repeating ones easier to inject/eject blades? The difficulty will be in looking at it from a non-visual perspective. On one hand, the magazines for the repeaters are hard to find but one can usually score some on ebay. The standard blades are easier but I'm looking at it in terms of compactness and travel options. It seems it is a self-contained system where 20 blades are stored in the handle for repeating injectors, the other way you have to make room for the container. If anyone could help me figure this out I'd greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately pictures will not help in the slightest. If it's found that magazine repeating ones aren't an easy option for loading because of me being blind, it's too complicated or whatever, which do you guys think is the easiest injector to load via the normal key system? Thanks a ton for any help.

I don't follow injector talk too closely, as I have a modern o-type replica and stick with that.

But those repeater magazines are quite old, yes? As in carbon steel blades. I haven't used carbon injector blades but I have in a double edge and I don't think you'd want to have them as your everyday blade.

I don't follow injector talk too closely, as I have a modern o-type replica and stick with that.

But those repeater magazines are quite old, yes? As in carbon steel blades. I haven't used carbon injector blades but I have in a double edge and I don't think you'd want to have them as your everyday blade.
Thanks for such a speedy reply. I know nothing about the O-types; I'm guessing they take standard injector blades? Is there a place for the key to open the head or is this unnecessary since modern?

The o-type is just like all of the modern injectors that use the keyed cartridge to load. It also works very well with the twin injector blades.

It's closest sibling is the L-type that is commonly discussed and one of the most readily available for cheap on eBay. The thing that makes the o-type different and what I really like is that it has a rubberized grip on the handle.

I have both the magazine injector (Type B) and modern key-injector (Type E, G, I, J, L, M and O-clone). The magazine injector razors require you to manually insert the blades into the magazine. The modern system (with Schick or Personna blades, not Prolines), allow you to replace the blade without fiddling. I’m not blind, but I find the magazine system, and the use of Prolines, a hassle. I’d recommend a modern key-injector razor.

I have both the magazine injector (Type B) and modern key-injector (Type E, G, I, J, L, M and O-clone). The magazine injector razors require you to manually insert the blades into the magazine. The modern system (with Schick or Personna blades, not Prolines), allow you to replace the blade without fiddling. I’m not blind, but I find the magazine system, and the use of Prolines, a hassle. I’d recommend a modern key-injector razor.
Thanks, great information to have. I think I'll go hunting on eBay for the O-type. Like Frstplce, would you recommend this over all the others excluding the B-type? I also thought about the early E2 type, as apparently that one opens without the use of a key. This would be if I ever got blades that didn't have a key. Thanks a million for all the help guys.

Thanks, great information to have. I think I'll go hunting on eBay for the O-type. Like Frstplce, would you recommend this over all the others excluding the B-type? I also thought about the early E2 type, as apparently that one opens without the use of a key. This would be if I ever got blades that didn't have a key. Thanks a million for all the help guys.

Great questions. My favorite Schick is the early E2 with a swiveling spring. Not only is it the best-performing razor of my lot (on my face, in my hand), but I can load it with either a key-magazine injector, or manually by swinging the spring to the left and moving the top cap off the base plate. (If my words don’t make sense, just let me know!) That way, I can use either a Chinese Schick blade (in a key magazine) or a Proline (a very nice blade, but its magazine has no key).

One advantage of the O-clone (which is less efficient on my face than the E2) is that you can use “twin” blades. The modern ones, from Japan, are expensive. The vintage ones (mine are Personnas) can be a good deal if you’re patient. And they all use a key for injecting.

Good luck! Part of the fun is to try things out. I do heartily recommend a razor that allows you to use a key injector.

Great questions. My favorite Schick is the early E2 with a swiveling spring. Not only is it the best-performing razor of my lot (on my face, in my hand), but I can load it with either a key-magazine injector, or manually by swinging the spring to the left and moving the top cap off the base plate. (If my words don’t make sense, just let me know!) That way, I can use either a Chinese Schick blade (in a key magazine) or a Proline (a very nice blade, but its magazine has no key).

One advantage of the O-clone (which is less efficient on my face than the E2) is that you can use “twin” blades. The modern ones, from Japan, are expensive. The vintage ones (mine are Personnas) can be a good deal if you’re patient. And they all use a key for injecting.

Good luck! Part of the fun is to try things out. I do heartily recommend a razor that allows you to use a key injector.
I can get an early E2 type on eBay as we speak for $24 plus $3.5 S&H. Is this a reasonable priced one? Apparently it's in great shape. Here's the link for picture-looking purposes, hopefully seller did a good job with photos.

Vintage Schick Injector Razor Bakelite Handle Type E2 Pivots to Open Great Shape | eBay

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can get an early E2 type on eBay as we speak for $24 plus $3.5 S&H. Is this a reasonable priced one? Apparently it's in great shape. Here's the link for picture-looking purposes, hopefully seller did a good job with photos.

Vintage Schick Injector Razor Bakelite Handle Type E2 Pivots to Open Great Shape | eBay

The vendor's photos on eBay are not 100% the best pictures I've ever seen, but the razor looks pretty good to me. The seller does not accept returns but does represent the razor as being in great shape (that should mean that if it is not in great shape eBay will force a refund).

The E-2 open to clean razor is not all that easy to find.

E-2.640.7-18.JPG

The Type E-2 is said to vary considerably. I'm only familiar with one, mine, and mine is a truly great little razor. It is nimble and very easy to use. I generally shave with a quite steep angle when I use it so the handle is close to touching my face. Sometimes I shave at the design angle using the guard and the cap. At any angle the razor works quite well.

I like the open to clean feature of this E-2 because you can easily use various blades such as the Proline B, but what I use in mine is a standard Schick Chick injector blade and it does a very good job.

8-17-18.MdC.L-3.Kit.649.JPG

It's hard for me to say which of my injectors is my favorite. It might be the Type E-2, but it could also be my Type L-3 with the tennis racket grip. It looks funny for a razor handle and is kinda gimmicky but it may be my very favorite razor handle for actually shaving. I use a Schick Injector 11 TWIN blade in it and the blade lasts forever.

TypeO.TypeOClone.Top.Shiny.Name.640.JPG

The ebarbershop Type O clone is a very nice injector. It is an exact clone of the very expensive and rare Schick Type O razor. Yes, I have both so I know how exact the clone is. I use the TWIN blade in the Type O clone.

I included photos in case someone is helping you find razors on eBay or elsewhere.

I do not think I can imagine what dealing with razors would be like without being able to see. However, as I think of it I would suspect a good injector might be the perfect razor for you. These razors are all quite easy to use once you get the angle down. Think steep for the angle. Use a light touch and they injector might be the easiest shave ever.

I don't know that anything I said will be helpful, but I hope it might be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

We're not really allowed to appraise the value of an active auction, but the razor does appear to be an E2, which can be opened for cleaning as well as accommodating an injector magazine. I'm not sure how advisable it would be for a blind person to use the opening feature because the blade is not securely held and can fall out. The whole idea behind the injector razor was to avoid handling the blades, and a razor that allows that goal to be obviated defeats the purpose of an injector. If you get that razor, I would advise you to stick with injector razors and magazines that have a key.

For a similar reason, I would not recommend getting one of the razors that have a magazine built in to the handle, such as the Types A, B, and C. They rely on a cartridge tray that must be loaded with blades manually, and this poses two difficulties. First, you have to find a cartridge or an empty tray, then you must load it up with modern blades unless you can find some New Old Stock cartridges for them. As mentioned above, the original blades in those cartridges are nearly 100 years old and may not be any good, and they can be very expensive--really only good for a collector. Second, even if you can get an empty cartridge and manage to load it without cutting yourself, modern blades are thicker than the original blades and tend to jam up the razor when trying to load them from the cartridge in the handle.

Your best bet would be to get a Type E or later, plan to use it exclusively with external magazines that have a key, and avoid the magazines that lack a key. After all, those are really meant for the hair shapers used by beauticians, not really for injector razors.

By the way, eBarbershop went out of business last month, and the Type O clones are no longer available.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We're not really allowed to appraise the value of an active auction, but the razor does appear to be an E2, which can be opened for cleaning as well as accommodating an injector magazine. I'm not sure how advisable it would be for a blind person to use the opening feature because the blade is not securely held and can fall out. The whole idea behind the injector razor was to avoid handling the blades, and a razor that allows that goal to be obviated defeats the purpose of an injector. If you get that razor, I would advise you to stick with injector razors and magazines that have a key.

For a similar reason, I would not recommend getting one of the razors that have a magazine built in to the handle, such as the Types A, B, and C. They rely on a cartridge tray that must be loaded with blades manually, and this poses two difficulties. First, you have to find a cartridge or an empty tray, then you must load it up with modern blades unless you can find some New Old Stock cartridges for them. As mentioned above, the original blades in those cartridges are nearly 100 years old and may not be any good, and they can be very expensive--really only good for a collector. Second, even if you can get an empty cartridge and manage to load it without cutting yourself, modern blades are thicker than the original blades and tend to jam up the razor when trying to load them from the cartridge in the handle.

Your best bet would be to get a Type E or later, plan to use it exclusively with external magazines that have a key, and avoid the magazines that lack a key. After all, those are really meant for the hair shapers used by beauticians, not really for injector razors.

By the way, eBarbershop went out of business last month, and the Type O clones are no longer available.

I agree with Steve, but eBarbershop is reopening October 1st according to their website, so the Type O clones will be back on the market.

This is very good news I think even though I have three of the razors. The one I use + a heir and a spare. Purchased on the theory they would never be available again.

Happy shaves with your E-2. It will not work properly with a TWIN blade, but the Schick Chick blades are nice in it.

Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Best advice here - I have them all, A to O, and use the E & adjustable M most often. I don't like the later ones, too mild for my tastes..

but, the Magazine Repeaters are fiddly, though I use mine once in a while. The Schicks descended in efficiency over the years, with the G on being too mild for me. The E is the bomb, modern Chick blade works well. I understand the travel constraints, but unless you are travelling over a couple weeks one Chick blade should do you as good as a modern cart. I have steel wool and they go a dozen shaves most of the time, when I count

Best advice here - I have them all, A to O, and use the E & adjustable M most often. I don't like the later ones, too mild for my tastes..

but, the Magazine Repeaters are fiddly, though I use mine once in a while. The Schicks descended in efficiency over the years, with the G on being too mild for me. The E is the bomb, modern Chick blade works well. I understand the travel constraints, but unless you are travelling over a couple weeks one Chick blade should do you as good as a modern cart. I have steel wool and they go a dozen shaves most of the time, when I count
The main concern I had with travel constraints is that I usually fly back to my hometown twice a year and was worried about taking the injector and blades in a carry-on; I don't usually take checked luggage. In any case, I think the E-2 was gotten for a steal and it'll be about half what I paid for 20 blades, so not too bad considering a sealed L-1 and some blades was going to run me a little over 70 bucks. I realize the problem with commenting on active auctions, I mainly asked because of photos and not being able to see them and because sometimes sellers on eBay like to charge an arm and a leg. Case and point, I got a Gillette Slim Adjustable the other day plus some unidentified freebie razor for 20 bucks, they normally go for 50 bucks on bid wars. I just figured you guys could advise since you've bought numerous injector types and what not. Jim, thank you for your helpful comments. I've used cartridge razors for years because I grew up on them thinking that was the norm, switched to DE recently as a product test, (I do a lot of online surveys/product tests because it's extra income and who doesn't love extra income), loved that shave and started looking into other alternatives. As for Xxvaleria's post, I plan on mainly using keyed magazines but have heard from people on eBay how sometimes magazines don't come with keys so wanted to make sure I had another option in mind if I needed it. Other than the travel constraints I could possibly experience from airport security, the only other reason I was looking into the repeaters was I found some for 17 bucks on eBay for a 20-pack, that's why I asked about them. Thank you guys so much for all your help, I feel right at home here already. Any other info you think I need to know, feel free to post and I'll report back once I get the razor as to how it shaves and how user-friendly it is for me being blind. It's definitely a unique perspective from where you guys stand :). Happy shaves everyone!

The main concern I had with travel constraints is that I usually fly back to my hometown twice a year and was worried about taking the injector and blades in a carry-on; I don't usually take checked luggage. In any case, I think the E-2 was gotten for a steal and it'll be about half what I paid for 20 blades, so not too bad considering a sealed L-1 and some blades was going to run me a little over 70 bucks. I realize the problem with commenting on active auctions, I mainly asked because of photos and not being able to see them and because sometimes sellers on eBay like to charge an arm and a leg. Case and point, I got a Gillette Slim Adjustable the other day plus some unidentified freebie razor for 20 bucks, they normally go for 50 bucks on bid wars. I just figured you guys could advise since you've bought numerous injector types and what not. Jim, thank you for your helpful comments. I've used cartridge razors for years because I grew up on them thinking that was the norm, switched to DE recently as a product test, (I do a lot of online surveys/product tests because it's extra income and who doesn't love extra income), loved that shave and started looking into other alternatives. As for Xxvaleria's post, I plan on mainly using keyed magazines but have heard from people on eBay how sometimes magazines don't come with keys so wanted to make sure I had another option in mind if I needed it. Other than the travel constraints I could possibly experience from airport security, the only other reason I was looking into the repeaters was I found some for 17 bucks on eBay for a 20-pack, that's why I asked about them. Thank you guys so much for all your help, I feel right at home here already. Any other info you think I need to know, feel free to post and I'll report back once I get the razor as to how it shaves and how user-friendly it is for me being blind. It's definitely a unique perspective from where you guys stand :). Happy shaves everyone!

If this gets posted twice my bad, feel free for one of the mods to delete the second one. I got the E-2 and unidentified razor from Slim purchase was an injector as well, though I'm not sure what type. I'm thinking of getting a Repeater type just for collection purposes and some NOS blades for them and found some on eBay but wanted to make sure they were the right type. If someone could take a look and just let me know if these are correct I'd appreciate it. Getting keyd injector blades soon and can't wait for new shaves. Thanks guys.

7 packages of Schick Injector Blades, NOS - 20 blades each | eBay

Brother Lynch,

I agree with this. Also I would avoid the very aggressive Type E. I think a milder injector might be better for a sight impaired person, say a Type G, I, J, or L.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Brother Lynch,

I agree with this. Also I would avoid the very aggressive Type E. I think a milder injector might be better for a sight impaired person, say a Type G, I, J, or L.

I'm going to be interested in the experiences the OP has with his razor.

Manchurian.Copper.E-2.MdC.Kit.640.5-18.JPG

I've heard that the Type E razors vary considerably. Apparently some Type E razors are very aggressive. My open to clean Type E is not aggressive at all. Here I mean not aggressive as in not prone to biting. My Type E is very easy to shave with, and a smooth, comfortable, reasonably efficient razor.

I've found that I can use my E-2 at all sorts of angles and that I can throw it about on my face and neck with reckless abandon.

When I first began with injectors there was a learning curve. That was with me using the ebarbershop Type O clone and a TWIN blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom