What's new

Schick injector users - how many shaves per blade?

A couple of questions for all you Shick injector razor users. Typically, how many shaves do you get per blade? Right now, all I have are the made in China (Chick) Schick blades. So far so good however, are there any other blades anyone would recommend that you feel are sharper and will provide the most shaves per blade or am I good to continue using the "Chick" blades? I am a newbie to the world of injector razors so that's why the questions.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I just had the tenth shave with a Personna this morning and it's still going strong. The Supply Black Labels give out for me on the sixth or seventh shave, but the Schicks and Personnas keep on giving. I'm going with twelve to fifteen shaves of my formerly reddish brown hair.

the Chick blades are my favorite, and I get 8 to 10 shaves with them. I also like the Schick Prolines B-20 -- but honestly, the Chicks are easier to come by and I would just stay with them.

Thanks for the input. For me there is nowhere locally selling any injector blades let alone the "Chick" ones. I have no choice but to order them online but as you say they are easy to find just pricey. Unlike DE blades I know there is not as big a selection of injector blades on the market. The Personna and the Supply brands seem to be the ones I see for sale mostly. I have seen some good deals on the Personna blades and may try them in the future but for now I will stick with the "Chick" ones.

The made-in-China Schick "Chicks" are the best I've experienced. I have tough "old man whiskers" on an 85-year-old face. I easily get 10 to 14 high quality shaves from them. I shave daily and I do conventional 3 pass shaves.

Excellent! 10 to 14 shaves are pretty good! A 7-blade dispenser will last me quite a while if I can get that many shaves per blade. :thumbsup:

Back when I was doing one pass shaves with canned foam I would change the blade once a month. It really didn't seem to need it, but it was easy to remember the first of the month. Back then I used Long's Drugs branded Personnas and Schicks made in the US.

Today was the 19th shave on a Chinese Schick. I didn’t realize I has so many shaves in on the blade. It was very smooth and comfortable, though it wasn’t as sharp and efficient as it used to be. Still DFS without having to buff or work hard.

My favorite blade in my M-Adjustable is the bonded Twin blades from Japan, they last seeming for ever, I've gone over 20 shaves on a blade, which helps given they're more expensive.

I use the the standard yellow-card Schick injector blades. I have found no local source, so I just order them in bulk on Amazon.
I have extremely course stubble that is a challenge in shaving. I shave every day. I used to get about 4 or 5 days out of my trusty old NACET DE blades, but I was changing out these Schick injector blades every two weeks with no ill effect.
Since they are more expensive and are not as readily available, I experimented by going a whole month, 30 shaves, with one blade before changing it out. It was still performing very well and only felt a tiny bit more dull than when it was fresh.
YMMV, but from what I experienced, getting a good 14-30 days out of one of these isn’t all that crazy. 😃

I just finished my 16th three-pass shave with the Schick yellow-card made in China injector blades. I'll probably switch to a new blade, but I might be able to get more.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use mainly the Personna injector blades and the yellow packaged Schick, Personna blades are the least expensive ( I buy mine from Connaught shaving UK and takes 2-3 weeks to arrive). Like @cyberdog mentioned the Schick Twin II blades from Japan are sharp and have a lot of longevity, I got over 30 shaves with one in my Stick Schick L type injector. The Schick Twin II blades are pricy, I buy them at the big auction house only when they have a good sale going on.

I use mainly the Personna injector blades and the yellow packaged Schick, Personna blades are the least expensive ( I buy mine from Connaught shaving UK and takes 2-3 weeks to arrive). Like @cyberdog mentioned the Schick Twin II blades from Japan are sharp and have a lot of longevity, I got over 30 shaves with one in my Stick Schick L type injector. The Schick Twin II blades are pricy, I buy them at the big auction house only when they have a good sale going on.
I’ve switched almost exclusively to the Personnas, and also get them from Connaught. Once I use up the few Schick blades I have left I’ll likely never buy them again.

In my experience and high mileage, 'Chick' (yellow package) and Japanese Schick Twins (Connaught in England has the best price) are the most comfortable, sharpest and consistent contemporary blades.

I get that many comfortables shaves from each:

- 6 from Personnas (Ted Pellas, Parkers)
- 8 from Supplys, Japanese Schicks and Prolines
- 10-12 from Chicks and Twins

Chicks and Twins are on par with the best injectors blades ever produced, exception done for a few exceptional blades like the vintage Schick Super Stainless with Krona Edge, the Schick Super Platinum and the Gillette Super Platinum.
Personna 74s go on forever but they are not as comfortables as the ones above.

Today I had my 21st shave with a Chinese Schick. The blade remains smooth, but is losing sharpness. I’m not sure I’ll get many more (any?) shaves from it.

I‘m afraid I’ve always lost count as I don’t use a Schick every day. However, if I were to guess I would say I have probably gotten twenty two pass shaves out of a Schick Proline.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My take is that either the Personnas (cheaper) or Chinese Schicks (sharper for me) last at least twice as long as a good DE blade. My limited experience with the Prolines is they are about the same, but more expensive. I haven't counted shaves in some time, but found the Supply brand lacking in longevity compared to the others. I prefer NOS Plus Platinums or Personna 74's, both of which last considerably longer but unfortunately are getting hard to find.

Top Bottom